Father/Daughter Simple Scout Build

daxian

Elite member
@FL_Engineer those props are designed to work with the prop saver/adapter ,i think ! set on the 3mm motor shaft it uses a rubber band to fasten the prop ...i.e : IMG_20200107_104505.jpg

FL_Engineer

Elite member
Still patiently waiting on supplies. The wait has allowed me time to think about my next build (assuming all goes generally well). After much debate I've settled on the FT Spitfire. I know it's odd to be talking about a second build when I haven't flown my first one but I've been bitten by the bug and well, you know... I'm still spit-balling on the Spit 😀 but any recommendations on a c pack equivalent motor? Been looking at possibly the Turnigy 2830 1000kv but I'm open.

FL_Engineer

Elite member
Broke down and ordered a second ESC and batch of servos... ESC arrived yesterday and I was able to get the connectors soldered and the motor spun up with the prop. No noticeable vibrations and I still have both eyes so I call that a win. I don't have a lot of experience with electrical soldering so all I had was tinning flux for plumbing which seemed to work marginally well but doesn't keep the iron clean. Outside of online retailers I don't even know where to go for electrical style flux; any suggestions?

Also, my daughter has selected Rustoleum "Poppy Pink" and white as our color scheme so we will play with some ideas and see how it turns out. Servos should arrive today so we should finally be able to button her up. I'm still counting on using the the other ESC and servos for a second build should they ever arrive (pretty much sold on the Spitfire).

Hoomi

Master member
IIRC, many plumbing fluxes are acid based, which is not a good match for electronic soldering. There should be an electronics supply somewhere near you, though many hardware stores also sell supplies for electrical soldering. Look for a rosin flux, or a rosin-core solder.

K3V0

Elite member
Also, my daughter has selected Rustoleum "Poppy Pink" and white as our color scheme so we
It’s gonna turn out great! We need more pink planes!😁
0EA94BD3-C869-4AAC-AA23-D41378B6C64B.jpeg
I’m a big fan of rustoleum too! I also found another brand of spray paint that has a ton of color options.
3DE3AB5F-4A8F-4FCB-9AAE-F43EEBD0FBB1.jpeg
it’s a German company called Montana colors. A couple of dollars more per can but the options are sweet!

Attachments

• 2C835AAB-1033-43E9-A562-B3277E698D93.jpeg
    2C835AAB-1033-43E9-A562-B3277E698D93.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0

FL_Engineer

Elite member
Cut in the ailerons last night. I once again cut too deep on the bevels and was forced to go a little heavy on the glue to repair. I think I'll do shallow cuts on the next plane and sand them as I liked the sanded finish. My biggest issue seems to be with the power pod... I took my time and had it all the way back then skewed it from each side but it is a PITA to get lined up. In the process I destroyed the holes in the foam. Used some plastic card material to reinforce and still not much better. I actually ended up trying to glue the pod in at one point but that didn't work out.
IMG_20200121_071216.jpg

I did get it installed long enough to try a quick test flight in the front yard and IT FLIES! I'm not calling it a maiden since I only let it go about 20 feet before cutting the throttle.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
The Scout is looking good. And the Spitfire is a really good choice. If you like the Scout you will really like the Spitfire. I have a thread with some build tips on the Spitfire if you choose to go that direction, you can use it to post your progress on there as well. Here is a link to it.

I also noticed that you said you had some issues with cutting the hinges. There are some decent building tips on this thread here. The one you really might like is the Iron Edges technique. This will really help the look of the Spitfire actually, seems like you are the kind of guy who likes a clean build and this is something that really helped me out a ton
Each video has a link into the next vid, 3 short vids but it is quality stuff
If you like the video please subscribe, check out some of my other flight vids to, they can be entertaining if you like crashes :ROFLMAO:

FL_Engineer

Elite member
The Scout is looking good. And the Spitfire is a really good choice. If you like the Scout you will really like the Spitfire. I have a thread with some build tips on the Spitfire if you choose to go that direction, you can use it to post your progress on there as well. Here is a link to it.

