February iis FT-Build-ruary Month!

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
Let me first welcome you to the forum here. :applause:
I found it to be a very encouraging creative and supportive group who are excited to see everyone enjoy this mad-cap hobby made popularly accessible by Flite Test here.

All they questions are answered in the first post. I think.

One entry post in the challenge thread. Link it to your challenge build thread detailing your 4(+) builds.
The planes can be whatever your wish, but we need to see the maiden.
Paint is not needed put is 3 points. I think everyone enjoys a colored plane vs. a plane white bird.
Ultimately up to you. A handful of pics showing your progress. And any special details you add is a good.
Either in this FT Challenge group, or mad-scratch builders thread. (as long as you link, it doesn't matter THAT much).

Most importantly - HAVE FUN!

so it can be any ft design? ok cool. will do!

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
ok i have read the instructions and i still have a couple questions. so i have been working on the B.A.T. (backyard airplane trainer) at 150% scale and i started it before february first but i only cut out a few small pieces. half of the fuselage is drawn on a piece of foam board but not cut out. would i still take a 5 point deduction?
oh and does printing out and taping together the plans for something count as starting the build? bc i printed out the simple cub and i printed and taped together the simple scout plans before february 1st.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
I don't think you will be dinged for having the plans printed out already - or if you do, so will I. I re-use the printouts over and over for a lot of my planes.

Jump in and Good Luck!

DamoRC

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
X-29 plans are mounted and ready for cutting.

How about everyone else?

Sorry about the double post.

I am 100% done with the Baron, and 95% done with the Arrow (needs painting). Both of them maidened last weekend (no video but I'm sure I'll get some in before the end of the month). Baron flew great as expected - such a brilliant plane. Arrow was a little tricky to balance. I don't remember this on my last one but it's like the mass of the plane is above the CG marks on the lower surface of the wing so its really unstable to balance. I transferred the CG marks to the upper surface of the wing and it was also difficult to get it to sit in a nice balanced pose (like trying to balance a high wing trainer upside down). Anyway, got her pretty close and she flew fine on 3S and 4S. I thought I would get the build posts updated while I am traveling with work this week but I have not gotten to them yet.

DamoRC

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
I don't think you will be dinged for having the plans printed out already - or if you do, so will I. I re-use the printouts over and over for a lot of my planes.

Jump in and Good Luck!

DamoRC

ok good to know. thank you.
the other thing i need to know is what is my skill level? flying and building. i dont really know what my skill level is.
i have built the ft flyer, ft simple soarer, and ft mini sparrow and they weren't the best so maybe skill level 2?
i have flown mostly on a simulator. i flew the ft flyer for a bit last fall and i felt confident in my skills. i think i am ready for 4 channel so maybe skill level 2 for that as well? ok im going with 2 and 2.
so simple cub is perfect then. i want to minwax it and paint it after for use in the snow and on the water.

what paint is good for use over minwax on the normal white dtfb?

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
so im trying to pick my 4 planes to build.
they all need to be power pack b compatible and handle a 1000mah lipo battery. i wanted to do the explorer but thats 2200 mah min. so nope.
the old fogey says 500mah but that was so long ago and batteries are lighter now so I might do that.

does anyone have any other ideas?

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Ya know the 1000 mah just runs shorter is all.

Scale up a Baby or just go with the Bloody Baron! Versa Wing too.

I have finished cutting out the X-29. Build night tonight!

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate

you think they will work with the b pack? i think i'm going to go with the simple cub, simple scout, 150% B.A.T., and old timer/old fogey.

i haven't done any scaling of ft plans before so i don't know... i'm doing the B.A.T. because its on graph paper with 1/4 inch squares so its easy.

i haven't build a wing yet... is the versa fast? i could do that... i dont like too much speed. do you think i could handle it? also i would need to figure out how to do elevon mixing with the qx7

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
idk why but i'm still confused by this...

so i make a thread for each of my builds in the "mad scratch builders" thread. my build thread will include pictures and links to plans as well as a maiden video at the end and a rating of the challenge of building and flying using the special icons in the first post on here.
then i link those build threads after i create them in my entry and tell the planes im building as well as my name and pilot/builder skill level.

good?

