Fatshark Predator V2

Nathan4

Hello,

So I am about to buy a fatshark predator v2, but I can't seem to find any review of these FPV goggles on youtube, just a few sketchy ones...
They seem to be not that popular, why???
Besides that, I am about to buy them for +-130 dollars, or well, 100 euros.
I want to know if they can be "connected" to any transmitter, as I have a drone with:

this transmittor: https://es.banggood.com/Eachine-VTX...kmClientCountry=ES&rmmds=cart_middle_products

and this camera: https://es.banggood.com/Eachine-100...S&rmmds=cart_middle_products&cur_warehouse=CN

So, will I be able to use these glasses with this transmitter?
Is it worth buying them for 100 euros/130 dollars?
Are they comfortable?
I've also seen that they only have about 7 channels and there's no button to automatically search the best signal/channel, is this correct?

Thanks!

Liam B

They will work, but are quite outdated. For the same amount of money, you can get a set of box goggles with an even bette feature set.

That’s probably why you don’t see any reviews. They are pretty old, and really lacking modern features.

Nathan4

They will work, but are quite outdated. For the same amount of money, you can get a set of box goggles with an even bette feature set.

That’s probably why you don’t see any reviews. They are pretty old, and really lacking modern features.
Thank you so much for replying, on the other hand, they are non-boxed goggles, look way better and are more comfortable I bet... So, you wouldn't do it? Which would you recommend me then? Do you think the FatShark attitude is worth it?

FDS

Elite member
Other non box goggles exist, several of the competitor models are now easily better than the older Fatsharks. I bought second hand Dominator V3’s, they are good but not $200 better than my $50 box goggles. I would look at the non fatshark models too. My non diversity Ev800’s easily hit 250-300m range with a basic cloverleaf without any break up.
Also box goggles are perfectly fine to fly and race in. As someone who owns both I can say I would have been quite happy with box goggles for most situations. Yes the ergonomics are a bit clumsy but the picture can be very good. The FXT Viper V2 is a good compromise between both types.

Last edited:

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
So...my 2 cents:

Don't buy the Fatshark Predators. They are older goggles, and they have a big issue with them, as stupid as this might sound: They don't have a fan to blow across the lenses. While that might not seem like a big deal, it is HUGE when you are outside, pull up your goggles after landing and change out the batteries, and then decide to go back to looking out of them. The temperature difference from wearing them to sweating on your face will fog them up like crazy. With the fan that just about every other pair of Fatshark style goggles has, it makes a HUGE difference and prevents that from happening.

There's also the module that comes with it being...Well, it's not the greatest for viewing video, and the optics are sub-par compared to the newer models like the Attitude V4 and V5, if you really want the Fatshark brand. Also, those Predators, if I remember correctly, didn't support Raceband, which all of the newer goggles do - and that is REALLY where you want to be flying FPV - there's enough split between the channels that there's no crowding if your buddy is on channel one and you're on channel two.

There are other box goggles which work great; I've got a set of Quanum Cyclops V2 goggles that are, for the price, really pretty good and run about $70 USD. The only issue I had with them was the cheap dipole antenna that came with it; switching it out to a mushroom or cloverleaf antenna greatly improved the quality of signal. There's also a Quanum Diversity for $20 USD more, which gives you diversity antennas (essentially, you run two antennas at a time and the signal switches between the patch style antenna, which is directional, and the omnidirectional antenna of a dipole antenna), as well as offering a DVR so you can record video of your flights (however, the video is only going to be as good as what you see through the camera - if you have static in the signal or cutouts/drops, that will be in your recording - and that is the same regardless of whether you have Fatsharks, Eachines, Quanums, etc.). There are a few things going for the box goggles, too - most fit over regular glasses, and due to the distance of the screen from your face, they rarely have an issue with fogging up. My experiences with the Fatsharks, however, seem to be much better video quality than the box goggles; you get what you pay for, although it can be 4-5 times the price of a pair of box goggles for the Fatsharks.

All that said, if you are getting started into FPV, go with a pair of the box goggles. The Quanums are the best bang for your buck that I've found, as they fit well, they're not expensive, and if you eventually move up into the Fatshark territory, the Quanums make a great backup pair, especially if you want someone to follow along with your flights - you can just power them up, hit the "Scan" button, and it'll cycle through until it hits the first strong signal. If you've got multiple feeds running, simply press the "Scan" button again to find another channel (although you can tune in to a specific channel manually if you need to as well).

If you are stuck on the Fatshark brand (and I can understand that - there's a reason why Fatshark is synonymous with FPV; they're better than most, and that's why so many people use them), I would recommend maybe looking at the Attitude V5 goggles, which look to be retailing at $300 USD. They come with diversity, a DVR, both a mushroom style and a patch antenna, a Fatshark module (which can be swapped out for a different module like a TrueD, for example - although the stock modules are actually pretty decent!), battery pack, and carrying case. All of that is one heck of a deal, when you consider that some of the higher end Fatsharks don't come with the modules, which start at around $25 and can go as high as $250 (but most pilots don't need the $250 video receiver modules).

These two examples are my recommendations, depending on what you're looking for. I know there are other brands out there, and other models within the brands, but these two are what I'd recommend, based on my own experiences.

Reactions: FDS