Graphics - FB Flitestick Graphics v1.0

20150815_185202.jpg
Maiden flight on 8/15/15 - National Model Aviation Day

Maiden Flight Video

20150814_001051.jpg
All ready for electronics

20150611_183932.jpg
Keegan built this one for his uncle

Keegan and I are building a pair of FB Flitesticks (designed by hotwax). The plan is to have them done to bring along to Flite Fest this year. Just got my order from HK in the mail today! This was by far the best experience I've ever had with HK. Order placed late Tuesday night (US East Warehouse), arrived early Friday morning.

20150612_121353.jpg

I'm going to keep up with this build log for my own records and for anyone else that wants some more detailed instructions on how to build one. We will probably be experimenting with the design a little as go. We are both planning on trying Peter's waterproofing method for the entire aircraft as well. I scaled up the graphics I created for my Bloody Baron to work with the 55" wing span on this stick.

Planed Power Setup

I've already got most of the parts traced to foam board and started cutting out my fuselage. I'm hoping to make some good progress on it over the weekend.

20150612_122548.jpg

Build Log

Fuselage

Made some progress on the fuselage last night.

First step is to glue the two halves together using a tape hinge on the outside to hold it in place.

**Build Tip: Do not cut out the slot in the back for the vertical stabilizer until after you glue the fuselage together. You'll have to trace the lines for that cut out on the outside in order to do that, but it will help to not crease the foam in this area when your gluing it up.
20150616_235901.jpg

MODIFICATION: The plans call for dowel holes to hold the landing gear on. We chose to make a plywood hard point inside the fuse to bolt our landing gear too. I will add more details on the aluminum landing gear we are using later. Plywood is 2-9/16" X 2-7/8" X 1/16" thick hobby grade plywood.

20150616_235911.jpg

Carefully line up and glue in the fuselage doublers. I had to notch out around my landing gear hard point.

**Note: If you make the plywood piece 3/8" narrower you wouldn't need to notch out the doubler.

Remove the foam and paper for all the fuselage B-Folds and glue both side plates 90° to the bottom plate.

20150617_003816.jpg

Once both sides are glued add the fuselage formers 1-5 (and 6 if you are making a swappable version) as indicated on hotwax's plans. Ours are not going to be swappable.

20150617_010036.jpg

I wasn't exactly sure from the plans where former #4 was supposed to go. Here is how I placed it in mine.

20150618_225333.jpg

Then when I placed former #5, I seated it all the way down on the top of former #4.

20150618_225353.jpg

The fuselage feels plenty stiff in this area now. I dropped former #5 lower than the plans show because I am going to be adding some alignment pieces to the wing and I wanted to make sure they would clear this former when the wing is installed.

MODIFICATION: I added some additional support and surface area to mount the firewall too. This wasn't ever necessary for the NTM 3536 910kv motor that Keegan ran on his in the past. However, with the 3548 900kv putting out over twice the power, I thought it would be a good idea to have the extra support. The extra support pieces are two layers thick and are mounted vertically in the nose. They are 1-1/8" wide X 2-3/8" long.

20150618_224753.jpg

20150618_224822.jpg

20150618_224843.jpg

Custom fabricated landing gear. These were made to similar dimensions from the Great Planes GPMQ1840-L4 Large .60 Dural Landing Gear (see parts list) that I bought for one of Keegan's old Ugly Sticks last year.

20150618_222225.jpg

20150618_222234.jpg

I still need to drill the mounting holes and the axle holes in these.

MODIFICATION: I added (2) two BBQ skewers in the horizontal stabilizer for added rigidity. Keegan has had some issues with it warping over time on his other sticks. The skewers are 11-1/2" long.

20150618_214122.jpg

Applied the graphics to the fuselage and started covering with orange packing tape.

20150630_010606.jpg

Fuselage is nearly complete now. I should be starting on the wings tomorrow.

20150701_222026.jpg

20150702_010215.jpg

I think the orange is looking pretty sharp.

Wing

20150702_200150.jpg

The wing takes 3 sheets of 20x30 DTFB. I wanted to leave the ailerons attached so I chose to use a tape seam at the leading edge. Keegan likes to tape on the ailerons which allows you to cut the top and bottom panels of the wing halves from one sheet.

20150703_130941.jpg

Top and bottom panels of one wing half. Make sure you cut a left set and a right set.

20150703_131130.jpg

I use green frog tape (painters tape) on the inside to temporarily align hold the pieces together. stick the tape to your shirt a couple of times to make it less sticky. This will prevent it from lifting any of the paper on the foam board.

20150703_131417.jpg

Then flip it over and apply extreme packing tape to the outside leading edge. Once the extreme tape is on, flip it back over and remove the painters tape on the inside.

20150703_132537.jpg

Double bevel the leading edge. I've been trying a new technique with my builds lately that I think is working out nicely. Before I cut the score lines for the airfoil, I carefully and slowly fold the wing at the double bevel until it is completely flat. This creates a very nice, tight, leading edge.

20150703_133229.jpg

Next cut the score lines for the airfoil. I follow that up by running down the score cuts with a BBQ skewer/dowel to open up the score cuts similar to other FT planes.

MODIFICATION: I believe that hotwax's plans call for a little bit of dihedral based on the wing joiner pieces that are in his plans. Keegan and I have been building them without dihedral.

20150703_134557.jpg

Keegan suggested that I try to form the entire wing at once. He had an issue with his not being exactly the same when he joined them together. I made a tape hinge with extreme packing tape, folded it in half, applied glue to the seam, then unfolded it flat onto the table to glue the two halves together.

