FDM FMX-4 DTFB version by FoamyDM (original by Barnaby Wainfan)

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
1001_facet_FMX4_shows_construction.jpg

I happen to be perusing homebuilt aircraft pages such as these and thought to myself this is a VERY simple, quickbuilding and interesting Aircraft worth making DTFB RC.
So I started off. and quickly got to these plans: (ALPHA PLAN Set)
1652820179062.png
There is a Peanut scale balsa Version. Highlighted here by Joshua Finn's video (J&H Aerospace)
facetmobile peanut article pics (1).jpg

Here is one flying :

BuildLog:
the link below is a link to the EAA chapter 292's Build of this plane. What I notice
http://www.hainesengineering.com/rhaines/aircraft/facetmobile.htm
5/17

5/19

Glide Test:

Maiden Flight:

Take-aways:

Attachments

• FDM-Fmx4.20.pdf
    238.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

FoamyDM

Dry fitting the body top on
IMG_20220518_002940374.jpg IMG_20220518_002953339.jpg IMG_20220518_005440667.jpg IMG_20220518_005426184.jpg IMG_20220518_005420372.jpg
Looks like I have the swappable pods setup
The fit looks good, ready for glueing down.
IMG_20220518_011837144.jpg

I did a bedroom glide test and it did well but was fast.i want to try a front lawn filmed test next.

FoamyDM

That is the v4 of it, yup. apparently it has very forgiving tendencies and allows generally high usable payload. (pilot weight). I suppose I should get back to it, huh.

L Edge

Master member
If you keep it light, you should be able to fly it in your front yard. It will fly real slow in a high alpha config. Mine is a delta version like yours where I adapted it to an EDF.

FoamyDM

Here is the glide test:
I will add it to post #1

@L Edge based on the glide, I can see it! It should be fun. It is a 24" L x 19" W.

I will be placing the servos on the bottom. Along with the battery hatch. This should be easy to get batteries in.

L Edge

Master member
Are you doing landing grear? If not, don't do servos on bottom, will tear out on landing if you hit an object.

FoamyDM

Are you doing landing grear? If not, don't do servos on bottom, will tear out on landing if you hit an object.
good point. Thank you for that.
I was planning on adding some pre built jobbers on there. I might 3d print some wheels though and use Landscaping wire.
While I get ready for the Maiden I may decide to get a FMX-7 versioni designed out.

FoamyDM

I just put the electronics in this model and setup a profile in the Tx.
IMG_20220528_031659247.jpg
IMG_20220528_031635578.jpg

I have to install rear landing gear.

FoamyDM

today. Finished up the landing gear. Then I took it out to the field and gave it it's maiden flight:

lienmeat

This is so cool. I just learned about the facetmobile a few months ago and was looking to see if anyone had built one about this size. Do you think without landing gear (weight) it would fly with a FT power pack A motor (1806 2280kv) with a 6x4.5 prop and a 850mah 3s battery?

I was thinking with a smaller battery, a smaller motor and prop might be enough, but I'd love to get your opinion before I try.

FoamyDM

It might be enough, but just barely. The F pack - likely. it is worth trying.
The build is incredibly simple.

FoamyDM

The cg in mine is Right in front of the vertical interal... Spar? where the pilot sits in the real one. but it may be more like 3/8" in front of it.

in most tricycle geared planes, the cg is a tire width in front of the rear main gear. in a tail dragger, it's the opposite.