Field Battery

PhSavatage

1591356587841149081150.jpg
I got this field equipment from a friend and has a 12v battery that is empty. Just wondering if i regular 12v car battery charger would work. Thank you.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
No, don’t use a car battery charger, it’s too much.
Use the lead acid setting on the iMax B6 and many other similar chargers.
In the old days we wall wart, about 1 amp, to change them.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
If you have one of the newer intelligent car chargers then you would probably be ok on the lowest setting. In reality, I'd use the same charger I use to charge my LiPos, but on the correct chemestry setting.

PhSavatage

No, don’t use a car battery charger, it’s too much.
Use the lead acid setting on the iMax B6 and many other similar chargers.
In the old days we wall wart, about 1 amp, to change them.
Since this is a 12v battery, is 12.0V(6p) a correct cell count?
15913651309891289032918.jpg

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Since this is a 12v battery, is 12.0V(6p) a correct cell count?
Yes, that is correct.
You will need to adjust the time limit for the charge. It’s going to take 6-8 hours to charge. The default time limit on most charges is 2 hours. There is nothing wrong with leaving the 2 hr limit, you will just need to restart the changer several times.

Last edited:

PhSavatage

Yes, that is correct.
You will need to adjust the time limit for the charge. It’s going to take 6-8 hours to charge. The default time limit on most charges is 2 hours. There is nothing wrong with leaving the 2 hr limit, you will just need to restart the changer several times.

Currently, the battery has .20V in it. So when I start the charger, it says no battery detected. I'm not sure if works the same with lipo but will charging it using NiMH settings be okay for it? Just to up the voltage a bit, maybe 3V or so? Or is the battery toast?

PhSavatage

Currently, the battery has .20V in it. So when I start the charger, it says no battery detected. I'm not sure if works the same with lipo but will charging it using NiMH settings be okay for it? Just to up the voltage a bit, maybe 3V or so? Or is the battery toast?
The voltage reading is from the built in voltage meter in charger itself.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Not sure about your charger, but some have the ability to ignore the low voltage/cell checks at startup. You may need to do that since it is so low. You may also want to reduce the charge rate to .5A since you are starting with a low battery.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I agree with @LitterBug
If your charger will not ignore the low voltage, use a wall wart, any 12V, 500-1000 mAh will work. Let it charge for about 5,000 mA to get the voltage build up. The formula is mAh x hrs = mA, example 500 mAh x 10 hrs = 5,000 mA. Then put it back on your good charger to finish.

Last edited:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Or is the battery toast?
No way to tell at this time, it's either going to hold a charge or not. You will need to charge it to find out.

I should ask, what is the end game? If you plan to use this battery to field charge lipo's (2200 3S), it's not worth it, it's too small. You are only going get 2 at most 3 charges from this battery.

You need a much larger battery to field charge.

leaded50

Legendary member
A Calcium battery is a still a normal lead acid battery; they are usually sealed maintenance free. Calcium replaces antimony in the plates of the battery to give it some advantages including improved resistance to corrosion, no excessive gassing, less water usage and lower self discharge.
If used in a deep cycle situation it is advisable to use a charger designed for calcium batteries of has a calcium charging mode to get the maximum life out of the battery. Calcium cells need a much higher "stratification" charge from time to time.

A car charger for AMG, Gel batterys or, best is a charger with Calcium settings. Can be used IF charging Ampere isnt used high. . Set as low as possibe . Rule of thumb is 10% of the amp-hour rating of the battery .

Bricks

Master member
I am guessing at that low voltage the battery is toast.

I got rid of mine changed the flight box to an XT60 connector and just use a 3 Cell Lipo a 2200. Will turn a electric starter and run the box a long time, and I always have a 3 Cell around if it does happen to get low.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I am guessing at that low voltage the battery is toast.

I got rid of mine changed the flight box to an XT60 connector and just use a 3 Cell Lipo a 2200. Will turn a electric starter and run the box a long time, and I always have a 3 Cell around if it does happen to get low.

Hey, I revived a battery that was 0.00 this spring. Someone left the dome light on over the winter in the S2000.....

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Is there a manufacture date on the battery? Who knows how long it's been sitting, so it very well could be a junk battery.

I agree with Bricks - a LiPo is a good replacement option. I'm switching my electric starters over to accept LiPo batteries instead of needing to carry a field box, a big car battery, or even the 12v like yours. A 3,500 3S will last all day at the field with plenty of reserve.

PhSavatage

No way to tell at this time, it's either going to hold a charge or not. You will need to charge it to find out.

I should ask, what is the end game? If you plan to use this battery to field charge lipo's (2200 3S), it's not worth it, it's too small. You are only going get 2 at most 3 charges from this battery.

You need a much larger battery to field charge.
Definitely dead, oh well. I was gonna use it for starter, glow, and fuel pump for a gas/nito engine.

PhSavatage

Is there a manufacture date on the battery? Who knows how long it's been sitting, so it very well could be a junk battery.

I agree with Bricks - a LiPo is a good replacement option. I'm switching my electric starters over to accept LiPo batteries instead of needing to carry a field box, a big car battery, or even the 12v like yours. A 3,500 3S will last all day at the field with plenty of reserve.
Not sure how long but probably more than 5 years.