Father & Son Flitesticks : Build Log

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I caught that you have the plans for this design on your drawing board. Very cool.

Yes I do. Hotwax gave me permission to re-arrange and tile the plans. It's pretty far along (as well as some other plans I have been working on) but I don't think that I will get back to working on any plans until after Flite Fest. Way too many last minute builds we are trying to complete before then.

I also started working on my own version of the original Das Ugly Stick about two years ago. I still plan to finish those some day too. That one has a 60" wing span.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Made a lot of progress last night.

• Fuselage is almost complete
  • Added double walled supports to add more surface area to glue in the motor mount.
  • Cut out and mounted the plywood firewall to the fuselage (not swappable)
  • Added a NACA duct to the batter access door for cooling the electronics.
  • Moved the location of former 4 & 5 (will post pictures)
  • Added (2) dowels (BBQ skewers) to the horizontal stabilizer.

I will update the build log with pictures over the weekend.

Up next, I think I'm ready to start cutting out the wings.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
I'll finally add the pics from my build now that the fuselage is done and has the finishing cote of WBPU and talc powder. The fuse looks like GLASS :)

I'm going to try to finish the tail tonight and start working on the wings.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
So much for my plans to update the thread over the weekend. Soccer tournament, graduation party, surprise father's day tubing trip down the Wolf River and Father's Day at the in-laws ate up the whole weekend. We did get a little bit of flying in at the graduation party for my nephew though. Baby Baron needs a new power pod, but the rest of the fleet is still in tact. :p

Hope to get some updates and building done this week.

Flynn

Awesome Thread Sponz. Guys, if you are even thinking about building this plane and you have some experience with the FT Planes, Do It! It is a great flyer. The build has a few advanced areas, like the wing tips, but if you've built a few before, you can figure out how to put it together. I've been flying mine and it's very forgiving plane. I bought the tower hobbies landing gear for the balsa version (kinda heavy) and it handles that no problem. I added flapperions to bring it in a bit shorter, works excellent. I plan on having mine at FF. Sponz, we'll have to get a few pics.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Well, the fuselage and tail is waterproofed, so i should be priming and painting soon. The wing is also done, so all I really have to do is the electronics and paint. I think you'll like the paint scheme I'm going to do. Eddie Van Halen's guitar was called the frankenstrat because he butchered a fender stratocaster to make a custom high output instrument. Since I hotrodded this stick pretty well, I'm going to paint my stick in the same way. Different colors though. It will be lime green, electric blue, flat black and gloss black.

IMG_5527.jpg

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Awesome Thread Sponz. Guys, if you are even thinking about building this plane and you have some experience with the FT Planes, Do It! It is a great flyer. The build has a few advanced areas, like the wing tips, but if you've built a few before, you can figure out how to put it together. I've been flying mine and it's very forgiving plane. I bought the tower hobbies landing gear for the balsa version (kinda heavy) and it handles that no problem. I added flapperions to bring it in a bit shorter, works excellent. I plan on having mine at FF. Sponz, we'll have to get a few pics.

Thanks Flynn. The flapperon idea is awesome! I'm going to set mine up that way as well. Glad your bringing yours to Flite Fest too. That will make at least 5 (if we can get them all done before then). We'll definately have to get some pics with all the sticks. :p

MrClean

Need to get you to put those together out of 2 mm coroplast. You'd make them just as beautiful and they'd practically last forever. Awesome build.
I just love a good ugly stick.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
With the minwaxing a repapering I've done on mine it better last a long time. It's a lot of work getting all that stuff on smooth.

mactek

Do you guys have pics of how to create the ends of the wings. I am not sure how that is created. I have my fuse built and starting on the wings now.

mactek

IMG_2530.JPG

My flightstick is not as pretty the ones you have done but it is getting there and should be done by next week for flitefest to fly with you guys.