Finally Happened - Arrow = Lawn Dart

jross

Got snookered the last two nights I tried to fly. Neighbour farmer was out back drinking beer with his buddies and waved me off his field. Fair enough. I drank beer with him instead. His beer. Tried the local MAAC field the next night but the key lock box wouldn't open. No way I was dragging multiple planes and gear a kilometer up a hillside.

Finally made it out today. Farmer was busy fixing his truck. Never noticed me over the terrible country music playing in his shop. Dog died. Wife left. Truck broke. Outa beer.

Took my three favourite planes. My first FT builds and the first planes I flew on my own. Explorer, TT and Arrow.

Things went well. Started with the TT as I often do. Stuffed a 3000 mah 4s in the Explorer. She was a bit sluggish getting into the air but had near unlimited vertical. Surprised me. Funny to see an Explorer go straight up. Probably need an extra set of elastic bands on the wings with that weight and power. Then the Arrow. Just got some new batteries and holy cow! Amazing what a difference new batteries make. The thing is a rocket and for the first time, I ran it wide open for extended periods of time. Made some low smoking passes. Was a bit gusty but I held it together for the most part. Then came the small matter of a fence. Who puts a fence in the middle of a field? Almost cleared it.

20190815_150452.jpg 20190815_150432.jpg

Fence spelled the end of the Arrow. Don't think I can repair it this time. Hard to believe how many times I've said that and resurrected it but alas, I think it's time to splurge on another sheet of foam board, hot glue and tape. Sit down at the bench, make an Arrow and complete my second Spear. Learned a bunch from other forum members and on my own I'm going to put into my new Arrow. Beef it up and tweak it. Can't believe how good it looks considering it hit that fence at near full throttle. Dumped the throttle before impact but it was screaming. One stripped 5 gram servo. Until I noticed the servo and control horn, I was going to give it a toss and see if it flew.

The fun fleet. Love these planes. Gotta lot of expensive planes now but I seem to have the most fun flying these. Just ordered a micro all in one FPV camera for the new Arrow and a vtx for the Explorer and Spear. Just getting started with FPV. Looks like fun.

20190815_150414.jpg

Until I get to the workbench, gonna try and fly this. Weather is so good now I don't want to sit inside. A KFM wing design by @Hai-Lee I built this spring and couldn't make fly. My experience with the Arrow makes me think I can get it airborne. Bet it would have survived that fence hit.

20190815_210237.jpg

Last edited:

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Got snookered the last two nights I tried to fly. Neighbour farmer was out back drinking beer with his buddies and waved me off his field. Fair enough. I drank beer with him instead. His beer. Tried the local MAAC field the next night but the key lock box wouldn't open. No way I was dragging multiple planes and gear a kilometer up a hillside.

Finally made it out today. Farmer was busy fixing his truck. Never noticed me over the terrible country music playing in his shop. Dog died. Wife left. Truck broke. Outa beer.

Took my three favourite planes. My first FT builds and the first planes I flew on my own. Explorer, TT and Arrow.

Things went well. Started with the TT as I often do. Stuffed a 3000 mah 4s in the Explorer. She was a bit sluggish getting into the air but had near unlimited vertical. Surprised me. Funny to see an Explorer go straight up. Probably need an extra set of elastic bands on the wings with that weight and power. Then the Arrow. Just got some new batteries and holy cow! Amazing what a difference new batteries make. The thing is a rocket and for the first time, I ran it wide open for extended periods of time. Made some low smoking passes. Was a bit gusty but I held it together for the most part. Then came the small matter of a fence. Who puts a fence in the middle of a field? Almost cleared it.

View attachment 139597 View attachment 139598

Fence spelled the end of the Arrow. Don't think I can repair it this time. Hard to believe how many times I've said that and resurrected it but alas, I think it's time to splurge on another sheet of foam board, hot glue and tape. Sit down at the bench, make an Arrow and complete my second Spear. Learned a bunch from other forum members and on my own I'm going to put into my new Arrow. Beef it up and tweak it. Can't believe how good it looks considering it hit that fence at near full throttle. Dumped the throttle before impact but it was screaming. One stripped 5 gram servo. Until I noticed the servo and control horn, I was going to give it a toss and see if it flew.

The fun fleet. Love these planes. Gotta lot of expensive planes now but I seem to have the most fun flying these. Just ordered a micro all in one FPV camera for the new Arrow and a vtx for the Explorer and Spear. Just getting started with FPV. Looks like fun.

View attachment 139599

Until I get to the workbench, gonna try and fly this. Weather is so good now I don't want to sit inside. A KFM wing design by @Hai-Lee I built this spring and couldn't make fly. My experience with the Arrow makes me think I can get it airborne. Bet it would have survived that fence hit.

View attachment 139604
Just angle the elevons up slightly (Approx 3mm) as a starting point for the reflex. The actual amount varies slightly with the overall weight but I am sure that you will figure it out!

Have fun!

Brett_N

oh that arrow will fly again no problem.

Mine looks worse than that and it havesn't even flown.

(and yes, I ran out of my regular colored tape choices but this will work for now.)

And no, there is no front hatch cover on mine. I will stick some velcro in there to hold my batteries in. This one will run a 4S 2200mAh. I have a modified battery strap that also flexes the wing togethor at the middle joint - very high tech, but I forgot to take a picture of it last night.

This one turned out a big porky but the whole bottom of the wing at the root-joint is covered with tongue depressors for added strenght. Motor puts out 1Kg+ of thrust though so I'm still in the 2:1 or better range.

Attachments

• 20190814_195933.jpg
    20190814_195933.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20190814_200021.jpg
    20190814_200021.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

jross

oh that arrow will fly again no problem.
Maybe but I doubt it. I could spend an hour fixing it or two hours building a new one. I also used a tongue depressor on the bottom and added a skewer on the top with loads of hot glue and tape.

CMS_1961

CMS_1961
Always fly the fastest plane first!!!!!

When you fly the slow one first, it dulls your reflexes for the fast one!! I was told this a long time ago, when I first started flying RC and it is true and I don't violate the rule cause the first time I did, I re-kitted my plane.

Your Versa can be fixed--until you split the in half--that's when they need too much TLC...like someone said above...at that point just build a new one.