Fatshark Teleporter V3 poor goggle vision

Crazy Professor

Crazy Professor
Hi crew,

I use the Fatshark Teleporter V3 RTF kit on my Bixler with the Remzibi OSD, and circular polarised antennae, but I do not think that the view through the goggles is all that great. I guess I am comparing what I can do to others on the net who are flying FPV around trees, and close to the ground. It seems that they can see very well what is coming up in front of them where I would have trouble doing such things. Nearly crashed into the ground a few times because it was not clear. What do you think is effecting the quality of my picture, would it be the camera, the transmission of the video, or the goggles?

Check out this video for a close call. I did not know I was so close to the ground!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5EoXbLcn1A

Thanks heaps for your help.
CP.

eagle4

hey mate, there are a few things to think about, many times online we see these beautiful scenic views taken from the air. this is usually the HD video being shot with a gopro. what the pilot sees is generally much lower quality. also the Teleporter V3 is the lowest end fatshark system. It does have the lowest resolution out there. unfortunately that means that they were made to the budget. its hard to say without seeing for myself, but my guess is this is the case. do you have a gopro, mobius or other camera that you could use? perhaps if you tried that it might give you better quality, but the screens on the teleporters are pretty low res. sorry i cant be of much more help.

Dave

Crazy Professor

Crazy Professor
Thanks for that. Yes, I do understand that the video on the net is the recording from the camera and not the downlink to the goggles, although at times you can find such videos. I do have a camera here to try, just a normal digital point and shoot I can plug in to. Do not have a Gopro or Mobius to much $$. I have connected the goggles to an old in-car DVD player but the video is only black and white. On our home TV the picture quality is not to bad, although it is a good size TV.

Is there any way of exchanging the screens in the goggles for higher res. ones, or is the output suited to the low res screens supplied with the Teleporter V3?

eagle4

hmm i dont think you can mate. I met mr FatShark last year just before these came out and I was asking him about it, he told me that they were designed to get people to upgrade. Its a fantastic starting off point into fpv if you dont have much money, but its kind of expected for you to go and get higher goggles once you want to do more fpv flying and have a better experience. I'd imagine if you were to get some screens from other goggles it'd cost almost the same as buying some new ones, and it'd probably be a pain to replace. perhaps you could sell off your teleporters to someone else who's interested in getting into fpv and then go buy yourself another pair

Crazy Professor

Crazy Professor
Ok, Thanks for that!
Possibly next years B.Day gift maybe? Good thinking to to recoup $$ by selling them on to another however I am slowly learning that If you buy cheap, you buy twice. Not to sure I want another to have the same trouble I did.

I used to use an old no name 36mhz TX, upgraded to Hitec Optic 6 and what a difference it made! Crashes are far less frequent now.

Any ideas why my video screen may show in Black and white?

CP

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
I fly with the Teleport V3 as well and have not had any issues.

Now the Pilot HD camera is no where as good as the GoPro but I use the camera's on 2 different setups.

Pilot HD on my Bix and other slower planes I want to cruise with. Has the pan and tilt.

The go pro is great on my Versa Wing and will be used for the Tricopter.

Yes the Tel V3's are entry level but they will do me for a good long time.

Down link video of what the V3's feel like.

Crazy Professor

Crazy Professor
Hi Andre,
So is this what you get using the pilot camera in the V3 kit? Looks pretty good to me!
Do you fly through goggles or a screen?
Do you know why I may be getting a black and white picture through my monitor?

Thanks

CP

Team_Monkey

I also have the teleporter set and I was really impressed with the camera's recorded footage using the SD slot.
http://youtu.be/vjHnZExHqKY
I knew the goggles are their lowest resolution but I wanted a set for bashing around and assumed I'd buy better if I really loved FPV. Also, the TX gear it comes with is a great setup as a basis for down the road too.

I was recently able to compare Attitude goggles to the Teleporter goggles using the same camera feed at the ReadyMadeRC booth at the Toledo show. It was interesting to see the difference in resolution (Attitudes are awesome!) and the screen cropping. The Teleporter actually cropped the screen such that part of the OSD info was missing. I don't know if the size of the output from the OSD is adjustable, but that could be a problem if one didn't know.

