February iis FT-Build-ruary Month!

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
February is FT-Build-Ruary Month!

Hi All, Welcome to the new year!
I challenge all here to turn February into FT-Build-Ruary

So Many Planes So Little Time:
I, like most folk in this community, have a LONG build list of planes I would LOVE to build. In the last month and late 2017 there has been in incredible influx of new Planes, Plans, builds and ideas/inspiration with the Bloody WWII Baby! forum thread and and the FTFC: WWII Design & Build Challenge
FTCollage.JPG FTFC2018.png

Challenge: Spend February building at least 4 functioning RC Foam planes. Make a list and Build-log for each plane on the list. This will be scored out of 100 pts. (16 pts for entry, and 21 pts for each Build)

TO ENTER:
Be sure to post your entry below:
Must have a Declaration of participation with a link to your Build Thread
a list of your four(4) planes.

Build Thread Summary (16pts):
Start a Thread - "FTFC: FT-Build-ruary by (Builder)" with your linked build list. Include your estimated Build Skill and Piloting Skill (1=New, 5=Expert)

Example
FTFC: FT-Build-ruary by FoamyDM (Build Skill: 4 Skilled, Pilot SKill: 2 Novice)
  1. FT-X-29
  2. Bloody WWII Baby - Bloody Vampire, by FoamyDM 30mm EDF
  3. FT-Delta (for the kids)
  4. FTFC - WWII Design & Build: Flying Pancake, by SPONZ and Local Fiend
Extras:
*Extra Planes beyond the submitted four(4) will be counted for 30% value (round up)*
For this entry I would earn - 13pts. Most of these are at or above my build and piloting skill level, the delta is well below.

BUILD POSTS: (21pts each)
Set aside Posts 2 - 5 and title them "FT-Build-Ruary: (plane) Build by (builder)"
Each build post will be scored as follows:
  1. 1pts Picture of the plane
  2. 2pts Plans link and/or Forum link (for other community memmbers to find them)
  3. 2pts Reason for choosing this plane
  4. 6pts Build-log: A brief explanation of your build process, and note difficulties, changes and tips along the way. Be sure include your build pics and a estimated build time.
  5. 1pts Build Rating (1 Simple -5 Complex), Use These Icons:
    B1-5.JPG
  6. 3pts Color Scheme - A decorated plane is more fun!
  7. 4pts Maiden Video
  8. 1pts Fly rating (1 Easy - 5 Sketchy) Use These Icons:
    F1-5.JPG
  9. 1pts Post-project reflective statement. (Summary of Do's, Don't and tips)
*Planes started prior to Febraury 1st will take a 5 pt. deduction.*

I will keep a running tally in a post below for easy reference!

Challenge Begins February 1st and Ends on the 1st of March 2018!

The Winner will receive (Supplied by FoamyDM):
  • Bragging Rights!
  • A Trophy
  • Full Size Printed Plans*
  • Full Size color Skin Plan Print*
*plans must be supplied by the winner.

Good Luck FT Community, and Happy Building!

-FoamyDM

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I love the idea! I've found keeping a build list of future and past projects and notes to be very helpful and cathartic :) If anyone's curious, the link to my list is in my signature.

The build pace of a month for this challenge is a little fast for me right now. I have one giant scale restoration project I'm preparing for maiden flight in the next week or so, and two plane projects (one huge 100" wingspan and one heavily customized balsa kit) already committed to other challenges that are not going to be quick.

But I'll be eagerly following and cheering everyone along on this!

FoamyDM

Entry Listing

Reserved for Build List:

Entry 1:
FTFC: FT-Build-ruary by FoamyDM
FoamyDM Skills: (Build Skill: 4 Skilled, Pilot SKill: 2 Novice)
(1) FT-X-29 GreenCheck2.JPG
(2) Bloody WWII Baby! - Bloody Vampire V2, by FoamyDM 30mm EDF GreenCheck2.JPG
(3) Bloody WWII Baby! - Kraftei(Komet) GreenCheck2.JPG
(4) FTFC - WWII Design & Build: Flying Pancake, by SPONZ and Local Fiend
(5) BLoody Black Widow - A.B.E.

Entry 2:
FTFC-FT-Build-ruary-by-DamoRC
DamoRC Skills: (Build Skill: Mixed (2-4), Pilot SKill: Mixed (2-4))
(1) Bloody Baron GreenCheck2.JPG GreenCheck2.JPG
(2) Mini Arrow GreenCheck2.JPG
(3) Aviation Design's Diamond
(4) C-130
(5) Tiny Trainer GreenCheck2.JPG

Entry 3 SGradcap.JPG
FTFC: FT-Build-Ruary by Foam Test - The Prototypes
Foam Test Skills: (Build skill: Mixed 1-3 Pilot Skill: Mixed 1-3)

1. The Discovery V2 GreenCheck2.JPG
2. Bloody Mustang GreenCheck2.JPG
3. Micro Motor Glider (Still in design phase)
4. Micro FT Flyer (also in design phase)

Entry 4 SGradcap.JPG
FTFC-Build-Ruary-by Daniel Kezar - The B pack*
Daniel Kezar Skils: (Build Skill: 2, Pilot skill level 2)

Planes to build:
1. FT Simple Scout GreenCheck2.JPG
2. FT Simple Cub
3. FT OLd Fogey/Old Timer:
4. FT Versa Wing GreenCheck2.JPG

Bonus:
FT Baby Blender (if I can get the plans to work. the link is broken currently)

*FoamyDM took liberties with title here - Dan I hope you don't mind.
SGradcap.JPG =Student

Attachments

• Gradcap.JPG
    Gradcap.JPG
    10.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

FoamyDM

I love the idea! I've found keeping a build list of future and past projects and notes to be very helpful and cathartic :) If anyone's curious, the link to my list is in my signature.

