FF2017-Int-Racers: Laird Super Solution

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
My Entry will be the 1930 Laird Super Solution .

Laird Super solution 1930 aircraft.jpg

My Super Solution

Snapshot 1 (11-20-2016 5-47 PM).png

Laird Super Solution Build Video

Tim

Updated Plans. Vrs. 2.1

Attachments

• Super Solution Tail.pdf
    25.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Super Solution Wings.pdf
    25 KB · Views: 49
  • Super Solution wheel pants C.pdf
    22.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Super Solution fuselage C.pdf
    6.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Yeah, the double layered foam does tend to get heavier than you'd expect. I still like double layering the foam for aerodynamic and durability purposes, but if you need to move the CG forward, eliminating the second (usually not necessary) layer of foam in the tail does help.

Aside from that, The build looks promising. I was going to do the SS as I love biplanes, but Chief Oshkosh has the local history value, and I'm helping to restore the plane that Chief was converted into (Buster.)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
My doubled up tail surfaces also surprised me with the weight - my next prototype is still going to have the doubled tail, but I'm planning to peel all the paper first and sparingly use white gorilla glue instead of hot glue to try and counter the weight gain.

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Yeah, the double layered foam does tend to get heavier than you'd expect. I still like double layering the foam for aerodynamic and durability purposes, but if you need to move the CG forward, eliminating the second (usually not necessary) layer of foam in the tail does help.

I also added a "hidden" control arm and brace for the elevators that is way over-kill, but I know it works. It keeps things more streamlined.

Aside from that, The build looks promising. I was going to do the SS as I love biplanes, but Chief Oshkosh has the local history value, and I'm helping to restore the plane that Chief was converted into (Buster.)

That is really cool! You should post some photos on your build thread.

Tim

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
My doubled up tail surfaces also surprised me with the weight - my next prototype is still going to have the doubled tail, but I'm planning to peel all the paper first and sparingly use white gorilla glue instead of hot glue to try and counter the weight gain.

I did peal off the paper on the insides. If you get the chance, weigh it and let me know what the difference is.

Tim

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
That is really cool! You should post some photos on your build thread.

I certainly will be. Hopefully I'll be able to work on the plans for a Beta build this weekend. I've been super busy with school and the Marching Band season, so I've not really got any work done on it.

Tench745

Master member
If you're willing to try/buy another adhesive, super77 works great for sticking two profiles together like this. Works on paper or bare foam.

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
If you're willing to try/buy another adhesive, super77 works great for sticking two profiles together like this. Works on paper or bare foam.

That's a good idea. I have found out that it has to be a light coat or it will melt the foam.

Tim

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor

Doh! I should have thought of that sooner - I use it to stick paper decals on foam already. Don't know where my head was. :confused:

HilldaFlyer

I did peal off the paper on the insides. If you get the chance, weigh it and let me know what the difference is.
Tim

In general, the paper weighs as much as the foam. Removing paper from both sides will reduce the weight by 50%, and 25% if only one side is removed.

I've found that two layers of foam with all paper removed and bonded with Gorilla Glue is a lot stronger than one layer of foam. The next time I glue two layers together, I'll weigh it so I know how much the Gorilla Glue adds. I use a playing card to smear the glue around and then squeegee off all excess from both surfaces and then align them glue side to glue side, press firmly weigh down and let cure.

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Version 1 of wing panel on left, Version 2 leading edge on right.

Super Solution 8.JPG

End view of version 1.

Super Solution 9.JPG

End view of version 2..... much better profile.

Super Solution 10.JPG

Now to make adjustments to the plans and reprint the wings.