Father/Son moment!

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Well, on Saturday, it FINALLY happened.

My dad got a bunch of solo flights in on his own!!!

We had to help him trim out his Timber a little bit, but other than that, he was, as my mom put it, "a Flyin' Fool!"

All of his flights were solid; he had a couple of MINOR bobbles here, the most notable of which was on a landing (and even an experienced pilot might've had this happen), he nosed the plane over just after landing. He'd just touched down, and a weird gust of wind came up, caused him to kick the rudder, and the plane ran to the side of the runway, where we'd JUST finished doing field maintenance maybe 10 minute prior, so there was a bunch of weed cuttings that it safely and softly nosed over into. No damage whatsoever, but the plane had a bunch of weed whacker clippings all over the wing and the nose. :)

It was also pretty cool because I got to put my plane up at the same time as he did - he was flying a full size Timber, and I had a UMX Timber that I'd put up! It definitely put a smile on his face when he was flying, and when there was a bit of breeze that kicked up, I asked him, "You ok with this wind, dad?"

"This? This is NOTHING. I learned in stronger wind than this when we were going through our Monday afternoon training sessions!"

It's good to know that my dad can get up in the air now and enjoy himself. Next thing I know, he'll be doing 3D flight with a 540! :)

Jackson T

Elite member
Well, on Saturday, it FINALLY happened.

My dad got a bunch of solo flights in on his own!!!

We had to help him trim out his Timber a little bit, but other than that, he was, as my mom put it, "a Flyin' Fool!"

All of his flights were solid; he had a couple of MINOR bobbles here, the most notable of which was on a landing (and even an experienced pilot might've had this happen), he nosed the plane over just after landing. He'd just touched down, and a weird gust of wind came up, caused him to kick the rudder, and the plane ran to the side of the runway, where we'd JUST finished doing field maintenance maybe 10 minute prior, so there was a bunch of weed cuttings that it safely and softly nosed over into. No damage whatsoever, but the plane had a bunch of weed whacker clippings all over the wing and the nose. :)

It was also pretty cool because I got to put my plane up at the same time as he did - he was flying a full size Timber, and I had a UMX Timber that I'd put up! It definitely put a smile on his face when he was flying, and when there was a bit of breeze that kicked up, I asked him, "You ok with this wind, dad?"

"This? This is NOTHING. I learned in stronger wind than this when we were going through our Monday afternoon training sessions!"

It's good to know that my dad can get up in the air now and enjoy himself. Next thing I know, he'll be doing 3D flight with a 540! :)
That would have been such a cool moment! I'm envious, you have people to fly with! My dad helped me build a balsa plane from scratch that he'd built from a kit when he was my age. It was a lot of fun, and I really did need all the help he gave me! It's really great to see families hanging out doing something fun together.

mayan

Legendary member
I too envy you for having someone to fly with. Thumbs up to your dad. I want his feedback about the day if you don't mind qouting him :).

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
It's a lot of fun when he actually flies, and you can see him enjoying himself! :) It's now just about him building confidence. :)

@mayan - I asked my dad how he felt his flying went on Saturday, and his answer was, "Reasonable." That is in, of itself, meaning that he had a great time. We can take him out to gourmet restaurants, and ask him how the food was.

"Reasonable."

Las Vegas show:

"Reasonable."

It's a long running joke in my family that even my wife picked up on when we were still dating..."Your dad doesn't use many words to describe things, does he?"

mayan

Legendary member
It's a lot of fun when he actually flies, and you can see him enjoying himself! :) It's now just about him building confidence. :)
I see it as it's only FB like my dear friend @buzzbomb says. When you think of it like that, you can just have a good time. I don't like crashing but when it happens I don't cry over it :).

@mayan - I asked my dad how he felt his flying went on Saturday, and his answer was, "Reasonable." That is in, of itself, meaning that he had a great time. We can take him out to gourmet restaurants, and ask him how the food was.

"Reasonable."

Las Vegas show:

"Reasonable."

It's a long running joke in my family that even my wife picked up on when we were still dating..."Your dad doesn't use many words to describe things, does he?"
Thanks for asking :). That reminds me of someone I know :). My gramps is exactly like that, anything you ask him about how it was, he'll answer ok. :)