FCC regulations for FPV video transmitters

Does anyone know the FCC regulations for using a FPV video transmitter over 25mw or for that matter any power output? I have a 6oomw FPV camera with the transmitter included. Trying to fine out if there is actually a legal issue using the 600mw power setting.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
You need a HAM licence for most 25mw too. ANY transmitter/antenna combo that is not FCC certified will require a license. None of the manufacturers certify any of the cheap FPV gear.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
LitterBug is correct.

if your on analog, it is basically guaranteed that you need a HAM license. the "it is ok at 25mW or lower" that keeps getting commented about is a myth as far as I can tell, there is nothing in the rules allowing that.

Adui

Actually there are legal low power transmitters for unlicensed use. On some frequencies the power limit is as high as 10 watts. However, as was pointed out above these devices have to have FCC compliance certifications. Without the FCC cert, it isn't legal...

LitterBug is correct.

if your on analog, it is basically guaranteed that you need a HAM license. the "it is ok at 25mW or lower" that keeps getting commented about is a myth as far as I can tell, there is nothing in the rules allowing that

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
Actually there are legal low power transmitters for unlicensed use. On some frequencies the power limit is as high as 10 watts. However, as was pointed out above these devices have to have FCC compliance certifications. Without the FCC cert, it isn't legal...

I think you miss understood my comment then, it was specifically about analog VTXes ,not the full spectrum of possibilities outside of that group.

because, to my knowledge there isn't any FCC certified analog VTXes, therefore you would require the HAM license
outside of showing that there is a FCC certified analog VTX, you wouldn't be correcting my statement, which is what your appearing to try to do.

edit: I take that back, IIRC I have heard of 1, it was ridiculously low powered - you would be lucky to get 200-300ft range in open air.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I was able to take the test for free in Central Ohio. A local HAM club one county north offers free testing every month. Check your local area for testing centers run by clubs and you may find something similar.

FYI, I have one of those ancient Fat Shark FCC TXes that came in a bundle box of misc parts. I have never used it but should dig it out and give it a good test.

1682683140891.png

Last edited:

Bricks

Master member
Wonder how many actually have a Ham license that flies FPV, out here in the Midwest I certainly don`t worry about it.

Adui

I'm pretty sure the RID rule will be followed by about as many fliers follow the FCC HAM rule.
I'm pretty sure you are correct; until the feds start hammering people. The good news is, if it is enforced anything like HAM and other radio, its got to be reported by enough people with enough evidence before the FCC ever tries to get involved. FAA might be the same? (personally, I'm not taking a chance but I'm not saying you should or shouldn't)

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Found my Fatshark FCC VTX. Going to rig it up on something and get it out to the field soon....
IMG_20230510_212452725.jpg

Probably something I fly LOS all the time. Maybe this would be good for the getting stupid with the Tiny Trainer thread too....

Some crazy FPV flying with a low power VTX

:)

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Video as promised.... Was very windy and gusty, and my DVR was adding white noise that wasn't in my goggles. Overall, not bad but also had a really nice directional antenna on my ground station and unobstructed RF path.

Astro54

Does anyone know the FCC regulations for using a FPV video transmitter over 25mw or for that matter any power output? I have a 6oomw FPV camera with the transmitter included. Trying to fine out if there is actually a legal issue using the 600mw power setting.
At least a Technician HAM license is required for transmitting Video and Audio from an FPV Transmitter. Registration is also required for Drones or Fixed Wing Aircraft and the Registration # must be displayed on the aircraft. Also a TRUST Certificate is also required and can be obtained by taking the Exam on the AMA site. Anything above 55 lb requires a Remote Pilot Certification. I just received my Tech license and I also have my Registration # and My Trust Certificate along with Remote ID # . I am not 100% sure how may Watts can be used legally.. I am thinking 1-2 watts max. Anything .55lb (253gr) are not required to be registered if flown in a FRIA.