Finally! Getting into FPV

Carbon

Elemental Madness
So a freind and I have been saving up for 4-5 months so that we can build a quad copter with an FPV system.
This is what we are going with:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=15295
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=16663
x2http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__11901__Turnigy_nano_tech_1000mah_3S_25_50C_Lipo_Pack.html

plus my GoPro hero2. All I need now is a screen and a cord to connect the gopro to the transmitter.

This is all I need right?

Nonamerc

Arman
yea maybe consider buying fpv gear from foxtech since some guys get fpv systems from hk that dont work. (Also the set that you are buying, foxtech is an great company)

Arman nonamerc

Carbon

Elemental Madness
thanks for the link! I have been looking at screens, and this is the exact size I want! we are trying to make it as portable as possible and the screen is going to be mounted in a case.

lobstermash

Propaganda machine
Mentor
The hobbyking stuff isn't that bad... I haven't come across any bad reviews and my system (900Mhz) works great.

If you're looking for portability, and you're serious about FPV, think carefully about a goggle system. If you can integrate the rx into the goggles, you don't have to set up all your leads and antenna(s). You can just plug the batteries in and fly.

Carbon

Elemental Madness
ultimately, I would love to do that, but we are two kids without money, so our budget is tight for now. I have been working all summer, but can only afford the quad and basic FPV stuff, the rest has to go towards college!

Carbon

Elemental Madness
I bought the gopro a while back in preperation for this. i thik i will go with the foxtech

genious

I bought that kit from HobbyKing. Didn't work out of the box BUT...

Turns out the DIP switch settings are different to what's shown in the manual. In the end I set them to the same positions as each other and it sprang into life. Manuals went in the bin!

Also, the camera I got (also from HK) didn't work first time.

Turned out that the socket on the camera board where the power/video out connect was soldered on the wrong way round. Rather than wait weeks for a replacement I cut some of the socket away with a kife so I could reverse the plug and it worked... well... almost...

I'd read that it needed a 5v supply so I bought a uBEC. Looking more closely at the board I noticed the silkscreen said "12v", By this point I was willing to blow it up, so I wired it straight to a battery.

It didn't break - it worked!

So, look closely at the connections and the silkscreen if you think your HK camera is broken... you might have the same issue as me!

Dan

Nonamerc

Arman
I also run my fpv cam from hobbyking. You can also buy the fh18c camera from foxtechfpv, its a very good camera for day flying. Also its pretty cheap therefore you wont get a programmable camera. The cam is 28 dollar and is really strong (Today I crashed my camera and I fell down a meter from a tree. (You will only need to glue the wires from the back of the camera to the board when you buy it because they are loosely attached)

Arman

Carbon

Elemental Madness
I think I am just going to use the gopro, so I am not worried so much about the camera. I talked to some guys from my local search and rescue team today and told them about my project. I might have some funding on the way!

Nonamerc

Arman
I think I am just going to use the gopro, so I am not worried so much about the camera. I talked to some guys from my local search and rescue team today and told them about my project. I might have some funding on the way!

Sounds cool, we have made some money to with the skywalker + gopro about 150 euros