FF TX questions.

donalson

I'm going to FFTX this Nov and have a few questions...

first I'm bringing my 13 y/o son... at this point any flying he does is on a buddy box will he need a full on pilot pass or will a spectator pass suffice?

for camping... will we have access to restrooms, showers, running water etc? I've got a camp stove and want to make sure we're ok on using that?

thanks guys
Mark

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
I would say he should have the full pilot pass and AMA (free under 18). My daughter (12) only buddy boxes and has had the full pass every year.

For camping at the other FFs, there were trailer showers and portajohns. There was no running water.
But I believe the Texas location has a camp ground with option for full RV hook up. But it may be far away and not part of tent camping. Perhaps someone more familiar with apachee pass will chime in on water availability on site.

Camp stoves were fine.

donalson

oh ya the last question I had and forgot about... how do they deal with 72mhz? is there a tag to get like old school days? I have a 72mhz and may have a plane on it for fun... so worth asking about.

A_Bird

I can't speak to how Flite Fest will run it, but I camped there this past weekend for the Apache Pass Ice House Fly-In. There are a couple toilets in an open air metal shed, and showers with hot water in a similar building. (Hope you're not afraid of bugs.) That event had some port-a-pots brought in as well.

There is water; I imagine FF will have this taken care of, but when I got there it wasn't turned on until the next day. Town is just 10 minutes away though, but always good to be prepared. Plenty of electric outlets too.

The site has no restrictions against camp stoves I saw. There are a few fire pits and grills as well, and it has been quite wet here lately so I wouldn't expect a burn ban.

Assuming FF has the camping in the same spot, it's a pretty sweet location. Up next to the San Gabriel river with a couple cool bridges nearby. Lots of big, well trimmed pecan trees and cut grass. Walking distance to the Ice House/Steak House.