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate

so the versa wing.... if i leave the scale the same and use power pack b, do you think it will fly or will it be floaty? also i only have 9x4.5 props. so like 100g less thrust than normal with the 10x4.5.

other option is scale it down to maybe 80% do you think? with 1000mah lipo. smaller motor and battery and plane so should balance out right?

Last edited:

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
FTFC Build-Ruary Sign Up: Daniel Kezar, flight skill: 2 - build skill: 2

I'm Daniel and I think I'm about skill level 2 for both flying and building.
my build thread: http://forum.flitetest.com/showthre...ersa-Wing-by-Daniel-Kezar&p=387297#post387297

Planes to build:
FT Simple Scout
FT Simple Cub
FT OLd Fogey/Old Timer: https://s3.amazonaws.com/plans.flitetest.com/stonekap/FT Old Fogey details 1of4.pdf
https://s3.amazonaws.com/plans.flitetest.com/stonekap/FT Old Fogey Fuse Plans 2of4.pdf
https://s3.amazonaws.com/plans.flitetest.com/stonekap/FT Old Fogey Wing Plans 4of4.pdf
FT Versa Wing
FT Baby Blender (if I can get the plans to work. the link is broken currently) edit: i was provided plans by a forum member (thanks)

Last edited:

FoamyDM

No worries - you got this Daniel

you think they will work with the b pack? i think i'm going to go with the simple cub, simple scout, 150% B.A.T., and old timer/old fogey.

i haven't done any scaling of ft plans before so i don't know... i'm doing the B.A.T. because its on graph paper with 1/4 inch squares so its easy.

i haven't build a wing yet... is the versa fast? i could do that... i dont like too much speed. do you think i could handle it? also i would need to figure out how to do elevon mixing with the qx7

I have only built the Mini Arrow (as I have an abundance of A and F packs ready from two low budget quad builds destroyed by my infantile soldering, it flies, but slows down just fine. my maiden launch started with CRAZY large throws and wooo-weee. So start a the recommended throws and reflex, you'll do great! Remember a maiden is just proof you got it in the air. that may only be for 4 seconds like mind do:black_eyed:

idk why but i'm still confused by this...

so i make a thread for each of my builds in the "mad scratch builders" thread. my build thread will include pictures and links to plans as well as a maiden video at the end and a rating of the challenge of building and flying using the special icons in the first post on here.
then i link those build threads after i create them in my entry and tell the planes im building as well as my name and pilot/builder skill level.

good?

Take a look at the Entry Threads on how we did ours. I have all four builds in the one thread. that way there is one place to check your progress and route you on. I looked at your thread and it looks good. If you can find example picks to add to the first post so we can picture what your vision is, it's help all here get excited for/with you.
This contest is mainly for "inspiration" and "challenge" and never for stress or anxiety. Four planes in 3 weeks isn't much time, but it is doable - the versa wing should be simple and quick. 2 servos and 2 sheets. You probably have the pod built. The Scout and Cub are specifically design to be approachable builds. the cutting my be your worst part. and the blender looks more complex but looks just fun. Keep at it, you have our support and encouragement here.

so the versa wing.... if i leave the scale the same and use power pack b, do you think it will fly or will it be floaty? also i only have 9x4.5 props. so like 100g less thrust than normal with the 10x4.5.

other option is scale it down to maybe 80% do you think? with 1000mah lipo. smaller motor and battery and plane so should balance out right?

No scaling needed. It's a B size already. The C pack just make it zip fast. Wings are Very Simple. Built as a pusher, you will save a LOT of props. tractor setup and the pod is ready as is. I have 8x4.5's on they B that do just fine, for all b builds.

