Father/Daughter Simple Scout Build

FL_Engineer

Elite member
I was asked to post a build thread of my scout build with my daughter. We started the speed build kit today and got as far as the motor pod and wing. Time is always a commodity in our house so I don't anticipate completion in the near future, just working as we find time.

Still waiting on the motor, esc, and servos from banggood so we are in no real hurry.
IMG_20191231_174023.jpg

mach1 rc

Master member
I was asked to post a build thread of my scout build with my daughter. We started the speed build kit today and got as far as the motor pod and wing. Time is always a commodity in our house so I don't anticipate completion in the near future, just working as we find time.

Still waiting on the motor, esc, and servos from banggood so we are in no real hurry. View attachment 152790
Great choice of plane👍

FL_Engineer

Elite member
What bits did you get off Banggood?

I got the motor, 40a esc, 9g servos, and a charger, nine of which have arrived. Amazon has condition me to 2 day delivery.

Looks good, did you get the last step of the wing done yet? The dihedral?

Nope, daughter lost interest before we finished the final step; won't forget though, I'll need it.

Last edited:

FL_Engineer

Elite member
Made some progress last night; unfortunately it may be turning into a solo build 😐. Hopefully she'll get back into it when we get some paint on it... Lessons learned so far:

1. Josh is a wizard.

2. The sharper the blade the better

3. Don't use said sharp blade to cut all the way through the paper. Do use said blade to separate a horrible joint for re-glueing.

I think I've managed to keep my joints straight and I think it will clean up with a little sand paper and paint. What do you guys use for cleaning up smeared glue joints I don't always get a chance to clean them up before it cools (gun is 40w)

IMG_20200101_222403.jpg

Last edited:

Hoomi

Master member
Looking good!

There was something in one of the recent FT videos on YouTube about using rubbing alcohol to soften hot glue. I haven't tried it yet, but maybe someone else here will have some experience with it. At the very least, maybe try putting a glob of hot glue on a piece of scrap foam board, and seeing what the alcohol does to it.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Looking good!

There was something in one of the recent FT videos on YouTube about using rubbing alcohol to soften hot glue. I haven't tried it yet, but maybe someone else here will have some experience with it. At the very least, maybe try putting a glob of hot glue on a piece of scrap foam board, and seeing what the alcohol does to it.
@PoorManRC has used that method and may be able to give you some help on it.

FL_Engineer

Elite member
FB was 40% off at Hobby Lobby today so I bought 2 sheets on a whim along with a small sheet of balsa ply. May use it for repairs or my next project. If everything goes well with this one the next one will need to be super cheap.

Last edited:

speedbirdted

Legendary member
What do you guys use for cleaning up smeared glue joints I don't always get a chance to clean them up before it cools (gun is 40w)

I use a hightemp gun so this isn't as much of a problem but I find that if you run the hot tip of the gun over the glue again followed quickly by a piece of scrap foam to scrape it off this generally works pretty well. Or you can just very carefully use a razor to cut it off which does work but there's a high chance of also taking off the paper too which if it's just in a few small spots doesn't really do much structurally but it just looks janky.

FL_Engineer

Elite member
Motor and charger made it today; servos and esc still somewhere between here and China. Even after reading tons of stuff on charging lipos I do find it a bit intimidating given the stakes. Also the motor was shown with bullet connectors but is missing them. I'm horrible at soldering so that will be fun.

Last edited:

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
Motor and charger made it today; servos and esc still somewhere between here and China. Even after reading tons of stuff on charging lipos I do d it a bit intimidating given the stakes. Also the motor was shown with bullet connectors but is missing them. I'm horrible at soldering so that will be fun.
The bullet connectors are really easy.

PoorManRC

Master member
...... What do you guys use for cleaning up smeared glue joints I don't always get a chance to clean them up before it cools (gun is 40w)
I use a Teflon covered Hobby Covering Iron.
Get it hot, then GENTLY run the Iron over the joint. This will flatten the Joint and push out any excess Glue.

My Iron cleans easily. Don't know how much it costs, it was a gift....
As an alternative, you COULD use a household Clothes Iron - just place a sheet of Parchment Paper over the Joint, to save your (or your Wife's!) Iron. 😉

With practice, it ends up looking just as good as Bixler's!! 👍👍

With more practice, you could even round the corners, so that the Fuse doesn't look so boxy. 😊

PoorManRC

Master member
Looking good!

I use it often! I mess up often! 😖😜 91% or better Isopropyl Alcohol or Denatured Alcohol...

On Adams RediBoard, be more sparing, because it distorts the Paper if it gets TOO (not TO 😉) wet. 👌

I apply it with a Paintbrush. It needs only about 30-45 seconds to wick between the Foam Board and Glue. Then you can carefully pull them apart.

If it doesn't completely separate, apply a little more Alcohol, let it Wick, and pull apart. I've never had to do it more than twice.

On plain Paper (Adams DTFB), I believe the Hot Glue adheres better, because the Glue actually permeates the Paper, making it a little harder to separate.

I'd say Glue two scraps together, wait at least 10 minutes, and practice on that first, so you can get a feel for how it works.

Happy New DECADE! 🎉🍻🎉🍺🍹🍻

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member