FFOH19 and AMA pilot registration

Captain Video

Good Morning:
Will Flight Fest prevent non AMA pilots from flying at this event. I have two sons who are students at Ohio State and money for them is at a premium. This is a perk for them when they do well in school. Historically, we have not needed to have AMA registration to fly. I am an AMA member. If they will restrict their participation will a Park Flyer registration be sufficient to fly? If not then we may have tor rethink attending and be very disappointed.

rcbif

The FAQ's say yes. Also, I signed their digital waiver this morning which required it.

Will this be an AMA insured Event?
Yes, it will be necessary for the event to be insured and safe. This will be an AMA event and we will be observing all AMA safety codes during the event. An AMA License will be mandatory for all pilots. This will be checked at registration, where pilot badges will be issued for the event. Current MAAC Canadian Memberships will also be honored. If you haven’t already, you will need to join or renew your AMA license before the event:

b-29er

Even if it wasnt a *requirement*, i would recommend having the coverage. The AMA is probably one of the few major orgs stepping up to the plate to keep rc flying, since the FAA seems to have a hard time separating out an rc plane from a drone. But yes, its a requirement. There are family add-ons as well that make it a bit cheaper if you and your kids want to fly at FFE.

Captain Video

Thanks for the information. Will the "Park Flyer" (less than $40) registration be appropriate for this event or will the full AMA registration ($70) be needed. The AMA website state that it is the site's choice to allow the "Park Flyer" membership holder to participate. Will the Flite Test organizers allow them to fly with the less expensive option? My sons are in college so they are not eligible for the free.

kdobson83

Thanks for the information. Will the "Park Flyer" (less than $40) registration be appropriate for this event or will the full AMA registration ($70) be needed. The AMA website state that it is the site's choice to allow the "Park Flyer" membership holder to participate. Will the Flite Test organizers allow them to fly with the less expensive option? My sons are in college so they are not eligible for the free.
I just joined the AMA last night and got the cheaper "park flyers" membership. I registered via the email they sent me and entered my info. Seemed to go through. I highly doubt they wouldn't let you fly with the cheaper membership. Just follow the rules of slower than 60mph and lighter than 2 pounds and you should be fine.
That 2 pound rule kind of threw me off tho. What's the difference between a 2 pound and 3 pound plane? Almost nothing. Kinda silly if you ask me. Seems like a way for them to try and force you to get the priceyer option...
Anyway, my guess, you'll be fine with the park flyer option.

The membership fee is very reasonable. It's actually a super bargain just for the $2.5 million liability insurance alone. The park flyer membership is capped at $500k liability.

Good Morning:
Will Flight Fest prevent non AMA pilots from flying at this event. I have two sons who are students at Ohio State and money for them is at a premium. This is a perk for them when they do well in school. Historically, we have not needed to have AMA registration to fly. I am an AMA member. If they will restrict their participation will a Park Flyer registration be sufficient to fly? If not then we may have tor rethink attending and be very disappointed.

moret

From the AMA webpage, you can get an "additional family" membership as cheap as the park pilot. That way you do not have the 2 pound or gas motor limit.
  • Age 19-65 - $75
  • 65 & over - $65
  • Under 19 (as of July 1st) - Free
  • Additional family members - $38 Benefits:

moret

I just joined the AMA last night and got the cheaper "park flyers" membership. I registered via the email they sent me and entered my info. Seemed to go through. I highly doubt they wouldn't let you fly with the cheaper membership. Just follow the rules of slower than 60mph and lighter than 2 pounds and you should be fine.
That 2 pound rule kind of threw me off tho. What's the difference between a 2 pound and 3 pound plane? Almost nothing. Kinda silly if you ask me. Seems like a way for them to try and force you to get the priceyer option...
Anyway, my guess, you'll be fine with the park flyer option.

Just a side note, My under 2 pound plane left me one day and its replacement was 36 oz. AMA has a up grade program to go from park pilot to adult for just the different in price not the full membership cost.. I was 3-4 months into my park pilot membership.

Captain Video

I have logged into the AMA website but cannot find the link for add additional family members. Can some help me out?

Captain Video

Bothe of my sons are almost 21(twins and college students) which is why I am looking for the family member link.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Bothe of my sons are almost 21(twins and college students) which is why I am looking for the family member link.
On the PDF application, there is a "family membership" option, for adults (over 19) in the same household. Perhaps the family membership is further along in the online application process.