Father & Son Flitesticks : Build Log

mactek

Sorry i did not get a chance to meet up with you guys on Friday when i was at FF. Due to the rain i did not even bring any planes out of the car that i had to park pretty far away. I walked around for a little while and met up with Kevin (Flynn), Steve and Jeff for a little while I understand you were camped pretty close to them. I finished the build on my flightstick and did get to fly it later in the evening back at my brothers place and wow it is a great plane. Hope you guys enjoyed your time at FF i wish i could of came out on Saturday but i had to be back in Jersey for work on Sunday.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Sorry i did not get a chance to meet up with you guys on Friday when i was at FF. Due to the rain i did not even bring any planes out of the car that i had to park pretty far away. I walked around for a little while and met up with Kevin (Flynn), Steve and Jeff for a little while I understand you were camped pretty close to them. I finished the build on my flightstick and did get to fly it later in the evening back at my brothers place and wow it is a great plane. Hope you guys enjoyed your time at FF i wish i could of came out on Saturday but i had to be back in Jersey for work on Sunday.

I spent most of the day Friday volunteering in the build tent. Keegan spent almost the entire event leading the build for a huge group project. I only spent about 1 hour working om my stick while I was there and Keegan didn't get to work on his at all. So neither of us got them flying. Lesson learned, next year we won't be attempting to build/finish anything there. We will be finishing up our Flitesticks in the next couple of weeks and getting them in the air. I will continue posting photos for the build log.

Sorry we didn't get a chance to meet, but I hope you enjoyed your time at Flite Fest, even with the rain. Please post some pictures of your plane. I would love to see how it turned out.

Flynn

This is as far as it's going to get for now. I'll finish and maiden it at Flite Fest.

attachment.php

Sponz! Great talking with you and Keegan! Hope you guys had a great time and got home safe. That is one great looking plane. Where did you get the crosses? Hope we can do some flying together next year!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Sponz! Great talking with you and Keegan! Hope you guys had a great time and got home safe. That is one great looking plane. Where did you get the crosses? Hope we can do some flying together next year!
We had a great time at Flite Fest. It was nice talking to you the couple of times I saw you. Keegan and I definitely want to do more flying next year at Flite Fest, and I will have a stick ready to fly when we get there. I made the graphics for the crosses and I will share them soon, I just need to clean up the files a little bit first.

mactek

Here are some pics of my stick that i built. I realized after going back and looking at your planes that i built the wing tips wrong. I may go back and re do them but it seems to be flying well the way it is now so for now it is fine. I also need to order some different landing gear. stick3.jpg stick2.jpg stick1.jpg

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Here are some pics of my stick that i built. I realized after going back and looking at your planes that i built the wing tips wrong. I may go back and re do them but it seems to be flying well the way it is now so for now it is fine. I also need to order some different landing gear.

Nice job on your stick. The wing tips that hotwax came up with end up looking very nice, but they take a lot of patience to get them right. If/When I get back to finishing my 60" Das Ugly Stick design, I have some ideas for other ways to form the tips without the poster board.

I posted the link to the landing gear that we use in the first post. It's probably a little overkill for this plane, but they really work well.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Hi Dan,

welcome back from Flitefest.

How did the straight wing work?

Just curious

Werner, I had really good intentions of finishing up this model at Flite Fest and getting it in the air. I never even came close. I spent about an hour working on the plane while I was there. By the end of the event, I only managed to fly 4 batteries. Three in the Bloody Baron, and one in the Baby Baron. The rest of the time, I was busy volunteering, talking to people, and leading a group build for the Bloody Baron episode.

All this to say that my Flitestick still is not done. I'm still adding colored tape to the wing. Need to install the elevator/rudder servos, mount the landing gear, mount the motor/esc/receiver. I should be able to make some good progress on it this weekend.

As far as the straight wing goes, Keegan has built several without the dihedral and they fly great. I think a lot of guys that built the balsa sticks back in the day skipped the dihedral built them flat too.

mactek

I went out flying on Sunday and took 3 planes with me. I started flying the flightstick and never took the other planes out of the car. I shot some video I should have it up tonight sometime.

mactek

I had some wire that you use to hold insulation in rafters and bent it into typical landing gear and then attached it to a piece of 1/8" ply which then is screwed to the 1/8 ply that is in the floor of the fuse. There is a piece of piano wire as a cross member to add strength and a rubber band to add some spring to it. It is not pretty but it works pretty well and is not to heavy. Here is photo minus a wheel.

IMG_2573.JPG

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Here is the video of the 2nd flight of the Flightstick.

Thanks for sharing the video mactek. Looks like a great flying plane. I don't think the wing tips are affecting the flight characteristics much at all. Great work on that stick. I really need to get mine done. :black_eyed:

mactek

I took it away on vacation this week down the jersey shore. My esc failed at about 200 feet up. Luckily the bec portion of the esc still worked so I had servo control and got it back on the ground safely.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Finally getting back to working on my Flitestick. I got the gear and wheels mounted tonight.

2015-08-04 01.13.16.jpg

2015-08-04 01.13.30.jpg

2015-08-04 01.13.56.jpg

2015-08-04 01.14.02.jpg

Hopefully I'll finish up the tape on the underside of the wing tomorrow. Then I can work on mounting the motor and servos.

mactek

The build is looking really good Sponz. I went and bought a sheet of coroplast from Home Depot the other day. I am going to build a flitestick out it. I want something more water resistant for a winter plane. I don't think the coroplast will add that much weight to the plane either.

The cheap Chinese motor i had on mine had a melt down last weekend. I went ahead and ordered the NTM 3548 like you guys did so hopefully it will work better. I also picked up a 4s 3000mah pack for it. Hopefully this weekend she will be back in the air.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Update first post with another photo. Keegan finished his up a couple of days ago. I want mine done by this weekend!

20150811_232935.jpg

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Getting close now. All ready for electronics. Need to have this one flying by Sunday.

attachment.php

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
And...done!

Heading to the field for the maiden flight.