FFE 2019 dates?

JennyC6

Elite member
You could always bring a slimer and coordinate a demo

Depending on how things work out I might be able to do that. IT'd be really nice, though, if it was truly open, in that you could show up with literally any sort of model aircraft you wanted. Glow, gas, electric, turbine, stirling, rubber band, giant scale or garage scale, as long as it was capable of sustained flight and controlled by a radio link it would be fine to fly.

Maybe I'll just wait till next year when Edgewater Airpark is fully operational, because they'll have areas there for fuel-burners to fly in peace. According to the tour vids they'll have enough open area back there for turbine craft, so me putzing around with a couple of Cox motors should be no bigs at all. I'll definitely be more than happy to attend a flitefest if it's reasonably convenient(IE <1day's drive from the Nashville area) and is open to engine powered craft, which should be the case if it's hosted at Edgewater. Also gives me more time to prepare aircraft ahead of time.

but build a FT foamboard electric kit at the event and tear it up in the combats! Lots of people who fly in to the event do this - just bring a radio and some receivers and pickup the foamboard kit and FT power pack there. Lots of people in the build tent (including me) to borrow some hot glue and tools from. And then if you don't want to take the electronics home with you, just gift 'em to some kid running around with their first plane and make their day. :D

Perhaps, perhaps. I've got hot glue/tools of my own, so as far as building them is concerned I'd be fine there 'long as there's somewhere to plug 'em in at. Might be an excuse to do something positively crazy, like use a 540 size 3300kV 1/10 buggy motor to power a small foamboard plane(I always have wanted to build a sleek low-wing prop plane with a motor mounted midships, inspired a bit by the P-39 Aircobra), or put four quad motors on a flying wing, something like that.

Truth be told, the really crazy builds the guys put up on the YT channel are a large part of why I even know of FT at all. I came here because of crazy stuff like that.

Chuppster

Depending on how things work out I might be able to do that. IT'd be really nice, though, if it was truly open, in that you could show up with literally any sort of model aircraft you wanted. Glow, gas, electric, turbine, stirling, rubber band, giant scale or garage scale, as long as it was capable of sustained flight and controlled by a radio link it would be fine to fly.

Maybe I'll just wait till next year when Edgewater Airpark is fully operational, because they'll have areas there for fuel-burners to fly in peace. According to the tour vids they'll have enough open area back there for turbine craft, so me putzing around with a couple of Cox motors should be no bigs at all. I'll definitely be more than happy to attend a flitefest if it's reasonably convenient(IE <1day's drive from the Nashville area) and is open to engine powered craft, which should be the case if it's hosted at Edgewater. Also gives me more time to prepare aircraft ahead of time.

Perhaps, perhaps. I've got hot glue/tools of my own, so as far as building them is concerned I'd be fine there 'long as there's somewhere to plug 'em in at. Might be an excuse to do something positively crazy, like use a 540 size 3300kV 1/10 buggy motor to power a small foamboard plane(I always have wanted to build a sleek low-wing prop plane with a motor mounted midships, inspired a bit by the P-39 Aircobra), or put four quad motors on a flying wing, something like that.

Truth be told, the really crazy builds the guys put up on the YT channel are a large part of why I even know of FT at all. I came here because of crazy stuff like that.

I started with FB and I've picked up 3 glow planes and a gasser (glows are all 4-stroke, 40cc gas Extra) and I can understand your love for things that burn. Have you ever tried putting gobs of power onto a park flier? It's a different kind of thrill than a fuel plane, but let me tell you, infinite vertical at 60mph is a lot of fun!

NerdNic has a P-39 that's on my build list. It's not a beginner's build but it's pretty cool! https://www.nerdnic.com/nnp-39.html

JennyC6

Elite member
I started with FB and I've picked up 3 glow planes and a gasser (glows are all 4-stroke, 40cc gas Extra) and I can understand your love for things that burn. Have you ever tried putting gobs of power onto a park flier? It's a different kind of thrill than a fuel plane, but let me tell you, infinite vertical at 60mph is a lot of fun!

Oh I do that with my surface models all the time. My SC10GT is absolutely undriveably overpowered, to the point it needs a gyro in it to be controllable, and I tried to drive a 1/10 F1 car that's designed for a 25.5t motor on a 10.5t motor. Even my scale truck is kinda nuts. It looks like a beat up, rusted out old 1940s 5-ton farm truck, and it's intended for use with a 35-55 turn brushed motor on nickel batteries. I went and put a 5700kV 4-pole Castle Creations monster in the nose, then slapped two 2s 50c 5000mAh hardpack lipos under it in parallel. Damn thing will pull wheelies and, even with the punch control turned down to just 10%, still shreds axles. Or, at least, it did until I bought it a LESU axle. That thing would pull giant 40% scale warbirds across the tarmac with ease, no joke. Just needs a couple LBs in the bed for traction. Actually, for that matter, it'd probably drag them through the grass to either side of the runway without a care in the world as well.

To some extent, my NexSTAR is a bit overpowered as well. You don't *need* a 0.9:1 thrust/weight ratio on a high-wing trainer, yet that's typically what you get with a NexSTAR using an OS 46AX, which is how mine is set up. 10x5 3-blade prop instaed of the OEM 11x5 2-blade. I almost think I could prophang it/get unlimited vertical if I fed it car fuel or 1/2a fuel on a regular basis...I have done a short 1-2 minute runup on my 20%N 12%O car fuel and my Mk1 Calibrated Earball swears up and down the thing gained 2500-3000RPM on the top end over 15% plane fuel...but that'd stress the conrod pretty hard so doing it more than one run-up is a surefire way to need an overhaul far earlier than it otherwise should.

NerdNic has a P-39 that's on my build list. It's not a beginner's build but it's pretty cool! https://www.nerdnic.com/nnp-39.html
Pretty neat bird there and I'd love to see yours fly when the time comes! But not quite what I'm thinking. It's more a totally custom design inspired by the Aircobra, but also other warbirds. Wings, gear from a Sabre, tail feathers from a Mustang. Kinda a bucket list 1:1 build, where I'd use a Corvette powertrain mounted just behind the pilot's seat to run the thing. Be a whole lot more feasible for me to build it in RC than in real life! Definitely a whole lot less red tape involved.

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
Finding a place to plug in is not the issue....... There is tons of space in the build tents with 4 way plugs at every table setup. The issue is deciding what to build.

JennyC6

Elite member
Finding a place to plug in is not the issue....... There is tons of space in the build tents with 4 way plugs at every table setup. The issue is deciding what to build.

I've got my eye on the LongEZ next, actually. It's super small, super light, will fly nicely on a single 0.049 by the looks of things. And of course flies great on BLDC power. Assuming I A: do go to FFOH 2019 and B: Don't build a LongEZ before then that's probably what I'd go for.

BorisTheSpider

I definitely suggest this -- come up with a ridiculous build of your own and build it there. Last year, I volunteered in the build tents. I got to watch and provide [very minimal] help with a number of amazing builds. Take on something beyond you and the community will gladly jump in to help you get it in the air. Shoot, there were a half dozen kids who spent most of their time in one corner going through mountains of kits. There are doubtless numerous more who would jump at the chance to help out on a big project.

Even if you can't fly ICE (pretty sure it's true), I suggest making the trip if you can. It's a blast!