I also noticed that you said you had some issues with cutting the hinges. There are some decent building tips on this thread here. The one you really might like is the Iron Edges technique. This will really help the look of the Spitfire actually, seems like you are the kind of guy who likes a clean build and this is something that really helped me out a ton
Each video has a link into the next vid, 3 short vids but it is quality stuff
If you like the video please subscribe, check out some of my other flight vids to, they can be entertaining if you like crashes :ROFLMAO:

Thanks, I actually subscribed a few weeks ago! I like you're ironing technique and actually had mild success with it on the fuse in a few spots. I need to invest in my own iron though as I have trouble with parchment and wish to stay married :ROFLMAO:

The P-40 is now tempting me as well. I think you've built both; of the two which is easier / did you enjoy more, Spit or P-40?

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Thanks, I actually subscribed a few weeks ago! I like you're ironing technique and actually had mild success with it on the fuse in a few spots. I need to invest in my own iron though as I have trouble with parchment and wish to stay married :ROFLMAO:

The P-40 is now tempting me as well. I think you've built both; of the two which is easier / did you enjoy more, Spit or P-40?
I would say build wise the are about the same. Mine are always modified somehow so I complicate the build some modified, the Spit mostly for functionality. If I was to do it again I would do it differently then I did the first time. If you do the Spit I would recommend not having the removable wing, it creates more damage then necessary on impacts.

The P-40 was again a build that I modified even more then the Spit with a formed shaped nose intake and under the tail, oh and the speed wing and top battery hatch. So the build was a little more intensive then the Spit. Both flew amazing. The P-40 has larger tail surfaces so it has a bit more authority then the Spit, but my Spit was a 3 channel AET bank and yank so the flights were somewhat different comparatively as well. I would say do either, for the pros and cons they are both fairly easy to build stock, the Spit might be a bit more of a friendly flyer if you need it yet still grow with you if you want to punch it up.

Build both, there are plenty of people who loved their P-40's as well

FL_Engineer

Elite member
I would say build wise the are about the same. Mine are always modified somehow so I complicate the build some modified, the Spit mostly for functionality. If I was to do it again I would do it differently then I did the first time. If you do the Spit I would recommend not having the removable wing, it creates more damage then necessary on impacts.

The P-40 was again a build that I modified even more then the Spit with a formed shaped nose intake and under the tail, oh and the speed wing and top battery hatch. So the build was a little more intensive then the Spit. Both flew amazing. The P-40 has larger tail surfaces so it has a bit more authority then the Spit, but my Spit was a 3 channel AET bank and yank so the flights were somewhat different comparatively as well. I would say do either, for the pros and cons they are both fairly easy to build stock, the Spit might be a bit more of a friendly flyer if you need it yet still grow with you if you want to punch it up.

Build both, there are plenty of people who loved their P-40's as well

Thanks, looking at the battery hatch mod for sure; not a fan of the access on the scout. Just watch @Splinter189 new vid
and now I want to build a master series Spitfire or 109. Too many planes, not enought time /money o_O.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Thanks, looking at the battery hatch mod for sure; not a fan of the access on the scout. Just watch @Splinter189 new vid
and now I want to build a master series Spitfire or 109. Too many planes, not enought time /money o_O.
I started in the hobby last spring and I am almost up to 40 builds so far, once you have the bug it doesn't stop. I really want the M.S. Spit too, waiting on the plans

FL_Engineer

Elite member
We finally got the maiden in today! She flew great, with the 0947 prop that I drilled out; I actually think it may be over propped for the motor as the motor was quite warm. Lessons learned on my first RC flight... Breath, remember to slow down and trim it out, don't forget the 2-3 mistakes high rule!!! I got a little over confident and nosed it down after 4 mins; thankfully the only real damage is the prop (this thing is build like a tank).

I am now officially addicted to flying BTW; there WILL be other planes. My daughter had a great time and I promised her some flight time next go around (only one way to learn).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AZGl0v9H9RDpOdrFWbLBu-mkXJRPXCJR/view?usp=sharing

Last edited: