Fatshark goggles

IcedStorm777

I am looking to buy some used Fatshark goggles off of someone. I'm not exactly sure what i am looking for yet so just show me what you have. I am a kid and don't have a lot of money so if you are looking for market price or will get offended by a low offer than just keep looking. Thank you so much for your time!

Very Respectfully,
Gracen

FDS

Elite member
I bought Skyzone 02C’s new for my son instead of Fatsharks, they have been very good and come with everything you need except a battery. I ran them head to head with my Dominator V3’s and they were easily as good, in some settings better.

IcedStorm777

I bought Skyzone 02C’s new for my son instead of Fatsharks, they have been very good and come with everything you need except a battery. I ran them head to head with my Dominator V3’s and they were easily as good, in some settings better.

If you don’t mind sharing which areas were better and worse? The biggest things I am looking at are good connection, a DVR, and a large high pixel monitor. This is why I was looking at the dominators. Thanks

FDS

Elite member
They had all those features, the worse parts were- no interchangeable modules, no prescription diopters yet.

Otherwise, DVR is excellent, they have an off button as standard and a very clear picture. I bought my Dominators second hand, with a decent ish module in for $250, if I was doing that again I would just buy the Skyzones, they are that good.

IcedStorm777

I don't know very much about the skyzones so what different variants are their and which would you recommend?

IcedStorm777

So if i buy a goggles that don't come with an antenna, battery, or module what of each of those would you guys recommend for a cheap but good setup. Goggles are dominator v3s

FDS

Elite member
The Foxeer Wildfire is an excellent module, its $90 but performs easily as well as Rapidfire which is $120 according to most testers. There are cheaper options, but many of those are not great and around $50-60 anyway so spending a bit more is worth it. You will want a pair of antennae, I use a patch and a mushroom, both from Menace Rc. Lumenier antennae are very good, I can’t remember which other patch is good.
I have the Skyzone 02C, that has no front camera but has DVR and comes with inbuilt diversity receivers and is easily as good as my Dominators, certainly much better value. Plus they have a power on off switch, which none of the Fatsharks have. Buy the 02C if you want a Domoinator/HD equivalent with a good diversity set up.
Battery wise you can run two 18650 cells in a box or I use a 2200mah 2s pack on a lead, I put it in my pocket. The lead I made but they sell them. Fatahark uses a 2.5mm laptop plug on the goggles end and then I put XT60 on the other end. I added a pair of balance connectors to run the fan.
I wouldn’t buy a set of second hand goggles without at least a battery holder included, unless they are very cheap.

IcedStorm777

The Foxeer Wildfire is an excellent module, its $90 but performs easily as well as Rapidfire which is $120 according to most testers. There are cheaper options, but many of those are not great and around $50-60 anyway so spending a bit more is worth it. You will want a pair of antennae, I use a patch and a mushroom, both from Menace Rc. Lumenier antennae are very good, I can’t remember which other patch is good.
I have the Skyzone 02C, that has no front camera but has DVR and comes with inbuilt diversity receivers and is easily as good as my Dominators, certainly much better value. Plus they have a power on off switch, which none of the Fatsharks have. Buy the 02C if you want a Domoinator/HD equivalent with a good diversity set up.
Battery wise you can run two 18650 cells in a box or I use a 2200mah 2s pack on a lead, I put it in my pocket. The lead I made but they sell them. Fatahark uses a 2.5mm laptop plug on the goggles end and then I put XT60 on the other end. I added a pair of balance connectors to run the fan.
I wouldn’t buy a set of second hand goggles without at least a battery holder included, unless they are very cheap.

I have heard good things about the laforge module and it is only like $35, would it perform well?

FDS

Elite member
It’s nowhere near as good as the Wildfire. I am sure it works but some of those cheap ones need a firmware change to be any good. Where they often fall down is flying with other people.
Check out some side by side comparison videos for it, look for similar conditions to your flying.
To me the FPV link is vital, if it’s not 110% reliable then it’s not worth owning. All my bad crashes and my lost quad were because of video failure.
I have the Furious D V2 which is supposed to be OK, I don’t fully trust it and haven’t flown over water or anywhere where access is a problem because I can’t afford to replace it.
Even on the supplied linear antenna the Skyzone receiver has been solidly reliable even with only a 25Mw VTX.

IcedStorm777

Ok so to rap this thing up i ended up getting some Fatshark Dominator SE goggles that came with and upgraded battery and antenna and the original module. I might eventually upgrade the original module as it looked pretty cheap (if you can even do that). It should be arriving sometime next week so fingers crossed that all goes well.

IcedStorm777

Ok so i have my goggles and everything is working great but i have a question. The battery that it came with (i bought it used) has a balance plug (i know that it isn't a real balance plug) and what a think is called a banana plug. It is the standard fatshark connector. I can't charge the battery as i can't balance charge and i don't have any adapter that changes the banana plug into whatever is needed to plug into the charger. Any ideas?

IcedStorm777

So i got my adapter but than as i began to charge a ran into another problem. One of the cells is dead. I have tried the 9v battery trick but it just doesn't work. I also had this happen with a 2200mah 3s that i got along with this 3700mah 2s. What should i do?

FDS

Elite member
Buy the 18650 conversion or make a lead with XT60 Male to jack plug and run off a 2s lipo.
Are these packs second hand? If not then there’s something else going on because 3 dead cells in a row is unlikely.

IcedStorm777

Buy the 18650 conversion or make a lead with XT60 Male to jack plug and run off a 2s lipo.
Are these packs second hand? If not then there’s something else going on because 3 dead cells in a row is unlikely.

So i am using a non fatshark branded 3700mah 2s that the guy who i bought the goggles off of gave me. When i plug the battery into my charger it shows the first sell at zero volts and the second cell at about 4.5 V. It is a Li-Ion battery. I was wondering if their was a way to fix the dead cell? If not, and if i use another battery is using a lipo instead of a li-ION going to work?

FDS

Elite member
Any 2s lipo works fine. I would bin those dead batteries, you can harvest the li ion cells, check out posts about 18650 mods for Fatshark. You can probably swap the dead one.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
If it's an actual Fatshark battery, DO NOT use the balance plug to "balance" the battery. The Fatshark instructions specifically tell you not to do it, as it can damage the battery.

If you opt to go with the 18650 battery packs (which I recommend; they've worked REALLY well for me with the Fatshark goggles, and tend to hold a charge much longer than a lipo will) get a separate charger for the 18650 batteries. It'll end up being safer for you all the way around.

The only thing i can recommend should you go that route is to be VERY cautious on your batteries. There are a lot of sketchy batteries that claim to be LG or Panasonic brand, but turn out to be counterfeits. I've had really good luck with Westinghouse brand, even though there are people who use them for vape pens who said they're lousy - might be their application requires higher draw than the Fatshark battery packs.