Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Elliptical Wing

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Clipped Wing

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Hi all, I'm planning on doing a Mighty Mini sized Master series style Spitfire and I want to know which style canopy most people prefer. Also Clipped Wing or Elliptical Wing? You get two votes, so use one vote on which canopy you like and which wing you like.

ThatsALotOfPlanes

I like the idea of a clipped wing spitfire, but also a Malcom hood canopy (the 'razorback' canopy). Take a look at the Spitfire LF MkVb on Google, there's at least one flying around in Britain. A full wing might end up being better though with the mini size, and it would be easier to recognize as a spitfire to most people. Whatever you choose, your work is always incredible in your designs!

Cheers!

Last edited:

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
You are going to find a lot of Spitfire purist on the forums so don't be surprised if most of the votes go that direction. You're right @ThatsALotOfPlanes about the wing, it's one of the most recognizable features of the Spit, and a bubble top would take away from the look of the Spit as well. Although @Grifflyer you could do the elliptical/clipped wing option, just like you have other options, (like flaps/no flaps), would be an easy one to play with as well. Keep the wing tips in the original plans with a line to cut for the clipped option. The Overstreets also do have plans like, on the P-47, to do a razorback/bubble top option as well. Just a thought.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
It would actually be cool to see both models fly and compare the difference in performance, for someone interested to build the plane according to what they want out of it. Just sayin

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
Hey guys I've got a bit of a dilemma here, I'm working on designing the spit and I went to start work on the nose and I noticed that a mini FT power pod won't fit in the nose. Currently, the plane would have a 30 in wingspan which worked really well on the original prototype for the P-39. I can't decide if I should
  • Ditch the swappable power pod, and build the plane so it isn't swappable (this is the least attractive solution because I like to try to keep my designs within FT standards)
  • I could upscale just the fuse and tail feathers by about 5-10% to fit the pod
  • I could blow the whole plane by 5-10% but then you might not get very good performance on 3s.
What do you think I should go with?

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I could also make so you have to modify the mini firewall by making a few diagonal cuts on the corners.
Let me know what you think.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Being that its a mini maybe the fixed firewall and a too battery hatch might be the best for ease of battery changes. Plus the power pod just takes up extra room which would allow for better cooling. The mini pp seems to be a waste of time and space in any of the minis i have built. Just my 2 cents