20150707_004149.jpg

Spars and ribs glued in place on top half of wing.

20150707_010253.jpg

Glued leading edge and bottom of wing up to the spar. left the back half of the bottom of the wing unglued so i can add the servos later.

20150707_010302.jpg

Graphics are on and some of the color. I'm going to have to finish the rest of it at Flite Fest. Heading out tomorrow.

20150708_012955.jpg

Here is the underside of the wing. This should help with orientation. Not that it's really an issue with this size of a plane (at least not for me), but hey, I think it looks cool too!

20150811_232935.jpg

Last edited:

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Finally adding pics! Most of my build is here, as well as the paint work I did tonight. The build goes a little bit backwards, but, I'm sure you get the picture.

2015-07-01 20.26.52.jpg

2015-07-01 19.35.30.jpg

2015-07-01 19.35.22.jpg

2015-07-01 19.04.03.jpg

2015-06-19 23.27.03.jpg

2015-06-19 22.22.38.jpg

2015-06-19 22.22.29.jpg

2015-06-18 23.27.37.jpg

2015-06-18 23.02.17.jpg

2015-06-13 14.11.10.jpg

Last edited:

ClearSkiesCalmWinds

SP0NZ just got back from printers. Hope to have all parts cut out for this tomorrow. I'll be following your build. Ordered the pwr plant (hopefully it's not on a slow boat from China) I didn't have anything that large laying around. LOL. Will you be considering sharing the sized-up decals. Going to try orange/red/black scheme. Cheers!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
SP0NZ just got back from printers. Hope to have all parts cut out for this tomorrow. I'll be following your build. Ordered the pwr plant (hopefully it's not on a slow boat from China) I didn't have anything that large laying around. LOL. Will you be considering sharing the sized-up decals. Going to try orange/red/black scheme. Cheers!

I'll have to clean them up a bit, but yeah, I can post them when they are done.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Nice looking plane I'm in subscribed can't wait to see how they turn out.

We built our first one for my Dad a year-and-a-half ago. I flew it and trimmed it out form him and really liked it. Keegan has built and flow a couple of his own already, and he just finished the green one from the first post for his Uncle last week. They are an all-around great airplane. Can fly slow or fast and do a lot of the basic aerobatics.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Keegan made some progress on his this weekend. I helped my brother out trying to get his fleet of combat planes ready for Flite Fest. He hadn't touched them since last fall. I've decided to just do my usual tape and paper decals for this one. Based on the tape I have on hand, this one will be orange. Keegan is covering his with red rosin paper using Peter's WBPU waterproofing method. So far it is turning out really nice, it just takes more time than I will have to finish mine before Flite Fest.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I did get the ESC's all soldered up over the weekend. Here is the power setup that Keegan and I will be using. I talked to my brother earlier today and he ordered the same electronics to make one for him and one for his son. So there will be at least four 55" Flitesticks at Flite Fest this year. Not sure where we are going to pack all these planes yet though. :black_eyed:

20150616_201031.jpg

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Do you think this is the best stick for a foam conversion?

I did not see you guys fly last year. I am eager to see these in the air this year. I'm not one to reinvent the wheel. If I decide to add a foam stick to the hangar, I will stay with the tried and true.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Do you think this is the best stick for a foam conversion?

I did not see you guys fly last year. I am eager to see these in the air this year. I'm not one to reinvent the wheel. If I decide to add a foam stick to the hangar, I will stay with the tried and true.

I don't have a ton of time on one of these, this is the first one I am making for myself. What little time I do have on it was a blast! I really love the way this plane flies. I wouldn't be building one if I didn't. Hotwax did a great job on it and it's a pretty easy/quick build. Do I think it's the best stick for a foam conversion? I don't think I'm qualified to answer that question. I've never had a stick before. All I know is this one just works. I have every intention of making a 60" original Das Ugly Stick (from the Jensen plans) but don't have the time to do it before Flite Fest.

rc-plane

I cant wait to see what you come up with, my first plane i ever built and flew was a gas powered stick in the 80,s, I definitely want one on these, i think this will be my next project.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I cant wait to see what you come up with, my first plane i ever built and flew was a gas powered stick in the 80,s, I definitely want one on these, i think this will be my next project.

No need to wait. See the top of the first post in this thread. We are building from hotwax's FB Fllitestick plans. Some slight modifications, but mostly right off his plans.

ClearSkiesCalmWinds

I'm going with the one your going with for starters down to the same prop. It's the Apprentice basic set up (I didn't want to tear down mine) pwr wise but with a bigger battery. I'm guessing this will be lighter so it will rip on the punch. Following the build, some parts on the plans ?. So hoping to see how you put it together. Cheers.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
We are using an aluminum landing gear. My brother-in-law made some for us based on one I had purchased last year. I will try to find the manufacturer and model number for the exact one I used. One of the changes we are making in this build is to add a plywood hard point to mount the landing gear. That is the plywood piece you can see in my fuse in the build log. It is 2-9/16" x 2-7/8" x 1/16" thick hobby grade ply. Same material I will be using for the firewall. Speaking of which, we are not making the swappable version, it will have a fixed firewall glued in the front.

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Sponz,

Thanks for the info. I won't get to one of these anytime soon. But I will go with the version you are building. Can't wait to see these at FF.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Received everything today. Motors didn't come with prop adapters. Which ones are you going with? Cheers!

Oh man! I just check the first thread and I totally forgot to add the accessory pack to the materials list. :( I'm really sorry about that. I'll look it up right now and add it to the first post. I don't know why HobbyKing doesn't just include them with the motors. :confused: