Finding a decent 2, 3, or 4-channel heli for a newb friend

Stryker295

Jember Munior
So I've tinkered around with various different helis that I've picked up at malls, hoppy shops, and one or two attempted built-from-scratch with no design in mind.

My friend has zero experience flying things, and wants to get into the hobby. He's not fond of the idea of a quadcopter, where you have a computer essentially flying it for you (his perspective, not mine), and wants to pick up a entry-level helicopter instead. (He's also the kind of person who refuses to play automatic transmission cars in his racing simulators, etc.)

He was looking at a few small, indoor helis and decided he wanted something with a bit more heft to it, that he could fly around outside but probably not inside. He has also decided he doesn't want to start with a 2-channel; he's really wanting to push and get one that can bank and such, I think that would be a 4-channel, but I think for his sake he should start with a 3-channel if he's gonna refuse a 2-channel.

Since I haven't been in the hobby for a long while, I have no idea what's current anymore, but I love watching Flite Test and have been keeping up with them for ages, so I figured here would be a good place to ask for suggestions! I think his entry-level budget is $50-80 and I'm guesstimating he's going to be willing to put up to $120 for a good 4-channel after he's gotten used to flying the first one.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
If throttle is counted as one of your channels, I'd refuse a 2 channel too :p

In seriousness, I wouldn't trust a larger 2 channel outdoors -- yes it's less to juggle, but there's no way to counter any wind.

Getting a 4 channel stabilized heli (vs. a 3 channel) is not a bad idea, but until he has orientation down, weight will be his enemy -- the heavier it flies the harder it crashes, the pricier the repair.

Until he has 4 channel orientation down, I'd recommend something like a Blade mCX or mCX2. Not wild airframes by any stretch of the imagination , but full 4 channel control. The goal with this airframe would be full orientation control -- get it up and flying and if it stats moving in the wrong direction he can move the correct stick by muscle memory, not by thinking about it.

It's still light enough to bounce with minimal damage. still light enough to crash into things without risk to life or limb. and very controllable -- most of the cheap toy-grade copters you don't fly them, you merely suggest where they go an sometimes they choose to follow your whims. not a good experience as a pilot or for learning. One of these 4-channel stabilized small helis will be a far better learning experience and a better stepping stone to the next step -- a fair sized fixed pitch heli.

Stryker295

Jember Munior
I'll have him take a look at it, last I checked he's not interested in micros but it appears they have larger variations.

KRAR

Some ideas,
If he is just learning I would recommend a coaxial heli, just to just used to orientation... http://www.horizonhobby.com/blade-mcx2-rtf-eflh2400.. do not fly this thing outside when there is wind it will take off.. however it is a great little trainer, I am not against the ones you see in malls, however parts for those can be hard to get..

next would be a 200 srx from horizon, http://www.horizonhobby.com/200-sr-x-rtf-with-safe-reg;-technology-blh2000 it has sfae technology, so if he looses orientation he can push a button and it rights itself as well as a beginner, intermediate and advanced mode... all parts are available and relatively cheap to fix/ crash... This is a fixed pitch heli meaning it will not fly inverted but you can do loops and rolls. - If he has experience on a simulator and is quite proficient at it I would start here...

After that the next step would greatly depend on his flying ability and budget.. the mcpx BL is great little heli but super touchy. after that I would recommend a 450 size heli.

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
The V911 Pro is so easy to learn to fly you just can't go wrong, and it's really cheap to buy, and all the spares are on Banggood for next to nothing.

TEAJR66

Flite is good
Mentor
Same arena as the V911, the Syma F-3. I love that little heli. 4 channel, great performance. Indoor / outdoor flight. No need to mod or upgrade like the V911 (its a little more durable with fewer bad tendancies).

That's just my opinion.

Epitaph

Ebil Filleh Pega-Bat ^.^
Mentor
the only upgrade I did on my V911-pro was to change the flybar for the new paddle one which is a lot better looking and solves (to what I have seen) all the flybar strikes... and I hardly call 30 seconds with a screwdriver a "mod" hehehe