Entry received you should see it in the entry List Momentarily. Good luck and Enjoy. Remember the worst that could happen is you have planes to fly, just not as many as you thought. :D

Pigfarm1403

Builder
Awwwww..... dang it

Lol I have already built three planes this month but literally none of the were listed. I built a twin boom pusher, a versa wing, and a Nut-ball for fun. These are some great planes though and I will definitely try to build all of them at some point this year. I built the simple Cup before but had some issues with the CG and ruined it. For those who plan on making a simple cub attach the battery to the bottom of the power pod the the CG is lower. My cg was too high and it toppled over in flight at about 5 seconds each time.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
I have only built the Mini Arrow (as I have an abundance of A and F packs ready from two low budget quad builds destroyed by my infantile soldering, it flies, but slows down just fine. my maiden launch started with CRAZY large throws and wooo-weee. So start a the recommended throws and reflex, you'll do great! Remember a maiden is just proof you got it in the air. that may only be for 4 seconds like mind do:black_eyed:

Take a look at the Entry Threads on how we did ours. I have all four builds in the one thread. that way there is one place to check your progress and route you on. I looked at your thread and it looks good. If you can find example picks to add to the first post so we can picture what your vision is, it's help all here get excited for/with you.
This contest is mainly for "inspiration" and "challenge" and never for stress or anxiety. Four planes in 3 weeks isn't much time, but it is doable - the versa wing should be simple and quick. 2 servos and 2 sheets. You probably have the pod built. The Scout and Cub are specifically design to be approachable builds. the cutting my be your worst part. and the blender looks more complex but looks just fun. Keep at it, you have our support and encouragement here.

No scaling needed. It's a B size already. The C pack just make it zip fast. Wings are Very Simple. Built as a pusher, you will save a LOT of props. tractor setup and the pod is ready as is. I have 8x4.5's on they B that do just fine, for all b builds.

Entry received you should see it in the entry List Momentarily. Good luck and Enjoy. Remember the worst that could happen is you have planes to fly, just not as many as you thought. :D

HaHa i love this forum!! thanks for all the help! i was stressing waaayyy too much. (i tend to obsess over stuff)

good to know that the versa is only 2 sheets. i was worried i would run out. i only have.......13 full sheets, 1 almost full, and a bunch of smaller chunks. so like 4 for the cub, 4 for scout, 2 for versa, 2 for fogey, yeah i might have to pick up some more.

do you think I should spend the time to make reusable plans? maybe still keep them to be reused but not stick them to poster board yet. i will just not cut through the paper and instead put holes and marks to tell where to cut.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
Lol I have already built three planes this month but literally none of the were listed. I built a twin boom pusher, a versa wing, and a Nut-ball for fun. These are some great planes though and I will definitely try to build all of them at some point this year. I built the simple Cup before but had some issues with the CG and ruined it. For those who plan on making a simple cub attach the battery to the bottom of the power pod the the CG is lower. My cg was too high and it toppled over in flight at about 5 seconds each time.

thanks for the tips on the cub.

Daniel Kezar

Ultimate Cheap Skate
so i learned that i can use power pack b with the versa wing just fine so i took out the "80%" from my post. i assume since i havent started yet i can change it?

also can i add more planes later if i wish or is the list final?

(PS: thanks for fixing my title and links in the entry post)

FoamyDM

Thank you for the CG advice. I imagine the simple cub is one most will like to try. The advice is always helpful.

If you built them in Feb. Then make and entry post pics and do what you can.

If people want to do it again, I can do this next year with a 3 month lead in, so EVERYONE can be ready. I regret it was a bit short notice, unless you were looking in the right thread (needle, meet haystack). :black_eyed:

I'm glad you build a bunch of planes, either way.

Last edited:

FoamyDM

so i learned that i can use power pack b with the versa wing just fine so i took out the "80%" from my post. i assume since i havent started yet i can change it?

also can i add more planes later if i wish or is the list final?

(PS: thanks for fixing my title and links in the entry post)
You can change it all the way to the end... Life's too short to nitpick

Last edited: