FF2017 Int. Racers: Caudron C.460

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I have to say I am impressed with all you guys. Very cool how many different planes you all just jumped on and made happen.

Thanks! It's been a ton of fun learning - and we've all been sharing out our experiences to help the next group of beginning design/build craziness!

So what project are you interested in taking on? And do you want to get a start on it soon, or wait until the next forum community group design effort kicks off - which will probably about 2 days after the next Flite Fest if experience holds true :)

Fidget

Looks great!
How did you figure out the shape of your wing saddle? I used Inkscape for the R3C and estimated based on the length of each fold, but it was way off. For the second version I traced the outline of the first wing and revised it, but it still doesn't sit nicely.
Seems like Sketchup would make that easier, but some folks succeed with Inkscape.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Looks great!
How did you figure out the shape of your wing saddle? I used Inkscape for the R3C and estimated based on the length of each fold, but it was way off. For the second version I traced the outline of the first wing and revised it, but it still doesn't sit nicely.
Seems like Sketchup would make that easier, but some folks succeed with Inkscape.

LOL! I did exactly what you did for my first, and then second wing saddle. :) It doesn't sit as smoothly as I would like, but with a thick bead of hot glue and a little pressure it all closed up. I am very interested in learning a better way too. :)

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
LOL! I did exactly what you did for my first, and then second wing saddle. :) It doesn't sit as smoothly as I would like, but with a thick bead of hot glue and a little pressure it all closed up. I am very interested in learning a better way too. :)

I'm a little surprised y'all haven't gone with a detachable, bolt-on wing for these larger ones.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
So what project are you interested in taking on? And do you want to get a start on it soon, or wait until the next forum community group design effort kicks off - which will probably about 2 days after the next Flite Fest if experience holds true :)

Personally, I'm a little intimidated by the scratch building process. However I expect to get to over that having just cut out my first scratcher (a Mustang).

FPV wing racing has me captivated. Based on my full scale experiences I would expect to be competitive, and so that's my RC goal.

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
I wanted to chime in here and say that I got to see Rockyboy's build in person the other day and it looks great! He and I are in the same club and his build was a hit, even with the old balsa crowd!

Hopefully we get some good weather in the next few weeks and I'll get to see this new version take to the skies! Congrats again on a great build!

Attachments

• IMG_2504.jpeg
    IMG_2504.jpeg
    79 KB · Views: 1

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Thanks!! I'm excited to get the ground dried out and put this up in the air! My new (and bigger) blue spinner just came in so she's all ready!

I was also surprised at how much even the old balsa farts liked this project. I think it was the design & build from scratch aspect that got them. Our current club president even said this was the coolest plane he'd seen come to a meeting in years! (I think he might have skipped a couple meetings, but I'm happy he liked it!)

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
A testament to how we need to get the word out about these airplanes. You have done a bang up job here. I hope we can promote these and get even more community-based designs out there.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Oh that looks really nice in one piece and out in public not on the bench stand. Gives a better perspective on size as well as the detail. I can't wait to see this and the others fly. I think it will be fun when a few of these are in the air and everyone wants to go full tilt on the throttle. Someone needs to film the pilot faces on the first race just for that "EEEK" moment when the pucker factor goes beyond normal ranges.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
I think it will be fun when a few of these are in the air and everyone wants to go full tilt on the throttle. Someone needs to film the pilot faces on the first race just for that "EEEK" moment when the pucker factor goes beyond normal ranges.

That's what you'll see. Mike Tyson (perhaps quoting someone else) liked to say "everyone has a plan until they get hit in the face." I believe you will see a lot of guys get hit in the face at about the same time :cool:

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I'm excited to see all of the different sizes of these in the air together since they are the same scale.

Unless I change my motor out I don't expect to be at the front of the pack from a race perspective - hopefully I can find another pilot willing to build one and hop it up a little :)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I would sooo love to join the building fun. I miss all the model building I used to do. By the time I could get enough money for the materials to get involved this one would be over and the next already in the planning stages.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
@PsyBorg - If you want to tackle building my design, I'll sponsor you for the electronics. I need a good pilot on the team. :)

Last edited:

abieex

Mentor
I think many of us here on the forums would love to do these kinds of design/builds. The barrier for most of us is not time or desire but computer skills. The process is very daunting for me and I always thought I was fairly bright! I could build you a 12 story building but please don't ask me to scan and email a page to you. lol........guess I'll have to sit and watch.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I think many of us here on the forums would love to do these kinds of design/builds. The barrier for most of us is not time or desire but computer skills. The process is very daunting for me and I always thought I was fairly bright! I could build you a 12 story building but please don't ask me to scan and email a page to you. lol........guess I'll have to sit and watch.

I won't say it's easy to get into the computer stuff, but there are people and resources here to help. The two main ones I used to get this design underway were from Nerdnic and Localfield here on the forums:

http://www.flitetest.com/articles/part-1-how-to-design-dtfb-planes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNqsVpFyuQ8

They use different programs, but honestly the computer interaction is only half the work here. The process of how to conceptualize the shapes and get something curved and 3 dimensional flattened out is a lot of the fun, and could just as easily be tackled with a drafting board. (I haven't used one of those since junior high before I got a job in architecture.... good times.... :) )

Nerdnic has mentioned he is planning an update to his design video series using a different CAD software this year. I'm looking forward to that too :)

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ

Oh NO! Don't just sit and watch. Build one of these designs and come crash... I mean.. Race with us! :D

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Plans v12 is released, and updated on the 1st post too.

Changes from v11 include;
- corrected firewall size
- alignment lines for the fuselage doublers
- improved horizontal stabilizer saddle
- tab/slot alignment to keep the horizontal stabilizer in the right place on the fuse.
- Pilot name updated to French WWI ace and test pilot Raymond Delmotte who flew the Caudron C.460 to a new land speed record on December 25, 1934

Caudron C.460 Plans & Skins v12 ZIP

In the file there are 4 PDF files that can be sent to Staples for "engineering prints" on ArchE sized paper - 36"x48". Also included are SVG versions of those files in case someone wants to make some edits or convert them for laser / CNC cutting.

I haven't got this version out for a maiden flight yet, but it's coming in at 34 oz AUW, spinning a 11x4.7 with a Keda TR2837/14 1070kv putting out an estimated 37oz of thrust. Should make it go up, not down. :)

Last edited: