Father/Daughter Simple Scout Build

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
@FL_Engineer for the simple scout it doesn’t matter. On some of the warbirds and other swappable planes, the two round holes need to be on the top to mount in the fuselage.
I thought he was asking about the square wire hole being in a different corner. Which can happen depending on which side of the firewall you glue to the pod. Either way your good as long as the 2 round holes are at the top.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
My biggest correction for prop torque, is taking off at about half-throttle. The first few flights, I went full throttle, and the prop torque imparted a significant bank. At half throttle, it rolls forward, the tail lifts first, and then it lifts off nicely.
Yea the throttle should be progressive, to punchy and bad things happen :oops:

FL_Engineer

Elite member
Still waiting on servos and esc but beefed up v-stable and the thin piece of the h-stable with bbq skewers. Tried to keep the weight to a minimum but I'm sure I'll benefit from a more robust airframe. 🛬💥

Also buttoned up the motor to the firewall with the help of some red loctite.

slowjo

Master member
Made some progress last night; unfortunately it may be turning into a solo build 😐. Hopefully she'll get back into it when we get some paint on it... Lessons learned so far:

1. Josh is a wizard.

2. The sharper the blade the better

3. Don't use said sharp blade to cut all the way through the paper. Do use said blade to separate a horrible joint for re-glueing.

I think I've managed to keep my joints straight and I think it will clean up with a little sand paper and paint. What do you guys use for cleaning up smeared glue joints I don't always get a chance to clean them up before it cools (gun is 40w)

View attachment 152914
I iron them under wax paper, you can push it back to the joint, I leave the wax paper on the plane till its cool then it peels right off, ive also used an old solder iron with a round blunt end, as its heating up you can form bumpy, sloppy hot glue, mine is adjustable , but you could unplug it when it gets too hot

FL_Engineer

Elite member
So I'm I'm still waiting on parts but I tried to test fit my props and apparently the output shaft is a couple mm larger than the center hole for the prop. I originally assumed they would be friction fit but now I see the motor came with a prop hub. Unfortunately the hole in the props I bought are not large enough for the hub or motor. Did I buy quad props buy mistake? Anyway to use these or should I just find a different prop?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
So I'm I'm still waiting on parts but I tried to test fit my props and apparently the output shaft is a couple mm larger than the center hole for the prop. I originally assumed they would be friction fit but now I see the motor came with a prop hub. Unfortunately the hole in the props I bought are not large enough for the hub or motor. Did I buy quad props buy mistake? Anyway to use these or should I just find a different prop?
You can progressively drill them out using a drill and bits, start small and step it up a few times. As long as the hub will allow for it, Like the hole can't be bigger then the props center hub lol. Do you have pics?

FL_Engineer

Elite member
Here's the prop...

IMG_20200105_135020.jpg

I'm starting to lean towards returning and buying something else. I could put them on the drill press and drill them out but it seems like a lot of work and I may end up with unbalanced/ compromised props. Any suggestions on cheap props for my 2212 1400kv? I'd like to order from Amazon if possible given the quick shipping.

Last edited:

mach1 rc

Master member
Here's the prop...

View attachment 153410

I'm starting to lean towards returning and buying something else. I could put them on the drill press and drill them out but it seems like a lot of work and I may end up with unbalanced/ compromised props. Any suggestions on cheap props for my 2212 1400kv? I'd like to order from Amazon if possible given the quick shipping.
I would just try to drill in the middle of the propeller. Then to balance it tape some sand paper on a table rev up your motor with the prop in and sand the tips of the prop to make it balanced.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
I would just try to drill in the middle of the propeller.
Yes
tape some sand paper on a table rev up your motor with the prop in and sand the tips of the prop to make it balanced.
NO! That's how somebody loses a kidney bro. That won't balance a prop but will make your tips even if anything.
I could put them on the drill press and drill them out but it seems like a lot of work and I may end up with unbalanced/ compromised props.
99% of the props you buy off the shelf are unbalanced, causing vibration throughout the motor and into the airframe, wearing out things prematurely. You should be balancing new props before they go on any plane. In this case you have definitely got the wrong prop for the mounting application to the motor. The prop hub will support drilling it out, and on a drill press is ideal. I just didn't know what sort of size range we were dealing with so that's why I said "progressively". You will need to use the prop adapter and that would be the size you want to drill it out to. If you were to use the one bit the right size to get the prop to fit on the adapter then there is a higher chance the hole would end up off center and causing more imbalance issues. If you step it up a couple sizes at a time then you have a better chance of staying on center. Here I have a vid that might help...

Hoomi

Master member
You'll find that many props come drilled with a small hole purposely, with the idea that the user will drill the hole to the correct size. It's easier to enlarge a hole than it is to reduce it. Some plastic/nylon props come with a large hole, and inserts for sizing down, for a more "universal" fit.

Decent props aren't that much more expensive than cheap props, and for the difference in value, it's just not worth going cheap. The original prop that came stock with my Dynam Waco was way out of balance, and I decided it was better in the long run to replace it with a better quality prop that was much better balanced out of the package. While Flite Test shipments aren't quite as fast as Amazon, they do tend to arrive in a reasonable time anyway. I can't speak for anyone else, but I'd rather support a business like Flite Test or Motion RC, than a generic place off Amazon. I know what kind of customer service I can expect from those two businesses.

Hoomi

Master member
I think you'll love the Simple Scout. I put two more flights on mine yesterday, and even at reduced rates on the controls, she can still roll over faster than a member of Congress for a deep-pockets lobbyist. She's one sweet-flying airplane!