Fat Shark Predator V2 - FPV Goggles at HK

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Hi Guys,

Just a quick not to let you know Hobby King have listed a new item! Fat Shark Predator V2 ! Looks like they are pretty good value for money considering you get the camera and a 250mw vTX.

I've just purchased a set for Thomas (my son) :D

28342P3(1).jpg

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
I always forget to switch on ht until after I land... Looking forward to hearing how they go. Looks like a good deal. And good that they've got a wider angle lens on the camera in addition to the higher power tx.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Well I'm interested to see if the quality of the camera is any better than the one I got last time.

For example I know if you use the stock camera as we do with the Mini Skywalker you would be disappointed in the quality from the FatShark Predators, but when I fly the Bixler with the SecurityCamera 2000, the Predator vision looks great. Over the course of the next 7 days we plan on doing heaps of FPV and if time permits possible a few longer flights out to 4-5klms

I would love to know what sort of Video range I can get out of the Mini Skywalker with the 100mw system. I've only ever been out to 1K with it and the video was solid :)

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
The new lens should let in more light, but I'm not convinced about CMOS cameras being suitable for FPV...

Carbon

Elemental Madness
I just got to use my Sony 600tvl camera and it works very well so far. I havn't FPV'ed with it, but it gives a clear picture when it was dark in my house.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
The main thing needed for FPV is the Wide Dynamic Range as there is nothing worse than when the ground has no detail in it at all. Fingers crossed that the new camera is better and if not it really doesn't matter because its still worth the money :)

I'm thinking of putting a KeyChain HD Camera on the Mini Skywalker, only because the little bird gets used so much.

Now of all the orders I've ever done with HK, this is the first time I'm in no hurry at all . . Just received a notification that its packed in its box ready for shipping!! Wow that was quick.

Nonamerc

Arman
The stock camera that they send with your package is OK but for long range flights it's better to use an other camera since this camera emits allot of RF noise. Allot of UHF users have problems with this camera, they did not gave us the name but by the looks it's the same camera.

bmsweb

Site Moderator
The stock camera that they send with your package is OK but for long range flights it's better to use an other camera since this camera emits allot of RF noise. Allot of UHF users have problems with this camera, they did not gave us the name but by the looks it's the same camera.

Seriously what could you possibly be expecting?? You're paying less than $300 for Goggles, Video TX and a Camera.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
The new lens should let in more light, but I'm not convinced about CMOS cameras being suitable for FPV...

Sorry, I should qualify this... CMOS without a really big fat processor generally isn't great for FPV. The GoPro is CMOS and some people reckon it's alright for FPV. I'm going to give my HK wing cam (the cheap 720p 30fps one) a try for FPV as it seems to cope OK with light changes.

Btw, waiting with bated breath for your review of the new kit...

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Hi Guys, I just got my hands on the V2 and I must say the Optics are better than V1 and the Camera kills V1 also plus much wider angle lens. These are great value!

Will upload unboxing and video from the camera as soon as I get a chance :) Captured the video of Thomas unboxing it today will try to get the video up in the next few days :)

BTW: What sucks is Thomas will now have better goggles than me :'(

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Here it is :) Found a number of little things that are also different but I won't do a follow up for a few weeks until we've had a good play with them. All in all they are great value!

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
congratz Thomas ! nice present ! (nice daddy too)

my birthday is coming soon ..... might give me the same present :D ... that if i dont misbehave HA HA HA

Paul dont you have a buddycode for that ?

Last edited:

bmsweb

Site Moderator
Paul dont you have a buddycode for that ?

I Only got a buddy code for the Prop and the Patch antenna :(

Between Wife and Son, I will be broke :(
Actually in all honesty he's done really well at school so I think he's kept up his end of the bargain.

I can't get over the improvements they have made on these. I also discovered the Rubber eye cups are locked in so they won't come off like mine do. Looks like FatShark have gone to town on these and improved every aspect of the goggle. I'm actually thinking I may end up selling mine and buying a set of these.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
Fixed the eye cups? That's great! Whenever I pass the goggles to my kids they pull the eye cups half off. The most annoying thing I've found with the V1 is that the battery pulls the goggles down on the right side. Have they done anything about this?

bmsweb

Site Moderator
. .I've found with the V1 is that the battery pulls the goggles down on the right side. Have they done anything about this?

I honestly don't know. I picked them up from Australia Post in the morning but didn't open it until Thomas got home from school. So the video was taken late evening. Once I get more time on them, I will know what other improvements have been made. I will try my best to confirm and make notes of what ever else I discover. I do know what you mean about the Battery.