FF23 ☆Classified Mission☆ DRT

quorneng

Master member
To be exact when training for the raid they did indeed mark the available Hornet deck space on a runway to find out what was possible so it would be 'scale' to it

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Okay, I live in Colorado, but I swear I wasn't smoke'n the Devil's Lettuce when I calculated the length of Hornet! It ought to have been 34', not 11'. I corrected that in the lead message, though I made it 32' feet, for the simple fact that plywood and foam sheets are 8' and it would be easiest to simply use four sheets end to end to represent a carrier. Or, as someone had already suggested, painting lines on a runway, and adding a nice towering island above that.

Dave
That's what I was thinking. then the the deck will be 4' wide, and it woud lt would be easy to make a 16" side board.

FishbonesAir

Wahoo!!! Okay, gonna get me one!

Edit: Or... maybe not anytime soon. Adding up the cost, with two batteries and shipping comes to $272-$321, depending on which motors and batteries. I had to scrape to buy my Mini Guinea and power pack. o_O Gonna be awhile until I can save up that much.

Last edited:

Piotrsko

Master member
Um they didn't use the whole deck for takeoff, had to put the planes somewhere and they didn't fit the elevators or hangar deck. Doolittle was concerned half didnt have enough deck to accelerate to speed so they gutted everything that wasn't absolutely required and loaded a smaller bomb load. Doolittle was also concerned the carrier would get spotted with bombers on it. Good read about problem solving

FishbonesAir

Speaking of problem solving, I think I have a Carrier idea. During my last crashing flying session, there was a guy in the parking lot with a long flatbed trailer... Kinda like this one:
IMG_4455.jpg

A flatbed would make a lovely carrier, especially if anyone has one we can borrow? Just dress it up a bit, add on the island, maybe some foam or cardboard sides to make it look more the part.

What yah think?

FishbonesAir

I plan to build the flite test b-25 if they release the plans to ftca members.
I'm pretty sure that they will, though I don't know when.

I recently downloaded Vincent Unrau B-25 plans. My son also gave me some Styrofoam to experiment on with a hotwire. I just need to pick something. 😆

Piotrsko

Master member
The one in the picture is probably scale. Make em take off towards the front, the step rips off the landing gear if it isn't flying by then. I like it.

Is this still planed to take place this year at flite fest. Also, it might be easyer to mark an aircraft carrier deck on the ground, and possibly add a island, rather than build a whole USS Hornet.

FishbonesAir

Is this still planed to take place this year at flite fest. Also, it might be easyer to mark an aircraft carrier deck on the ground, and possibly add a island, rather than build a whole USS Hornet.
It is my hope that this will happen. I'm thinking Saturday, as the original Raid was on Saturday, but we'll stay flexible.

Current plan is to tape off a Carrier, and build a island on site. Due to medical issues, I won't be able to drive out, so flying is my only option.

I have one other Carrier idea up my sleeve, but I'll have to explore it after arrival.

Family issues really messed with my build schedule, but I'm hoping to have my Mitchell done. I'm hoping we'll have 16 Mitchell's. If not, I could probably throw warpaint on my Mini Guinea too, and scare up another pilot. 😁

FishbonesAir

It is my hope that this will happen. I'm thinking Saturday, as the original Raid was on Saturday, but we'll stay flexible.

Current plan is to tape off a Carrier, and build a island on site. Due to medical issues, I won't be able to drive out, so flying is my only option.

I have one other Carrier idea up my sleeve, but I'll have to explore it after arrival.

Family issues really messed with my build schedule, but I'm hoping to have my Mitchell done. I'm hoping we'll have 16 Mitchell's. If not, I could probably throw warpaint on my Mini Guinea too, and scare up another pilot. 😁

FishbonesAir

I should add, those same medical issues are hanging over my head. I have an appointment coming on the 12th, then will know for sure that they're still going to let me travel. 😒

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Take care of your health and family. They come first. But I hope to see this idea. The flatbread trailer is a great idea.