Fighting against the DARK SIDE

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I am ashamed to admit it but some, (more than I had ever suspected), Australians are mindless bigots. Recently I had a dispute in the local club which involved the national modelling associations and even the Federal regulator.
I had been using a Smartsafe setup for over three years and finally stopped all radio interference and range issues with my setups. I progressed to being a flight instructor among many other positions including being elected to the local club committee. When the national association introduced flight competency testing it all hit the fan.
The testing rules were rewritten at the local club to exclude Smartsafe operation completely. Of course I objected especially as it was a senior management decree!
I raised the matter with the national association and the federal regulator. During the discussion I raised the fact that I had been working on a safe radio control system and operating method for use by the disabled, (I am a defence Veteran after all). SUDDENLY everything changed and I was given the choice of abandoning the use of Smartsafe altogether, (and with it any radio control system for the disabled), or leave the club. I was forcibly ejected!
Since then I have had a committee member harass and threaten both myself and anyone he sees me associating with and was taken to making false complaints to the local authorities of my flying in a dangerous manner and where flying is prohibited.
This was bad enough and easily countered with facts and the local laws/regulations but now I find there are efforts afoot to prevent my forming a local RC club that allows disabled members to fly in accordance with the federal regulations.
Luckily I still have a few supporters within the club though I am loath to identify any of them and most do not wish to be known, (in case they share my fate), BUT just recently I was informed by a contact within the club that the contact overheard part of a committee members conversation involving other committee members. The statement relayed to me is that, " They do not want Cripples and Retards" flying in their club/s.
"CRIPPLES AND RETARDS"!
Unfortunately the contact did not overhear as to whether that was a local club rule or is it was the person relaying the national association's unwritten rule! RIght now I am somewhat infuriated at the blatant and institutional levels of the discrimination. Even if it is a local club ruling it must reflect in the approval of the rules by the national association/s. What a pack of B'strds!!!
My battle has now been expanded to a national crusade for the rights and rules provided by the federal regulations and raise the matter directly with the local, State, and federal governments. Disabled Veterans received their injury laying down their safety and life for the Australian people and then later to be excluded as either a cripple or retard is DISGUSTING in the extreme!

I will update this thread where there is any change or progress in the battle for equality for all!

Have fun!

Vimana89

Legendary member
That club really seems to have a toxic environment and the outspoken idiots seem to be the ones with the most pull. The petty authoritarianism is one thing, the prejudice against people with disabilities is another layer of trashiness. I can only imagine at how infuriating the situation must be.

I had to totally shut down some random know-it-all on YouTube who seemed cool and helpful up to the point he wanted to fly into verbal insults for something as trivial as me having a different(and arguably more efficient) way of doing Z bends. The discussion had been friendly and civil up until that point, and I was respectful to all involved, and he came out of nowhere on some ego trip and called me an idiot. I hammered him verbally and mocked him for being a toxic bully, destroyed his argument and accusations, and he hasn't been back since.

The difference is, my situation was relatively anonymous, and this guy didn't have any sort of pull or authority. He was just some know-it-all troll. You are dealing with the dynamics of a club structure, where the idiots are in positions of authority. That complicates things, and makes it an uphill battle.

It may seem hopeless sometimes, but if people like that aren't challenged, nothing will change. Best of luck in trying to form a new club and to spread awareness and to promote good principles in the hobby, I know it must be frustrating sometimes, but I know the community on this forum is a good place that's positive and inclusive. Too bad not everyone in the RC world really shares those principles.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
That club really seems to have a toxic environment and the outspoken idiots seem to be the ones with the most pull. The petty authoritarianism is one thing, the prejudice against people with disabilities is another layer of trashiness. I can only imagine at how infuriating the situation must be.

I had to totally shut down some random know-it-all on YouTube who seemed cool and helpful up to the point he wanted to fly into verbal insults for something as trivial as me having a different(and arguably more efficient) way of doing Z bends. The discussion had been friendly and civil up until that point, and I was respectful to all involved, and he came out of nowhere on some ego trip and called me an idiot. I hammered him verbally and mocked him for being a toxic bully, destroyed his argument and accusations, and he hasn't been back since.

The difference is, my situation was relatively anonymous, and this guy didn't have any sort of pull or authority. He was just some know-it-all troll. You are dealing with the dynamics of a club structure, where the idiots are in positions of authority. That complicates things, and makes it an uphill battle.

