Finding Old RC Planes / Supplies?

FL_Engineer

Elite member
This may be a silly question but is there a special science to locating deals on old / used stuff? I know RC Groups has good stuff pop up if you are quick enough and set watch alerts. My wife almost wrangled be an old Telemaster at a garage sale but someone else beat her to it. Ever since then I've been curious if there are tricks to finding those deals where people are clearing out the garage and selling RC stuff they don't want. I've used OfferUp for other stuff but doesn't seem to be much in my area RC plus the few things I do see people over value. Just looking for any tips or tricks.

Thomas B

RC Groups and Ebay are your best bets. RC Universe used to be a good source, but has died off a fair amount.

Posting a “wanted” ad on RC Groups can often turn up what you are looking for.

RC swap meets, if there are any in your area, are an excellent source. Search for non-flying events on the AMA web site event calendar.

Once in a while stuff will turn up for sale on Craigslist. I know a guy that posts wanted ads on CL for RC estates and RC stuff, but he has to filter out a ton of junk to find some good stuff.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
RC Swap meets, and a lot of the time, being in a club, there will be people who are getting out of the hobby or looking to get rid of stuff. Or, in the case of what's unfortunately happened recently with our club, we've had members pass away and their collection has gone up for auction/sale/giveaways.

There are two hobby shops in the area that hold annual swap meets, and one of the clubs has a swap meet every year at their store. This hasn't happened this year due to COVID, but normally they'll hold them so people can offload stuff and you can get deals.

L Edge

Master member
Another approach is to find the RC club(s) in your area. If you go to their website, many times they list the planes that members are trying to sell. You might find the right deal that meets your needs.

Bricks

Master member
As much as I am not facebook fan market place will come up with things sometimes nd another is Craigslist but is has died off some since the book of faces started up.