FB Stick is on the way

stumpy66

My Middlestick Rendition

Powered with a Turnigy D3536/8 with a 35A ESC and 2200Mah 25C Zippy compact. 8X6 prop here gives a 1:1 ish gear ratio perfectly, theoretical top speed 70mph. We'll see about that :black_eyed: Went and put arrow shafts in the wings then taped it all over to harden it up. Maiden is gonna have to wait till my next box of goodies from HK as I am out of servos.:(

Attachments

• 2014-07-15 14.43.55.jpg
    2014-07-15 14.43.55.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 454
  • 2014-07-15 14.45.02.jpg
    2014-07-15 14.45.02.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 451
Last edited:

hotwax

Hi stumpi66,

great build! This wing should be unbreakable.

I am a bit concerned about your prop. It looks too small to me for a 1000 KV motor.
Using a 4 cell battery, 10 x 6 will be fine. With 3 cells, I would try 10 x 8 or 11 x 6.
For a 8 x 6 prop, a motor with 1400+ KV would be better suited.

Keep going

stumpy66

The 1000kv motor with the 8x6 on a 4s gives 129 watts/pound which should be plenty to get this moving quite crisply and without frying the electrics. Have bench tested it for a full battery's draw. the power is brilliant at WOT and the ESC doesn't even get warm thanx to the plastic teaspoon vent I put on the fuse bottom. This is gonna be my favourite bird I am sure.

hotwax

Hi stumpy66,

I use about 500 Watt and that's not overpowered. That is well in the envelope Motor and ESC can give.

If you have maybe 300 Watts, takeoff will be prolonged and climbout will be a bit sloppy. If you don't mind, everthing will be fine. If you want a more sparkling performance, just change the prop.

The other thing is flightime. At 300 Watts you need almost the whole flight full throttle, where you can use half throttle at 500 Watts. In the end, flightime will be the same.

Just my humble opinion

stumpy66

Oops

Was getting the stick ready for maiden and had a moment that resulted in my hand getting bit :black_eyed: Swapped up to a 10x6 prop btw :eek: 2014-07-27 13.45.26.jpg

BuckE67

Ouch!

Great build though. Nice detail and construction techniques. I learned a lot from your build pictures. Thanks!

charleyza

Hi Werner

Thank you for posting the plans.

How do I tell if my printer (A4) has printed the scale right? I see the line with 1 to 10 but Im unsure what that means?

Last edited:

hotwax

Hi Werner

Thank you for posting the plans.

How do I tell if my printer (A4) has printed the scale right? I see the line with 1 to 10 but Im unsure what that means?

The scale is in cm. The whole bar ist 10 cm or roughly 4 inches. If you use the posterprint option in Adobe Reader all should come out true.

I looked at the stick at rcgroups.

The specs are:

Construction Material: 6mm Depron with a little balsa and ply here and there
Wingspan: 1000 mm (39.37 ")
AUW: 560 gms (20 oz) With Polyquest 2100 3S
Motor: Hyperion 3007/26 (I believe this is equivalent to Hacker A30-28S)
ESC: Hyperion Titan 30A
Batteries: Tried so far - Polyquest 2100 XP 3S, Polyquest 2100 Wide Flat 3S
Props: tried so far APC slow Fly 11.4.7, APC-E 10x5 (better)

My specs are:

Construction Material: 5mm foamboard
Wingspan: 1400 mm
AUW: 1600 gms with Zippy 2800 4S
Motor: Turnigy 3536/8 1000KV
ESC: Turnigy 40 A
Batteries: Tried so far - Zippy 2800 4S
Props: E-Prop 10 x 6

You can see the RCgroup Stick ist 1/3 the weight and 2/3 the size. My Stick resembles a 40 size Trainer for flying field use. The RCgroups Stick is a very nice parkflyer.

The RCgroups Stick with a thick wing would not fly much different, but would suffer from the additional weight.
My Stick with a thin flat wing would break on takeoff.

Last edited:

charleyza

Oh ok I see what you mean. Thank you for the information my mate!

I ordered some 6mm depron today - looking forward to building a stick.

I will try the smaller simpler one first as at the moment I only fly my apprentice in parks.

charleyza

Yeah I think simpler is better to start. My depron arrived but they messed up the order and gave me 3mm (I wanted 6mm) Its a very expensive product here in SA - I think its imported.

I'm sticking 2 sheets together (in template size chunks) as I go, cutting with a hot wire seems to seal the seams but I will hot glue the seams anyway. Hopefully the two 3mm sheets dont backfire later on!

I will post some pictures this weekend, looking forward to eventually flying this stick :)

emckay7067

WOW. I am thrilled to find this thread and plans. I have been looking for an Ugly Stick made out of foamboard. Two things I have to do now: Get the plans printed out; and order an FT kit and build it to get familiar with working with foamboard.

good work i built a stik out of coreflute about 2 months ago. https://vimeo.com/124486630 The 48" wingspan plane is designed to have a wide envelope of good flight characteristics for users. It can be used quite comfortably as a plane for just doodling around and for training. It also has the qualities of fast vertical climbing effortless inverted flight, rolls, loops et cetera and would be a very competitive combat plane. It is a very inexpensive plane to build, built from 3mm correx or coreflute which is a very robust inexpensive material. The plane just bounces on hard landings without damage. The all up cost of the plane was about $55 Australian including the motor and servos. das-1 copy.jpg

hotwax

How have these servos held up for you Werner? Any need to go metal gear? If so, do you have any recommendations?

Late answer, sorry for that:

They are still going strong. I'm using DSMX with 11ms repeat time with no issues so far.

mactek

good work i built a stik out of coreflute about 2 months ago. https://vimeo.com/124486630 The 48" wingspan plane is designed to have a wide envelope of good flight characteristics for users. It can be used quite comfortably as a plane for just doodling around and for training. It also has the qualities of fast vertical climbing effortless inverted flight, rolls, loops et cetera and would be a very competitive combat plane. It is a very inexpensive plane to build, built from 3mm correx or coreflute which is a very robust inexpensive material. The plane just bounces on hard landings without damage. The all up cost of the plane was about $55 Australian including the motor and servos. View attachment 46557

The plane looks really good. I was curious what landing gear are you using.