FFE'18 WWII - Messerschmitt P.1110/II

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
Plans will probably be a horrible mess.
Also I think I will redesign the back too like the front, get rid of the spars because they are really not needed and it will make stuff easier and it will be stronger too.

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
At this rate it could happen within a week but don't hold my word on that.
Actually, I just did a glide test of it since I finished building the engine pod proto!
Keep in mind that parts where literally held together by like 4 dots of hot glue to see how it looks and it has like no structural rigidity.
DSC_7341.JPG
However the tail surfaces stick a bit far out the back so it will look weird with a pusher prop there but as long as it flies, im happy :cool:

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
I re-designed and replaced a few parts and did a final solid assembly of the whole plane!
DSC_7344.JPG
DSC_7345.JPG
DSC_7346.JPG
DSC_7347.JPG
As you can see it's not exactly square but at this point it's good enough, also those small pylons do a big difference!
This airframe will be the first flying one, now I need to work out how to stuff all the electronics in there :rolleyes:

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
Looks really great. I would like to put this on the build list , maybe as an EDF. Will you have plans soon?

DamoRC

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
Well I planned to release the plans after the maiden which was planned for today but weather is bad.
Plans so far don't include any interior structure such as an electronics tray in the front or any EDF duct but they are ready for a pusher version.
I posted the beta plans, you can find them there if you have any question just ask me, I know those can be confusing.

I also edited the first post.

Last edited:

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
IT'S ALIVE!!!!
It flew on the first try, how incredible is that? :cool:
Of course the throws were way too much, the aileron rocking is because I was overcorrecting too much.
I think it needs more power too but im very happy it worked so well on the first try!

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
Thanks you! :D

That means that now I have to work on the EDF version (which is mostly internal stuff in the engine pod)
And also making a proper cardboard version of the canopy, can't leave it like that. Also I will try to modify the servo mounts of the wings a bit to reduce drag a bit, it'a always a good thing.

Anyways im really happy to finally get some results

Edit: im starting work on the EDF version will someone want to beta build it when it comes out? If so you can probably build the plane as it is now since there will be only a few modifications to the engine pod, mostly new internal structure.

Last edited:

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
I did some more work on the retract with some very precious help from my dude Robobob
peak15.jpg
If you remember, my geneva drive system has an "output angle" of 120 degrees so this linkage converts it into a near perfect 90°.
Thos are very obviously inspired by this.
One advantage I could see over more common "stick" retracts is that this one should do very well with side forces and look hella cool :cool:

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
IT'S ALIVE! AGAIN!
As you can see it looks very nice from the ground and doesn't really like rolls, I should mix some rudder when I do a roll next time.
I should also put a proper canopy on it because it's about time :rolleyes:

Bonus pic
historical photo.png
rare photo of a Messerschmitt P.1110/II in flight over germany, May 1945

Last edited:

FAI-F1D

Free Flight Indoorist
First of all, that looks awesome and it definitely flies great

I think it might be a little underpowered. Don't be afraid to put a high powered setup on it at the cost of a little flight time.

What happened at the end is a very typical departure from controlled flight. You had fairly low airspeed entering the roll and stalled out. After that it went past the point of no return into an inverted flat spin. This indicates you need either more vertical stab area, a more forward CG, or both. None of that is surprising since this design is pretty short on vertical tail volume but has massive wing sweep (acts like huge amounts of dihedral at high angles of attack).

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
This one is only powered with a 1000kv motor on 4S with a 8x4 prop so yeah it lacks power, next one will have a 1400kv motor at least.
Also the wings are really thin and don't have much undercambered area so they are kinda prone to stalling but I have yet to do some slow flying testing on it.
I was thinking maybe the spin came from adverse yaw during the roll but I didn't look much into that.

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
I was doing some more test flying today and encountered a problem.
When doing a turn with the plane (very wide turns, nothing hard) it would go into a spin and fall to the ground. The plane wasn't really damaged because it falls rather slowly.
I had my runcam HD pointing toward the back of the plane so both ailerons and the tail are in view, looking at the footage it looks like it's the body and tail warping causing a spin and stall. I looked at it and the body pretty much unglued itself of the wing so it's an easy fix but still something to take into consideration.