FF23 ☆Classified Mission☆ DRT

FishbonesAir

Attention: B-25 commander, Army Air Corp
Sensitivity: Top Secret
Date: 20 February 1942

Thank you to you and your crew for volunteering. We want to reiterate that this mission is considered extremely hazardous. You may still withdraw, no questions asked.

Orders: Proceed with crew by train to Eglin Army Air Force base by 1 March 1942 for mission training. Your aircraft will be sent to the base after modification.

Signed Lieutenant Colonel James H. Doolittle

Okay, so I'm proposing we do a Doolittle raid at Flitefest 2023. I'm hoping the Flite Test guys will get in on this too.

The B-25, scaled to 1/24th scale, has a wingspan of 858mm which is just under 34". The twin engine Mini Guinea has a 35" wingspan...

A scale USS Hornet would be about 11' edit: 34' long, and 4.5' wide. For simplicity and pilot sanity, it might make sense if our mock carrier was 12x6 edit: 32x6. The extra width would make deck handling much easier, and after the raid, attendees could attempt carrier landings!

I'm not actually thinking of a floating Hornet, but rather a profile job made of foam or wood or something? 🤔

I'm new to foam aircraft, but built with balsa for a long time. That said, anyone care to tackle creating a foamy B-25? Could use similar motor as mini guinea, definitely needs a bomb bay! 💣

Okay, floor is open for discussion and planning!

Last edited:

Yankee2003

Thank you to you and your crew for volunteering. We want to reiterate that this mission is considered extremely hazardous. You may still withdraw, no questions asked.

Orders: Proceed with crew by train to Eglin Army Air Force base by 1 March 1942 for mission training. Your aircraft will be sent to the base after modification.

Okay, so I'm proposing we do a Doolittle raid at Flitefest 2023. I'm hoping the Flite Test guys will get in on this too.

The B-25, scaled to 1/24th scale, has a wingspan of 858mm which is just under 34". The twin engine Mini Guinea has a 35" wingspan...

A scale USS Hornet would be about 11' long, and 4.5' wide. For simplicity and pilot sanity, it might make sense if our mock carrier was 12x6. The extra width would make deck handling much easier, and after the raid, attendees could attempt carrier landings!

I'm not actually thinking of a floating Hornet, but rather a profile job made of foam or wood or something? 🤔

I'm new to foam aircraft, but built with balsa for a long time. That said, anyone care to tackle creating a foamy B-25? Could use similar motor as mini guinea, definitely needs a bomb bay! 💣

Scratch build B25s, a lot of them…..sounds amazing, and intimidating. The wing alone.😬

FishbonesAir

Alright, I read this to my son who will likely be coming to Flitefest also, and his immediate suggestion for safe, efficient "bombs" was Nerf darts.

Definitely something to keep in mind.

FishbonesAir

Scratch build B25s, a lot of them…..sounds amazing, and intimidating. The wing alone.😬

Yah, it's a gull wing, so not the easiest. I would definitely do the wing as one piece, and attach engine pods, rather than trying to attach tips through a pod. If that makes any sense.
For strength I'd pass wing through the fuselage too.

Ligbaer

50 Percenter
I really like the sound of this. I Think miniacrc’s b25 would be a good option. I wouldn’t mind taking a stab at a simpler, easier to build mini b25 though.
I have a terrible case of squirrel so If I don’t end up designing on I’m apologizing in advance

Yankee2003

I really like the sound of this. I Think miniacrc’s b25 would be a good option. I wouldn’t mind taking a stab at a simpler, easier to build mini b25 though.
I have a terrible case of squirrel so If I don’t end up designing on I’m apologizing in advance

The miniarc B25 looks amazing…do you know the dimensions of it?

FishbonesAir

I like the idea, but the Doolittle raiders' plan was to land at a Chines airfield.

Just in general, not the Raider group. I mean, historically, only the plane that went to Russia wasn't totalled. Doolittle thought he was going to face court marshal for losing all his aircraft.

But after we do our thing, everyone with a mini could start takeoffs and landings.

FishbonesAir

Ligbaer

50 Percenter
Ive done some plans for a simple b25 ive formatted them for arch d so i think you can get them printed at fedex. Its about 1 and a half sheets and uses a kf airfoil im a bit heisitant to upload until i know there my best work but if anyone wants to help me prototype i will pm you the plans

FishbonesAir

Ive done some plans for a simple b25 ive formatted them for arch d so i think you can get them printed at fedex. Its about 1 and a half sheets and uses a kf airfoil im a bit heisitant to upload until i know there my best work but if anyone wants to help me prototype i will pm you the plans

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob

A scale USS Hornet would be about 11' long, and 4.5' wide. For simplicity and pilot sanity, it might make sense if our mock carrier was 12x6. The extra width would make deck handling much easier, and after the raid, attendees could attempt carrier landings!

Scales had me off... now I get it.. I have thought similarly myself.
It might be funn to have a 4-tracked Rover in the beans with a landing deck for a simpler type of fun. Think Mower wheels with a Carrier top. or a hoverboard with AT wheels... ok, I'll stop. before I get in deeper than I have time for.

Aviator08

Flagstaff,AZ
Here is ManiacRC's B-25 and an 8' one that I blew up from ManiacRC's plans. Both fly well.

B-25 1.jpg

FishbonesAir

Okay, I live in Colorado, but I swear I wasn't smoke'n the Devil's Lettuce when I calculated the length of Hornet! It ought to have been 34', not 11'. I corrected that in the lead message, though I made it 32' feet, for the simple fact that plywood and foam sheets are 8' and it would be easiest to simply use four sheets end to end to represent a carrier. Or, as someone had already suggested, painting lines on a runway, and adding a nice towering island above that.

Dave