Help! Finding the perfect foam combat design for 3s2200

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
So I need help finding the perfect (or really darn close) design for streamer combat - I'm sure it's already out here somewhere. :D

Here's the list of requirements / considerations:
  • Simple and quick to build - need a couple on hand due to all the crashing that happens, and wanting to hand out kits to interested flyers
  • Easy to transport
  • Able to easily attach a streamer and not have it get chewed up by the motor - i.e. for Mini Arrow's we just glue a barbecue skewer between the wings behind the motor and tape the streamer on
  • 3s2200 battery - it's the largest size our club allows for streamer combat, I've got about 9 of these in my storage box, and it's very common among club members
I love my Mini Arrow for combat, but I've only got a couple of the little narrow 3s1000 batteries and I don't want to buy a bunch more. And I love my FT Simple Scout for combat too, but again I've only got a couple 3S1300 batteries and don't want to buy a bunch more of them.

I'd love to find a community design that meets these needs - things like the Wing Commander Hornet by @AircPirateNinsei looks awesome for this, but would need to be resized to meet the desired battery spec.

Right now the closest match I've found is a FT Versa Wing with the Blunt Nose conversion and a BBQ skewer across the wings behind the prop.

But what else is out there that I'm missing?

FastCrash45

Elite member
What about the Bloody Wonder? I just downloaded the plans and reduced them to 75% to fit the little motor. Might not be simplistic enough but a little design work could change that and it will take up to a 2200 battery

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
+1 for the bloody Barron 2200 might be a fraction heavy but with a c-pack it will carry the extra weight.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
I second the bloody Barron but I would use a modified one like the XL Bloody mustang from the WWII bloody Barron thread. (I can't seem to find the link or remember the actual name of it but someone will lol)

EDIT: I guess damo and I had the same idea at the same time lol. I also used the bloody stang, as I like to call it, in combat last year at FF and it did quite well. You could also go with a piece of foam board, with another folded over a simple stacked spar and taped on elevons, with a B or C motor on it with a 2200. I won a combat two years ago with that setup, the only issue it has is with wind, other than that the thing required almost no throttle to fly and is virtually indestructible.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
What about the Bloody Wonder? I just downloaded the plans and reduced them to 75% to fit the little motor. Might not be simplistic enough but a little design work could change that and it will take up to a 2200 battery

@SP0NZ ’s Bloody baron, on a c-pack you get unlimited vertical and you could probably get ~15 minutes out of a 2200. Also a great plane to carry little gliders up ;).

+1 for the bloody Barron 2200 might be a fraction heavy but with a c-pack it will carry the extra weight.

I don't think I looked into these closely enough - I thought these were 3s1300 battery aircraft and that a 2200 wouldn't fit or would be so heavy it wouldn't fly nicely.

I second the bloody Barron but I would use a modified one like the XL Bloody mustang from the WWII bloody Barron thread. (I can't seem to find the link or remember the actual name of it but someone will lol)

Now an XL Bloody Barron sounds like a good idea for this :) Hopefully we can find those plans... :unsure:

whackflyer

Master member
Until mine met it’s end, I ran a 2200 in my bloody wonder all the time on the c pack, plenty of power left over, and if I remember right the wingspan of both the wonder and the baron are the same. The CG range is very wide. If I remember correctly I ran 2200s and 1000s both as far forward as they would go in the pod and couldn’t notice much difference. Both are great designs and can take a beating. If you’re going to be doing combat I think it would be better to use 2 servos for ailerons buried in the wing with just the horns sticking out, as the single servo setup sticks out the top of the wing quite a ways. Also, on the wonder, do not build it with the vstabs in the FT plans, they stick out and get in the way on landings.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
You have described the Goblin. Actually specced for a 2200 3S. I would have won a combat with mine had my ESC been better positioned for cooling 😕

How did you do the streamer attachment on this design? Sort of looks like the prop is in the way... but with a little extension of the vertical stabs...

Last edited:

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Until mine met it’s end, I ran a 2200 in my bloody wonder all the time on the c pack, plenty of power left over, and if I remember right the wingspan of both the wonder and the baron are the same. The CG range is very wide. If I remember correctly I ran 2200s and 1000s both as far forward as they would go in the pod and couldn’t notice much difference. Both are great designs and can take a beating. If you’re going to be doing combat I think it would be better to use 2 servos for ailerons buried in the wing with just the horns sticking out, as the single servo setup sticks out the top of the wing quite a ways. Also, on the wonder, do not build it with the vstabs in the FT plans, they stick out and get in the way on landings.

Thanks! After diving back through the Bloody WW2 thread, I'm thinking about scaling up the P-40 to C pack sized to match the bloody wonder. @BossBluff already made a very cool skin for it that I should be able to scale up too :D

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/bloody-wwii-baby.37647/post-388733

175203_e60ded071051b91021a122c4888c20d2.jpg

Paracodespoder

Elite member
I built one of those mini p-40’s with an f-pack, and I didn’t like it as much as the baby Brit that I stole the electronics from, I think it was due to the fact it had a larger wingspan and was more “floaty”. (I like my combat planes, even though I don’t fly them in combat, to fly heavy, I think it makes them more predictable and track better.)
It still flew fantastic though, unfortunately like most of my planes the servos and other electronics “disappeared” ;).

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I built one of those mini p-40’s with an f-pack, and I didn’t like it as much as the baby Brit that I stole the electronics from, I think it was due to the fact it had a larger wingspan and was more “floaty”. (I like my combat planes, even though I don’t fly them in combat, to fly heavy, I think it makes them more predictable and track better.)
It still flew fantastic though, unfortunately like most of my planes the servos and other electronics “disappeared” ;).

Good to know - I scaled up the P-40 to a 29" wingspan like the full size Bloody Baron and will cut one out when my box of foam arrives. Time to put some life back in that old thread :D

I didn't tow a streamer. But a minor mod shouldn't be too difficult. Something like the BBQ skewer tow-bar you described.

Makes sense - I'll sketch something up and cut out a Gremlin too! :D

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Either variation of these two plank style builds would work for combat with a 3s 2200. They are variations off a thread on this forum that I can dig up for you if interested. Tractor style so they make for easy streamer attachment and are super quick builds.

View attachment 126372
View attachment 126373

Very interested! That looks like a great streamer combat build!

We should do a combat between my p51 and your p40 at flite fest this year.

Oh yeah - you're on! :D :D