It may seem hopeless sometimes, but if people like that aren't challenged, nothing will change. Best of luck in trying to form a new club and to spread awareness and to promote good principles in the hobby, I know it must be frustrating sometimes, but I know the community on this forum is a good place that's positive and inclusive. Too bad not everyone in the RC world really shares those principles.
Wisdom is found in the least expected places!

Sadly a while ago I took on a similar person on this forum and things got heated after an insult or two was levelled at me. Anyway I lost being a Mentor and the person concerned later lost his account because he was calling the FT crew effectively idiots who do not even know their own designs.

I just seem to have the ability to find the fools, bullies and bigots wherever I go!

Do not worry though there is a long way to go in this current battle.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
@Hai-Lee Sounds like you are in the same boat I was with Tazman a while back. I dont tolerate bullies either. Did enough of that in grade school. I would seriously walk away from this environment and tell them flat out to back off and stay out of your business or face a discrimination and harassment and defamation lawsuit. Since you have already been in contact with a lawyer maybe have him fire off a cease and desist order to snap them back into reality.

That level of ignorance specially when it comes to Veterans and people with disabilities of any sort does not have a place anywhere as far as I am concerned. To me this is a case of internet tough guy spilling out into the real world and thriving because no one has walked up and punched them in the face for being such a (insert choice of colorful description here) in our now sissified PC world that allows this behavior to run rampant.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Just a progress report in my battle for safe operation being allowed at the local RC club.

The fog has been lifted!
I thought I was battling for my personal safety and fair treatment within the club. Silly me!
What I was fighting was not safety, blind stupidity, ignorance, fools, or bigots! Well I was fighting for safety but the opposition was not!
The real battle was about control. I was not allowing others to control me as they desired and so the rules were written and rewritten over and over until I refused to comply wherein the reason was presented to have me expelled. This was despite of millions of proof documents as well as the demonstration which I undertook and passed easily.
The truth is that I was and am battling a NARCISSIST and his crew of FLYING MONKEYS! As I am trained in electronics and communications with decades of experience in digital radio applications my knowledge and expertise was/is a threat to the position of supremacy assumed by the narcissist. The narcissist must always be supreme and in control of others and so I had to go! At least it took 4 years to accomplish and I can easily afford the court processes to have the Narcissist, and possibly his flying monkeys, declared as a person who is unfit to hold any position of authority or power within a not for profit organisation EVER AGAIN.

Hurry up court processes!

I have been busy and I look forward to going flying SAFELY again!

Have fun!

Keno

Bureaucracy sucks. You are welcome to fly at our field at anytime if you want to adventure to the US we would Love to meet you and see what under that tin hat. We are going through a lot of changes here and hopefully it will not degenerate into into your type o situation.

Bricks

Master member
I thank god for our club as long as you use common sense and do not endager anyone your good to go. We have no power struggles or even arguments everyone is more then willing to help everyone even people that just show up to the field and are not members.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I thank god for our club as long as you use common sense and do not endager anyone your good to go. We have no power struggles or even arguments everyone is more then willing to help everyone even people that just show up to the field and are not members.
I almost envy you!
The local club used to be the same and incorporated with the idea that no unnecessary rules should apply BUT when some people are given the opportunity they grab un-elected positions of power and then their true nature arises.

The club is fractious and consists of a number of unconnected groups that pay homage to the narcissist but call him "Hitler" behind his back. My real crime was knowing more and becoming more popular than the narcissist!

There is no flying for me until the court orders it, simply because it is the only field within a hour of my residence.

Have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Just an update!

I wrote to CASA, (Our version of the FAA), a few months ago and explained that most people are not able to understand the advisory relating to model aircraft and their safe operation as written. I proposed a few changes to the document based upon my training and knowledge which I supported with documentary evidence to allow truly safe operation to be allowed by those who just adhere strictly to the things written in the advisory. CASA wrote and thanked me for my input and has informed me that they are rewriting the advisory.

Believe it or not I was kicked out of the local club for not following the advisory, (the same one that I have supplied information to support the rewriting of). So much for the club dictator's assessment that I know nothing and was teaching unsafe setups.

Also the entire mess is off to mediation and if that fails of course it will be to the Supreme Court to make a decision.

