FatShark Filtered FPV Transmitter Power Supply (2S/3S/4S)

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Just ordered a 3rd one from HK with free shipping.

Why 3 you ask?

Once you start wiring everything up you realise what a pain it is to move a lot of the gear.
Specially when you run the risk of inverting the power to items like the OSD.

#1 is in the Bixler 2 with the Mini OSD System w/GPS Module

#2 is going on the Tricopter with no OSD.

#3 is set to be installed on the twin motor Wraith from VAS. OSD will be the Hobbyking G-OSD 3 Mini OSD System w/GPS Module.

Just keep an eye on these. Mine first 1 had to be fixed twice due to a design flaw. These new ones seem to have addressed this.

Now I just move the TX and camera from plane to plane in seconds.

Andre.

DDSFlyer

So with all that experience you're building up with FPV, which OSD do you like best? If you did it all over which parts would you have gotten?

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
I've only flow with the Mini OSD System w/GPS Module. The other one is on a slow boat ;)

IMG_4680.jpg

But if you are getting into FPV and need a OSD there is nothing wrong with the Mini setup.
Cost effective but the GPS is a bit heavy. I'm now using it on the Bixler 2 and will leave it there.

The OSD has been modded/flashed. Which allowed me to move the data around.
Really for the flying I do the battery info is key but having the other details is fun as well.

Stock OSD.
osd-gps-lock.jpg

Flashed OSD (uOSD software for E-OSD+GPS / G-OSDII / Mini OSD with configurator)
U-OSD-Screen.jpg

To do the flash you need a connector pin on the OSD board.
IMG_4975.jpg
IMG_4977.jpg

The big thing I discovered is change up the input connections. I almost fired the whole lot by flipping the power plug for the OSD.
My solution was to make a wiring harness. Adds a few limitations but also prevents some evil things from happening.

IMG_9016.JPG

But now that I'm more or less committed this set to my Bixler I can now start cleaning a lot of the wiring rats nest issues up.

IMG_9308.JPG

Hope that helps.
On the new OSD setup once it shows up (Some time in June) I'll report back.
I was going to simply get another Mini unit but only had 29g left in my order so opted to buy the more expensive unit vs pay more shipping. Even though the shipping would have been cheaper :)

hastiado

Just ordered a 3rd one from HK with free shipping.

Why 3 you ask?

Once you start wiring everything up you realise what a pain it is to move a lot of the gear.
Specially when you run the risk of inverting the power to items like the OSD.

#1 is in the Bixler 2 with the Mini OSD System w/GPS Module

#2 is going on the Tricopter with no OSD.

#3 is set to be installed on the twin motor Wraith from VAS. OSD will be the Hobbyking G-OSD 3 Mini OSD System w/GPS Module.

Just keep an eye on these. Mine first 1 had to be fixed twice due to a design flaw. These new ones seem to have addressed this.

Now I just move the TX and camera from plane to plane in seconds.

Andre.

I would not use this, here's why:

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthre...-module-draws-from-only-one-cell-don-t-use-it

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Hmm I read your post but I've never seen issues like you are reporting.

So I stick by my experience and will continue to use them.

Really the setup is a fancy plug and nothing more.

hastiado

Hmm I read your post but I've never seen issues like you are reporting.

So I stick by my experience and will continue to use them.

Really the setup is a fancy plug and nothing more.

Really the setup is a fancy plug and nothing more. exactly, a fancy plug to one cell of your battery. That means one cell is having more current draw than the other 2 (in a 3S) which results in a faster voltage drop for the series output of all 3 cells (which is what the motors are using).

Test your flight time with the RX connected through the fancy plug and then test flight time with the RX wire directly to the 3S, you'll see it.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Maybe the unit is defective.

I've always checked my cells after flying and have never seen any thing like what you are describing.

I'll keep an eye on it but can't say I've seen anything strange.

A.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
I did 4 flights with the tricopter in FPV mode this morning.
No issues with the batteries.

If you are still seeing the single cell over drawn issues I would open up the filter and check the connectors.

Would not be the first time bad electronics have come from these sources.

I'll have a look through my photos. I snapped some last time I had the shrink wrap off to fix a burnt out part.

A.

hastiado

I did 4 flights with the tricopter in FPV mode this morning.
No issues with the batteries.

If you are still seeing the single cell over drawn issues I would open up the filter and check the connectors.

Would not be the first time bad electronics have come from these sources.

I'll have a look through my photos. I snapped some last time I had the shrink wrap off to fix a burnt out part.

A.

What happens if you take a voltmeter and test conductivity between the + pin on the output (black connector block) and the + pins on any of the white connector blocks? How many of them have conductivity to the + pin on the black connector block?