FFFFW-Fan Fold Foam Flying Wing

earthsciteach

Here's my first flying wing! Total build time was about 2 hours. Its a testament to the old adage, "If you have a big enough engine, you can make a barn door fly." My "plans" are at the nose-serious back of the envelope stuff!

The whole thing is pretty much encased with a packaging tape exoskeleton. aileron hinges are just packaging tape on top and bottom. Airfoil shape is almost non-existent.

I have 3 flights on it. The cg was too far back on the first one, so it flitted around like a butterfly until the inertia from the prop spun the nut off the threaded shaft. It then fell to Earth like a leaf. No harm done!

The second flight got off to a good start, but I over corrected on launch and hit the ground slightly nose down. It pitched the battery off.

On the third flight, I moved the battery slightly back and she flew like a twitchy fighter! Until, she threw the battery off and fell to the ground like a leaf. Fourth flight is coming up. I've taped the battery solidly down with layers of tape (sure, I have velcro, but why waste it?).

This wing is my combat fighter. She needs an adversary!

DSCF6290.jpg DSCF6291.jpg

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
If I was closer, I'd fight ya!

Mark SEFF on your calendar for 2012, and bring a few of your wings for combat!

earthsciteach

You calling me out, Monkey? You want some of this? Think you can handle this?

Dude, I'm still trying to work out the bugs. Right now, the GROUND is my adversary! LOL!!!

earthsciteach

IT FLIES!!!!!!! CG is too far forward, but it flew! It is HARD to maintain orientation, though. It looks the same upside down and down side up!

earthsciteach

Nope, motor is fine. The rear bearing disintegrated. I replaced it and had a great flight! Too dark now, though. This thing is fun!

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Nice job. I tried putting mine up today but found that ground a little too quickly. The nose just shot up and over in record time and almost safely found its way back to the ground. Now after gluing a winglet back on and reattaching a starboard aileron I need to re configure my CG.

Yours looks nice. Is that first pic before or after your CG reconfig?

earthsciteach

That was after. My first cg location was based upon a method I found online. It was something like 15%-20% of mean wing chord. But it totally discounts the large area in the middle (at least I didn't take it into account). CG is WAY forward of that!

I flew the HECK out of it today! Discovered that it flies equally as well without the winglets (and looks much cooler). I also discovered that, after flying the heck out of it, including flying it into the ground on several occasions, it is easier to start over again than repair. Cost-so cheap its not even worth figuring out! LOVE this wing thing!

jetpackninja

More combat please...
Mentor
We use the FC2812 a lot in this size plane
Get ya some prop savers 3mm an locktite them onto the shaft and the screws that hold 'em in.
I have some adversaries for ya- I've you ever road trip it out west... :)
It would be my pleasure to send you home with a bag full of broken foam ;)

earthsciteach

Well, FlyingMonkey....
I had a GREAT time flying the wing yesterday. But, bravado and gravity got the best of me, as they usually do. What appeared to be a repairable crash turned into, "I'll just start over."

I have started on Rev 2 of my flying wing. It is going to be carved out of a 2" thick block of very inferior foam. I spent a bit of time this evening trying to envision the final product from said block of foam. I also spent a good bit of time trying to remember how to fix the x and y axes to the same scale in excel so that I can print out the airfoil to scale in order to make a template for hot wire cutting. I haven't resolved either.

Once I figure out how to carve it out of the foam, I'll look into how I can give it a strong exoskeleton without adding too much weight. Glassing doesn't seem to work out well on this scale. I really should stop playing around and just build a real airplane. Stupid lack of money.