As far as not realizing the terrain was so close, that's just practice. I had the same thing when I was introduced to FPV. My friend was howling that I was going to put his plane in a tree but I thought I had missed it by a far distance. :D

Crazy Professor

Crazy Professor
I also have the teleporter set and I was really impressed with the camera's recorded footage using the SD slot.
http://youtu.be/vjHnZExHqKY
I knew the goggles are their lowest resolution but I wanted a set for bashing around and assumed I'd buy better if I really loved FPV. Also, the TX gear it comes with is a great setup as a basis for down the road too.:D

Yo Team Monkey,
Thanks heaps for your comments, I guess this is what I was really chasing. To see if the quality of the display was from the goggles or from the other equipment. If the goggles themselves make such a difference, all the other components must not be the determining factor in picture quality.

You are all right. I have not had so much experience with FPV just yet. I hope it all gets easier soon.
Putting those goggles down over your eyes gets the heart really pumping, as the adjustment takes place, and then again as you bring the plane in close and lift them up and try your best to find the plane in the sky again, Yikes!

Great Vid btw. I noticed that you get the vertical lines through the picture when the camera is close to a bright light source. I had the same trouble. Recently rearranged all the wiring and the problem has gone away. Hope that helps.

Anyone know why the monitor I have connected would be displaying Black and white?

CP

Last edited:

marc60

Ey professor.
all the components have their effect. If one delivers bad quality, your image will be not optimized.
The contrast in your video seems not to good. As soon as there is sky in view, you cannot see the ground. Can you adjust the cam? (some cams have an OSD)
I asked one of the guys on the Dutch FPV forum once how he could see all the little branches when flying through the woods. He said; "I don't, so I crash often; no pain no fun :D"
Grts Marc

Team_Monkey

Check that your monitor is set to PAL, not NTSC. The camera output is PAL.
I had a similar experience when I tried to route the goggle output to a small car sized DVD player to see if it would work as a "passenger" monitor.

The Fatshark factory folks are very helpful and responsive over on FPVlabs.com

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Hi Andre,
So is this what you get using the pilot camera in the V3 kit? Looks pretty good to me!
Do you fly through goggles or a screen?
Do you know why I may be getting a black and white picture through my monitor?

Thanks

CP

Sorry for the delay.
I fly from the goggles.

Depends on the monitor. The downlink feed is recorded off a DVR unit.
I've yet to invest in a screen but on a nice day I have no issues.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
I also flashed my OSD and was able to move the data around to avoid the counter (red).

For my needs and FPV desires the Tel V3 fit the bill.

BTW in that video I experienced a range issue, lost power to the motor (did not know this at the time) and glided it home.
All with my goggles on. Even saw that lamp post and knew I was clear. (Was more concerned about the truck)

I would love the HD stuff or higher res Attitude but again for the amount of flying and $$$ these are great.

Crazy Professor

Crazy Professor
Andre,

Thanks for the vid. I guess your DVR recording is just as I experience it. At times the contrast against the brightness of the sky blanks out the ground, and you did well to see the lamp post. Guess I will just do a little more practice and try to get used to it.

I use the Remzib (poor man's OSD). It is very easy to move the items on the display around via a PC program ,downloadable from the net, so that they are all visible in the display in your goggles. I have really liked it. It does not have a compass type bearing however. It will just set the compas based on the orientation of the GPS when it is turned on. Otherwise, a fantastic OSD.

CP

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
CP, here is the write up on the DVR.

http://flitetest.com/articles/portable-dvr-for-fpv

Having a properly working lens on the FS camera is a bonus. (Long story) but I also know the area I'm flying in and have a spotter with me all the time.

I run a $24 OSD/GPS unit from HK. Does the trick but took some fiddling to get it to work nicely.

As per the contrast I dont really have issues there and you can tick the levels up/down on the goggles but I just found taking off with the goggles on easier as I dont get that sudden change in light level.

Once you get up high enough you catch your breath and have some fun.