The build pace of a month for this challenge is a little fast for me right now. I have one giant scale restoration project I'm preparing for maiden flight in the next week or so, and two plane projects (one huge 100" wingspan and one heavily customized balsa kit) already committed to other challenges that are not going to be quick.

But I'll be eagerly following and cheering everyone along on this!

I understand.

The goal is to put together some of these faster fun builds that we've put off in favor of larger more complex ones. That way there are always a few fun throw-in-the-back-of-the-car models ready (light the Bloody Lightning right now) or the Micro F-22 I'll be finishing up tonight.

I hope this comes together *crosses fingers*

FoamyDM

Getting my plans ready!

Anyone else willing to pick up this challenge?

localfiend

I like 3D printers...
Mentor
Getting my plans ready!

Anyone else willing to pick up this challenge?

I wish I had time. Maybe I should try it and see how many I can get done. Got a bunch of my own planes that need proper build logs. Maybe that could be a challenge. Finish one of your old forgotten designs and make it ready for the community. :black_eyed:

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I wish I had time. Maybe I should try it and see how many I can get done. Got a bunch of my own planes that need proper build logs. Maybe that could be a challenge. Finish one of your old forgotten designs and make it ready for the community. :black_eyed:

In the same boat as localfiend. I am also going to be away for a week with work, making the shortest month of the year even shorter!

But as they say, nothing ventured nothing gained. I have a couple of quick builds and a couple of not so quick builds on my plate and I'd hate to leave FoamyDM hangin' .

DamoRC

FoamyDM

In the same boat as localfiend. I am also going to be away for a week with work, making the shortest month of the year even shorter!

But as they say, nothing ventured nothing gained. I have a couple of quick builds and a couple of not so quick builds on my plate and I'd hate to leave FoamyDM hangin' .

DamoRC
That's the Spirit DamoRC - Bring it On! (that's how my list is too: two easy, two much Harder.)

@ Localfiend - Let's do it! - What're you bringing?
BTW - Built the mm F-22 - build was so simple. 1 of my only 2 - 1.7g Servos Stripped out and I'm stuck. Will this fly with 5g's? can't wait to fly it. I have a STEM event next weekend I wanted to get it going for.

I like that Idea too. :applause: Let's Call It:
March Madness! - Complete a build log you started I'm signing up for my VF-9 transforming Veritech fighter-jet. I'll start it if you help!

My thought is the fun and effort with the completed planes, or four, to show for it, is worth it compared to the nothing i would have otherwise. Who knows, maybe everyone else will be in the same boat, and the scoring will be tight. :)

Anyway I can't wait.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Okay - I'll bite.

FTFC: FT-Build-ruary by DamoRC - The Replacements Edition
(Build Skill: Mixed (2-4), Pilot SKill: Mixed (2-4)
(1) Bloody Baron
(2) Mini Arrow
(4) C-130

DamoRC

FoamyDM

New Entry Added!

Okay - I'll bite.

FTFC: FT-Build-ruary by DamoRC - The Replacements Edition
(Build Skill: Mixed (2-4), Pilot SKill: Mixed (2-4)
(1) Bloody Baron
(2) Mini Arrow
(4) C-130

DamoRC

Added! Welcome aboard, and best of luck to you! :applause:

Side/personal Note:
Seeing the mini arrow on your list reminds me about mine. My Mini Arrow is held together with Strapping And has seen SO many crashes. I was remarking to my son that we need to build another. Maybe I can get my son to join in! An Arrow, Delta, Bravo, and a DR1 triplane? (all planes he's mentioned or enjoyed.):rolleyes:

FoamyDM

FT-Build-Ruary: Young People Welcome! - Rules

Any kids under 17 - two planes, points are doubled.

Come Join the FUN!

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
DOUBLE POINTS!! :eek:Count me in! I just need to figure out what to build then I’ll put in my official post!

FoamyDM

So my thoughts on this were that I really want to encourage our FT-youth here to give it a go, and get building. I know with school and bed times. Time windows shrink. This gets harder once you have a car and responsibilities, and a curfew and hormones.

As a working schmo I can just drink coffee, stay up late And pay for it later. Children generally have fewer options. Or like my son, may be brand spanking new and any plane is a huge challenge. Both the build and fly.

I say that to say this: we are on the honor system. The prize is mostly bragging. So, If you think you can bang out four planes do it as a "grown up". You end up with more flight options next fly season. If you know it will be hard to finish two, go by the youth rules. Just declare up front. And enjoy the challenge!

Remember: The goal is to build fly crash repeat. And have fun engaging this awesome community! :Applause:

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Excellent idea to recruit younger builders!

Tick, tick, tick.....almost starting time!

DamoRC.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Well if I include the one I almost completed I might be able to get four, but with how my car and the weather have been acting I might only be able to get 2 done. Is it okay if I shoot for 4 and if I only get two get scored for my age category? If not that's fine.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I would say go for it. FoamyDM will sort out the scoring. I'm kinda in the same boat, there is almost no chance I'll get all four done. But I'll give it a go.

DamoRC

ps - clicked the mystery link and subbed. Nice work young man!

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Thanks Damo! Make sure to sub to nighthawk gliders as well, we are both small youtubers that need to reach the youtube threshold to start getting ad revenue again. And I hope to do a review on each plane I build this February, but I also might just be building the whole time so the videos might come out in march lol.