Me209V1_1.jpg

Designer: Willy Messerschmitt
First flight: 1 August 1938
Number built: 4

Full scale wingspan: 7.8 m (25 ft 7 in)
1/6 scale wingspan: 1.3 m (51.18“)

me209bild.jpg

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia:
The first Messerschmitt Me 209 was a single-engine racing aircraft which was designed for and succeeded at breaking speed records. This Me 209 was a completely new aircraft whose designation was used by Messerschmitt as a propaganda tool. Although the aircraft was designed only to break speed records, it was hoped that its name would associate it with the Bf 109 already in combat service. The designation Me 209 was given for propaganda purposes to cause confusion with the Messerschmitt Bf 109, the Luftwaffe's primary fighter throughout World War II. It was later reused for the actual proposed successor to the Bf 109.
Read the full article.

Me209V1.png

Last edited:

Revere

I like all these old racers popping up lately, the bugatti and now this, next we need a Caudron c450 or c460, get some pylon races going on. It's good to see some pretty planes that aren't warbirds. :cool:

I have a feeling though that you'll need to increase elevator area, or use the entire surface to have adequate authority. The elevator control surfaces on the plans look a little too little, especially if you run a beefy setup.

Last edited:

Corbarrad

I happen to have a magazine somewhere that has some scale documentation on that plane. Message me if you want me to start digging.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Great to see another blue plane in the race! (I'm working on the Caudron C.460 which was only painted that deep blue too)

The Me209 seems to be very stubby compared to many of the racers of the 30's. Wonder how that will effect the control surface size needs and handling... so many exciting things to learn and try!

Also, I hope you don't mind but I'm going to try and steal your excellent top hatch design from the Rascal Racer for my Caudron. I love how easy it is to access all the equipment on that design.

Thanks!

HilldaFlyer

Also, I hope you don't mind but I'm going to try and steal your excellent top hatch design from the Rascal Racer for my Caudron. I love how easy it is to access all the equipment on that design.

May I ask about the excellent top hatch design? I'm looking to do one and need some ideas.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
May I ask about the excellent top hatch design? I'm looking to do one and need some ideas.

Ninsei has some great pictures on his Rascal Racer article that show the hatch opened up

http://flitetest.com/articles/ap-rascal-racer-700-mm-27-56-in

Basically the entire top of the plane is held on with three simple plywood hooks. Forward motion keeps it held in place in flight, and it's simple to slide it all forward and off to get inside. Also, on a stiff nose-in landing, it's very impressive to have the entire top of the plane bounce off separately! :)

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
… I have a feeling though that you'll need to increase elevator area, or use the entire surface to have adequate authority. The elevator control surfaces on the plans look a little too little, especially if you run a beefy setup.

Thank you for the hint! I will see how it works.

I happen to have a magazine somewhere that has some scale documentation on that plane. Message me if you want me to start digging.

That would be fantastic! The message is sent! Thank you!

… Also, I hope you don't mind but I'm going to try and steal your excellent top hatch design from the Rascal Racer for my Caudron. I love how easy it is to access all the equipment on that design. ...

I don't mind. Thank you! I would like to see other designs with this HatchHookLock. ;)
Are you satisfied with your Rascal? Do you have any suggestions for it?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I don't mind. Thank you! I would like to see other designs with this HatchHookLock. ;)
Are you satisfied with your Rascal? Do you have any suggestions for it?

I like the Rascal - especially the construction techniques - but I don't like the swap meet motor I put into it. And of course I glued in the firewall and it will be a huge pain to switch motors, but I'm probably going to do that. The motor problem I'm having is the ^#&^ built in prop saver has an angled face against the props instead of a perfectly flat face. And I keep having the props start wiggling and fly off every time I try to power it up with a 3s battery.

The props stay on just fine with a 2s, but that just doesn't give me enough speed - she is always at the edge of stalling even at max throttle. Should have went with a bigger motor that had a standard prop mount and spinner, but I went with something cheap and on hand instead. Oops! :)

Last edited:

AircPirateNinsei

airc-pirates.com
Yesterday the ordered magazine arrived. It contains the recordplane Messerschmitt Me 209 with highly detailed scale drawings, an explanation of types and history, background and historical photographs - a must have for my project! Thanks again to Corbarrad for the hint!

Me_209_se.JPG

Now i can start! :)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Very very cool! I will pass for now as I have way more projects in queue than I can handle already. :)

Thank you!