Finally there appears to be light at the end of the ignorance tunnel!

Have fun!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
@Hai-Lee Sadly that ignorance tunnel is LOOOOOOONG and dark. I am not sure there is an actual end mate. If the tunnel does end it probably exits on to Stupidly Boulevard and goes straight to Nutbag Mansion where all this stuff comes from.

I watched one of Bruces video and he seems hopeful that CASA's head may pop from the dark hole its been in and seems to have called a truce with them if thats anything hopeful for you.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Just an other update!

The mediated agreement of course failed. I was tasked with contacting their friend for a test of the setup, (whatever that was supposed to prove considering Spektrum had been publishing its safety since 2007). The only thing the club had to do was to decide if my membership would be automatically accepted if the setup was proven to be and accepted as safe, but the club member who was supposed to enquire and relay the information to me simply failed to do what he agreed to do. Therefore as they broke the mediated agreement and nothing else has changed the matter must be determined by the court!

Matter or application lodged with the Supreme Court and the papers served upon the club and the club ruling elite, (well all accept the club treasurer who suddenly became unreachable after the first person was served with the documents:unsure:).

The next round of documents to be filed will be the detailed affidavit and the almost 50 pages of supporting documents and exhibits. The next round will really shake them up as it includes documents from CASA, (our equivalent of the FAA), as well as Spektrum.

More action to come I am sure!

Have fun!

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
I'm not exactly sure what all of the legal stuff means, but you just have to prove that your operation of model aircraft, which is what Spektrum recommends, is safer right? From what I read I am going to assume that your case will be an easy one, especially if Spektrum recommends it.

flyingkelpie

Elite member
I'm not exactly sure what all of the legal stuff means, but you just have to prove that your operation of model aircraft, which is what Spektrum recommends, is safer right? From what I read I am going to assume that your case will be an easy one, especially if Spektrum recommends it.
The only thing is that there is people who manipulate things from their power. Sadly it sounds like its a someone trying to have a power struggle instead of a logic battle. I feel sorry for @Hai-Lee not having a safe place to fly. Fully understand. At my old school there were things which went on like that too.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
You would think so but the rule maker can't even setup a Spektrum radio properly and so does not trust what all of what the manual states.
The main fool could not even set a stable failsafe on his radio so he got around that my demanding that all transmitters are on first and effectively always.:LOL: It was only very recently that the club wrote a rule that failsafe should be set and tested and the club is in the middle of a built up area and next to a children's playground.:eek:

Too much to rave about but they only accept their own opinions! Oh! If I failed ot mention it previously I started working in digital radio 30 years ago and am trained in electronics and communications including radio control systems and a darn site more leading technologies. I was also a Cisco wireless professional.:giggle::giggle:

Their only qualifications are that they have some experience and of course power within the club:rolleyes:!

Sometimes simple lessons can be very expensive, (especially in the courtroom):oops:.

Watch this space!!!:whistle::sneaky:

flyingkelpie

Elite member
You would think so but the rule maker can't even setup a Spektrum radio properly and so does not trust what all of what the manual states.
The main fool could not even set a stable failsafe on his radio so he got around that my demanding that all transmitters are on first and effectively always.:LOL: It was only very recently that the club wrote a rule that failsafe should be set and tested and the club is in the middle of a built up area and next to a children's playground.:eek:

Too much to rave about but they only accept their own opinions! Oh! If I failed ot mention it previously I started working in digital radio 30 years ago and am trained in electronics and communications including radio control systems and a darn site more leading technologies. I was also a Cisco wireless professional.:giggle::giggle:

Their only qualifications are that they have some experience and of course power within the club:rolleyes:!

Sometimes simple lessons can be very expensive, (especially in the courtroom):oops:.

Watch this space!!!:whistle::sneaky:
The saying "it takes all types to make the world go round" doesn't seem to apply to this situation! ;)

Andrew

G'day Mate
There's always two sides to a story, as a long time modeller I can see a potential problem with some radio systems that could happen if the receiver is turned on first.

Piotrsko

Master member
My experiences going back to motor rudder combos in early escapement systems ( late 60's) show that the electronics will do just about anything they want when you turn them on. That was why you started the radio system BEFORE anything else or why you null memory on startup.

Thanks for the update @Hai-Lee , been wondering how it was going.