February iis FT-Build-ruary Month!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
what are some good techniques to take off the paper without it warping?

Pull it off as close to directly 180 degrees back on itself - but it will warp a bit anyway when the 1st side comes off. When you get the second side off it will come back flat again though.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
Pull it off as close to directly 180 degrees back on itself - but it will warp a bit anyway when the 1st side comes off. When you get the second side off it will come back flat again though.

should i do this after i cut the pieces out?
what about after i assemble? probably not.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
should i do this after i cut the pieces out?
what about after i assemble? probably not.

I find it easiest to peel the pieces after they have been cut out, but before assembly. I've had mixed luck with peeling whole sheets, and peeling after assembly is just a mess

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
working on the build video!

Great! and yes only a -4 for no maiden... I like where your head is at.

@Rockyboy - I agree the pieces are a bit tedious but produce good results and allow or more than one pick point if it goes a bit south (not fair to those South of the equator, I know. sorry)

FoamyDM

I't' sofficial I have punted...
t_170.jpg

We will see if it's good tonight.

I have switched to building the Bloody Black Widow by FoamyDM.

I cut this morning and taped over half at lunch.

See pics and details here:

FoamyDM

I'm as done as I am going to be.

2 Barons, 1 Arrow, 1 Tiny trainer, 0 Diamonds, 0 C-130s.
4 Successful maidens, 0 videos to prove it.

Can't believe we are rolling straight into March Madness!

Please, please don't come up with an irresistible challenge for April!

DamoRC

That is SO EXCITING! I didn't see the details on the TT. I look Forward to checking it out.
I'll have to say this has been much harder than I Imagined.

You mean Like FTFC-April Showers Challenge: Build and fly a Waterproof Plane? ;)

Last edited:

FoamyDM

The Challenge Closes - GREAT JOB and Thank You

2 THINGS:

First: In a last minute flourish I managed to get the Bloody Black Widow to the ABE stage. (All But the Electronics) I have updated the build info and take-aways.

Second: Today marks the end of the FTF-Build-Ruary Challenge!

I would like to say THANK YOU and a GREAT JOB to all the participants :applause:

Reminder: the Winner get's a full size plan print. a printed Skin, and a trophy.

I Would like to give everyone a moment to get any last pictures or notes updated maybe, a Maiden video linked, While I start my scoring matrix. It is a BUSY day for me today and tonight and I may not get these scored for a day or two.

As I do this, I would welcome feedback from both in and out of challenge, on the three S's, as feedback is a gift.

What Went well
What I should stop
What would be helpful to start.

Thank you all in advance

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
I won't be able to put up my video for the mustang or for the second discovery until Friday at the earliest because of my household situation. Would it count against me to do it then?

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I would like to say THANK YOU and a GREAT JOB to all the participants :applause:
What Went well
What I should stop
What would be helpful to start.

No, thank YOU FoamyDM for putting this together and driving it a long. It was a tough month of building but it was fun (and I now have re-built my hangar!)

For feedback, I don't have any negatives, I think the challenge was organized well, described well in terms of rules and scoring, and managed well in that you checked in with the entrants as the build went along.

One minor suggestion would be to define a home for the build threads, I think some ended up in the Mad Builders sub-forum and some ended up here in the User Challenges forum. This is no biggie but if your tendency is to bookmark and visit a couple of specific sub-forums (like I do) then you can miss the updates from the entrants (which happened me a lot due to the manic activity on the threads).

Thanks again,

DamoRC

FoamyDM

@ Foamtest - Nope It's all fine. I'm assuming the vids were taken in February, or today at the latest. I understand completely. While my discretion, I doubt any other Challenge participant would have an issue.

I think we're just excited to see your progress.

@DamoRC - Thank you for the feedback. I'll talk to the moderators to see how we might best organize it.

Last edited:

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
build video for the partially finished simple scout is going up later today for me. do you want me to put that and the versa wing builds linked in the first post?

FoamyDM

On the Initial SCORING run - it is NECK and NECK and NECK

I promised FoamTest a chance to upload the Build vids tomorrow so we'll see.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
On the Initial SCORING run - it is NECK and NECK and NECK

I promised FoamTest a chance to upload the Build vids tomorrow so we'll see.

NECK and NECK and NECK, huh? so one person isnt up to par. lol probably me. ive got my build video for my progress so far on the scout coming too so...

FoamyDM

@Daniel Kezar - I saw the Build video. I love it. I have to be honest that your score isn't as high. 2 big reasons. no General Pics, Maidens or color for either builds. Please don't let that discourage you. I can't wait to see these finished.

Going through the point system. I should have broken out the scoring better for the Build-log (6pts) and the Maiden Vid

Build Log (6pts)
0 - Build log, I was supposed to do that?
1 - a Picture of the finished model. little description
2 - A decent description of how you put it together with a note about your experience with a picture of the final product
3 - Some Pics (1 start, 3 middle [cuts and assemblage], 1 final) with final model, little to no Descriptions
4 - Many of pics, descriptions for most and note for interesting bits. Hiccups, and hard parts.
5 - Documentation of the whole process little description or a great description with a few highlight pictures
6 - Full documentation with descriptive text and specific pics and verbiage describing methods and unique or custom modifications or mods to the plan for better construction, So others building will have a leg up.

I allow for partial Points for partial completion.

Color (3 pts)
0 - none
1 - Stripe or two or a logo
2 - one solid color
3 - solid color with stripes, decals or details

Maiden (4pts)
0 - None
1 - Verbal
2 - Vid, No flight
3 - Vid, meh Flight
4 - Vid and success or documented crash

FoamyDM

FTFC: Build-Ruary Winner

Before I write all the findings and winner Stuff, I would like to Thank all the Challengers for being willing to take on this mad-cap Build-a-minute exercise in construction insanity. If you were like me you realized you bit off a bit more than you thought.

But when it comes down to it, this has been a LOT of fun.

Please note the follow considerations:
  • I added everyone's extra planes: My very incomplete Flapjack, Foamtests Discovery V2.0, and DamoRC's extra Baron (as stated x 30%)
  • @Foamtest - I considered the build write up in your core Discovery thread. otherwise your score is 4 less. As you did the work I didn't think you deserved to be penalized.

FoamyDM - the incomplete Bloody Black Widow and swap-out limited this score
DamoRC - the lack of Maiden vids limited this score
Foamtest - The Mustang build-log brevity and limited sprucing of the planes limited this score
Daniel Kezar - It was difficult to follow your progress on your thread. Using your first post as Summary spot goes a long way for others to follow your progress. And of course the lack of completion and color had a big impact on the score.

All that being said, barring a posted build-Vid for the Mustang from Foamtest we have a Winner.

Initial Results.JPG

WINNER:
DamoRC pulls ahead by a nose!

Last edited:

FoamyDM

After announcing the results of the Challenge I received a message from DamoRC himself asking to share the winnings with The other Challengers.

Foamtest and Daniel Kezar, Please let me know what Full-sized Plan Set or Skin you would like me to Print and send you. Then PM me your mailing address so I can get them over.

The Trophy is still being finalized and will be announced soon! so stay tuned.
And Congratulations again to DamoRC.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
There is actually a really cool community design of an SE5 that I have added to the top of my build list, the forum thread is here. If you can not do that then I would like the FT Simple Storch please! I'll PM my shipping address momentarily.

This was an awesome challenge and I can't wait for the next one...:cool:

Last edited: