FF6 for Bixler

bonfirey2k6

What's up folks,

I used to fly about 10 years ago but just got out of the habit, short of time. I am wanting to get back into it. I still have all my gear and was wondering is a Futaba FF6 outdated now. I am thinking of getting the Bixler from Hobbyking, to start off with and then progress back to my engine models. From what I can see the FF6 may not work with the Bixler ARF version. Not sure if the 35mhz FF6 transmitter is good enough as they are all 2.4ghz now. Can anybody confirm if it would work? Could I just swap the supplied receiver with my own receivers? Will the connectors supplied with the Bixler connect to my older receiver? I know there are cheap radio sets on the website but would rather use my existing transmitter but not sure if the Bixler hardware will suit my radio.

Cheers for any help that could be given, my knowledge is definitly outdated.

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
Hello bonfirey, welcome to the forum !

the short answer:

nowadays 2.4Ghz are so cheap - 25 dollars for Tx+Rx - dont think it worth the effort to make your old transmitter to work with the Bixler. Maybe if you have more faith on your equipment than the entry lvl 2.4ghz you can try it later, but i would suggest you keep it simple as you are getting used to the "new technology".

bonfirey2k6

Thanks KKArioKA,

It might be worth getting a new Tx but was wondering if there was any major changes needed to use my current Tx and Rx. Wasn't sure if I could run the ESC through my existing receiver and if the Lipo would cause any issues as I do not want to use the original NiCads as there would not be enough power. Does the ESC filter the power to the servos so they do not burn out. Or woud I have to use, what I think is called a BEC.

Anyway thanks again.

glydr

How many letters do we ge
Hi Bonfirey,

There would be no trouble running the ESC through your 35Mhz equipment. For a Bixler and similar aircraft (i.e. up to four servos, relatively low power system) you will have no trouble taking power from the flight-pack lipo to your receiver and servos via the ESC.

For flying a glider (i.e. something that could potentially be flown some distance away while thermalling) I would far prefer to use a FF6 than a no-name $25 2.4ghz set. I'm sure that a number of people will chime in and say drop the 35mhz for 2.4ghz, but hey, it still works.

Me? I far prefer 2.4ghz. It took me a while to transfer to 2.4 when it first came in but for general flying I enjoy the excellent link that a decent 2.4 set gives. Having said that I still use 36Mhz for most of my gliders (which are mainly slope gliders).

Just be wary of the nicads in your transmitter. You may need to get a new pack if they have been sitting in your FF6 uncycled for 10 years.

Cheers,

G

bonfirey2k6

Thanks Glydr

I am sure the 2.4ghz are better. That is someting I will invest in down the line. Just not prepared to at the moment. I'll see how I get on first and then when I improve I'll upgrade to a more up to date Tx. It is good to know that it can be done with my existing gear. I hear you on the nicads, they have been sitting for 10 years doing nothing. They charged up fine and seem to work okay but havent tested for signal strength or anything like that. I will get new ones just to be safe. I will crash the Bixler no doubt at some stage but I will be making sure it is not due to a nicad fault. From what I have seen of the Bixler it can take a beating and fly again which is exactly what I am looking for at the moment.

Cheers

KKArioKA

Epoxi Flyer
bonfirey,

you are on the right track, I assumed you were a inexperienced flyer from 10 years back giving a "second start" on flying; but after your conscious post about the bateries, esc and rx voltage i can tell you will adapt in no time with the 10 years technology advancement (i had to pass through that too !!).

as glydr mentioned with the long answer - you can still use your older maybe more reliable radio for bigger planes (more daring flight) and fly 2.4ghz on parkflyers and foamies.

keep posting on your progress :D

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Hey bonfire, I've been using my JR XP652 with my Bixler together with a JR RS600 receiver. They run on 72MHz. The only problem would be the long antenna hanging out of the tail of the plane. I have glitches sometimes, but that is because my Tx runs on the same frequency as a local broadcast TV station.

As glydr says, be careful with old NiCads. I am now using a 2650mAh 3S LiPo in my Tx. I have not charged it above 11.6 volts, though. My Tx does warm up after some flying time.

I'd say, if you want to fly with your old system, It can be done, perfectly fine. Just make sure you do a range test before you fly, and you're good to go.

3S 2650mAh LiPo

IMG_1760.jpg

My Tx & Rx pack

IMG_1265.jpg

RiversDona

I have my own engine. My little birdy.
I have no idea why I have spent this amount of money on an ancient plane from the World War Two. But now I have a plan. I wanna repair it and learn how to fly it.
Wish me luck.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I have my own engine. My little birdy.
I have no idea why I have spent this amount of money on an ancient plane from the World War Two. But now I have a plan. I wanna repair it and learn how to fly it.
Wish me luck.

If you have ANY doubts, ask here! There are plenty of people here who scratchbuild, and some who do fuel engines too!

bonfirey2k6

Thanks guys. I'll keep you posted on how I get on. It will be another few weeks before I finally get my hands on it I'd say.

Thanks colorex, I will do a proper range check and get new batteries just to be sure. There would be nothing worse than an old nicad causing a crash.

bonfirey2k6

Well the Bixler has been ordered. Did it last Thursday. Shipping status from Hong Kong indicates it has been shipped today. It is coming to Ireland so not really sure how long it will take. Only the Bixler kit was available through the european store so I had to get it through the Hong Kong warehouse. I only ordered the Bixler ARF as I am trying cut down on the VAT charge that I will most likely end up having to pay. We'll see, you never know. I will order the other parts closer to home or from the european Hobby King warehouse. Looking forward to getting it anyway. I have no patience however and want it now, lol. ;)

bonfirey2k6

Bixler arrived today. I have to say it looks good. I was well impressed with the delivery time from HobbyKing. Only thing I did notice is that I ordered the ARF. According to the box I received the PNP version of the plane. Only difference I can see between them both is that the ARF already has the fuselage glued. Overall it doesn't matter as glueing the fuselage will be a simple job. Still have a few bits to get but well on the way.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Bixler arrived today. I have to say it looks good. I was well impressed with the delivery time from HobbyKing. Only thing I did notice is that I ordered the ARF. According to the box I received the PNP version of the plane. Only difference I can see between them both is that the ARF already has the fuselage glued. Overall it doesn't matter as glueing the fuselage will be a simple job. Still have a few bits to get but well on the way.

I got the ARF from the Int'l warehouse and it wasn't glued.

Nice to hear you got your plane so fast, I waited a month for mine! You'll be having tons of fun!

What batteries are you going to use? 2200mAh? And what ESC? I use this one from the International Warehouse:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...uddycode=5FB0AF2B-7046-4900-9A7F-AA9421FA7BF4

It works great with the stock Bixler. It warms up just a little bit.

Remember to do the improvements on the plane - covering vulnerable parts with tape, changing the control horns, etc. They are very much worth it.

bonfirey2k6

Cheers colorex, yeah I did the improvements. Put a carbon rod on the underside of the fuselage glued in place with hot glue. The hot glue did not have any affect on the foam. I also put packing tape on the front and underside of the fuselage, along with a few other places that will be under stress.

I do have a couple of questions. What is the best way to attach the wings. The plans say to glue them in place but I would like to be able to remove them. It would be handy for storage and transportation. Has anybody tried methods that enable the wings to be removed?

Also, I attached the tailplane with hot glue. It seems fine and very strong and should be able to handle the stress during flight. I did not really trust the CA for the tailplane. Is hot glue good enough. I used it alot years ago but that was on balsa and ply models.

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
I do have a couple of questions. What is the best way to attach the wings. The plans say to glue them in place but I would like to be able to remove them. It would be handy for storage and transportation. Has anybody tried methods that enable the wings to be removed?

I'm happy with the way my wings are attached. Check it out here:

http://flitetest.com/forum/showthread.php?244-OFFICIAL-Bixler-thread!!!&p=677&viewfull=1#post677

Or just look at these pictures:

I'm using Velcro to strap the wings on. It works excellent if you get it right!

IMG_1570.jpg

IMG_1571.jpg

bonfirey2k6

Thanks Colorex, I will go with the velcro method. I have ordered the rest of the bits needed from Hobbyking over a week ago now. Just waiting on them to arrive.

Dug this out of the garage today. It was a bit dusty but cleaned up okay. I might be interested in trying it out down the line. It is a glow model but was thinking would it be able to be converted to electric. The plane weighs in at about 3kg so I am presuming there are electric motors out there that would do the job. Hurricane.jpg

bonfirey2k6

Received my Hobbyking order today. It took the exact same time as the Bixler. 11 days which is pretty good.

Below is what I received,

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7028

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=17204

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6306 x2

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__11903__Turnigy_nano_tech_1300mah_3S_25_50C_Lipo_Pack.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10414 x2

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=15202 x2

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=4134

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__15205__Hobby_King_30A_ESC_3A_UBEC.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9549__Turnigy_TG9e_9g_1_5kg_0_10sec_Eco_Micro_Servo.html x3

Along with the above I ordered a couple of props that seem to be best for the Bixler from what I can see. Also ordered some shrink cover for the cables after soldering along with some velcro.

They did not have the power supply I wanted in stock when making the order. I thought I might have been able to use an old laptop power supply but connector is slightly different. For now I will charge them of a 12v battery.

I did not order connectors for the ESC to the motor cables. My lack of knowledge showed up there. I should be able to figure somethig out, maybe with standard electricle connectors. Has anybody used DIY connectors to connect the ESC to the motor? If so, what did you use and how did you do it.

Thanks in advance.....:cool:

bonfirey2k6

Finally got the first flight of the Bixler in this evening. It is still in one piece so I suppose it was a success. It handled well but I was definately out of practice. Did a few unintentional loops but it took it well. There was a bit of panic on my side but managed to keep it in the air. Wasn't much of a landing, more of a crash landing. Second flight was better, I had more control of it, a bit of a scary moment at one stage, the wind started pushing it towards a few houses, managed to steer it away. I got control back and put it down. Good fun all the same.