FIELD REPAIRS

L Edge

Master member
When I go to the flying field, I may have one to two experimental aircraft that I am exploring. All my planes are built by the hot glue method and if for some reason or another, damage may occur. The trip back to the house may take 20 to 40 min, so I use to think, what a waste of time.

Then ran across a inverter that converts car battery voltage of up to 13.8 to an output of 115 Volts Ac at 60 Hz that has an output of 100Watts. Now I am able to remove and replace or reglue the part so I can fly again, even in winter. Best return for an orginal investment I ever made.

Mine is a Black and Decker Model PI100AB and was picked up at a Walmart Store. Even melts the high temp glue if you use it.

Inverter.JPG

Reactions: FDS

Captain Video

This is a great glue gun. I have several batteries as I have several of their tools as well. With that being said, it heats up fast, stays hot, and last a long time on the smaller battery. I recommend it highly! 1561574938844.png

Reactions: FDS

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
This is a great glue gun. I have several batteries as I have several of their tools as well. With that being said, it heats up fast, stays hot, and last a long time on the smaller battery. I recommend it highly! View attachment 134572

I've thought about that, but when I priced it out at $69 USD for the gun, battery, and charger (I don't have any Ryobi rechargeable tools) I found it was more than twice as expensive as the corded Dewalt glue gun I'd bought. :( I just can't justify the cost of that to myself or my wife (and normally she tells me, "If it will do the job and hold up, GET THE GOOD TOOLS SO YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY IT AGAIN!").

As for the hot glue guns that run off of lipos:

RMRC Portable Hot Glue Gun - XT60

Hyperion also makes a lipo powered glue gun, but I'm reluctant to post links - every store I've seen either shows it Discontinued or on back order; I'm wondering if it's being phased out.

sprzout

Mentor

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Kudos for the glue guns which work off Lipos. But shouldn't Lipos be used to fly?:unsure:
Yes, I agree, I use my Lipos to fly with. I made a cord, one end hooks to my car battery with alligator clips, the other end has an XT60 to plug into my 12v glue gun. I also carry a 12v soldering iron. I agree, the 12v glue gun & soldering iron are not made for building, they are perfect for field repairs.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
Yes, I agree, I use my Lipos to fly with. I made a cord, one end hooks to my car battery with alligator clips, the other end has an XT60 to plug into my 12v glue gun. I also carry a 12v soldering iron. I agree, the 12v glue gun & soldering iron are not made for building, they are perfect for field repairs.

good thinking. i like the idea of wiring it to your car battery. it is very easy if not careful to over do your Lipo's and drop voltage too low when using the glue gun. there is no safety or low voltage cutoff and if you forget to unplug it, kiss your battery goodbye.

laters,

me :cool:

L Edge

Master member
At least, it now offers options as to ways you can heat the glue to do a temperary fix so you don't have to head home.

sprzout

Mentor
I have one of those and it's lovely. I've bought like 3 others for friends/family because they keep needing to use mine. Hehe. For ~$5 it cannot be beat.

I keep thinking about it, but I just haven't been able to pull the trigger yet; I honestly haven't had a need for it yet. I mean, if I'm at the field and I crash a foamie, it's usually because something went REALLY wrong and that frame isn't going to recover. :)

Brett_N

x2 on the soldering Iron. Guys at my field always laugh when I offer to solder something and do it right there.

slembcke

x2 on the soldering Iron. Guys at my field always laugh when I offer to solder something and do it right there.

Same. I've had several people use mine at the quad club I used to go to regularly. "Augh! I'm going to need to solder that. I guess I'm done for the day." Then I hand them a working soldering iron. :D