Help! Finding the perfect foam combat design for 3s2200

I vote bloody baron as well. Put an 8x6 prop on this motor, its a ton of fun. A 4 cell 1800 is like adding a turbo to it. I will suggest put the esc in the fuse at the air scoop to protect it and oversize it some to help it deal with the heat. Also suggest to reinforce the power pod mounting holes with either some 1/8" ply or an old gift card cut like a washer with a hole sized for the skewer.

http://www.valuehobby.com/power-sys...ner-airplane/2830-1200kv-outrunner-motor.html

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
I might throw up that albatross I bought from you as well lol. That plane flies good but definitely needs the rudder more than the ailerons to fly. I'm used to bank n yank planes so I'm really glad that I bought it, not only for its flying characteristics, but it's a good rudder trainer as well.

I was going to say sorry for the small thread high jack but then I remembered it flies off of a 2200 😁

Keno

Maybe I am out order here but, I think the Barron, Wonder and Mini Arrow are probably some of the best combat flyer that I have seen. I did enlarge the Arrows fuse to accommodate a larger battery and it then become a favorite. Here are the specification for our clubs uses for our combat event
Combat Plane Specifications:
1. Electric planes weight less than 3 pounds’ w/battery. Liquid fuel powered planes 3 pounds dry.
2. Plane motor size not to exceed: Electric - Park 400, Liquid fuel powered motors, 0.15 cubic inch displacement
3. Plane wingspan: 32 inches or less.
4. Plane’s original design cannot have any added sharpened edges, hooks, protrusions, or any “sticky” substances to enhance ribbon cutting.
5. Plane minimum flying time: 5 minutes.
Although not required, examples of excellent R/C combat planes are available from FLITE TEST, http://flitetest.com, I.E., Bloody Wonder, Baron or Mini Arrow.
I could get into offer our rules for these events but I don't think that is what we are talking about that at this point. Anyway this is a popular event for our club.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I vote bloody baron as well. Put an 8x6 prop on this motor, its a ton of fun. A 4 cell 1800 is like adding a turbo to it. I will suggest put the esc in the fuse at the air scoop to protect it and oversize it some to help it deal with the heat. Also suggest to reinforce the power pod mounting holes with either some 1/8" ply or an old gift card cut like a washer with a hole sized for the skewer.

http://www.valuehobby.com/power-sys...ner-airplane/2830-1200kv-outrunner-motor.html

I'm liking the Bloody Baron idea, but even better that the stock Baron are all the cool variants people designed in that thread mentioned earlier. I finished scaling up the Bloody P-40 from a Mini to an XL size last night, and plan to cut one out next week.

Maybe I am out order here but, I think the Barron, Wonder and Mini Arrow are probably some of the best combat flyer that I have seen. I did enlarge the Arrows fuse to accommodate a larger battery and it then become a favorite. Here are the specification for our clubs uses for our combat event
Combat Plane Specifications:
1. Electric planes weight less than 3 pounds’ w/battery. Liquid fuel powered planes 3 pounds dry.
2. Plane motor size not to exceed: Electric - Park 400, Liquid fuel powered motors, 0.15 cubic inch displacement
3. Plane wingspan: 32 inches or less.
4. Plane’s original design cannot have any added sharpened edges, hooks, protrusions, or any “sticky” substances to enhance ribbon cutting.
5. Plane minimum flying time: 5 minutes.
Although not required, examples of excellent R/C combat planes are available from FLITE TEST, http://flitetest.com, I.E., Bloody Wonder, Baron or Mini Arrow.
I could get into offer our rules for these events but I don't think that is what we are talking about that at this point. Anyway this is a popular event for our club.

I think an Arrow with a wider fuselage to hold a 3s1300 would be a great combat flyer too - the 3s1000 version works great but I only have a couple of those narrow little batteries.

We've gone a bit simpler than you guys for our combat rules so far.
  1. Electric only, 3s2275 or smaller battery
  2. Tow a 30 foot long 1 inch wide streamer on a 5 foot leader string
  3. Don't fly over the pits :p
  4. Combat rounds are 5 minutes long
  5. Scoring - 100 points for cutting someone else's streamer, 50 points for being landing in a "spot landing" circle after the 5 minutes end
That looks like the gremlins I flew combat with in the early 90's

Yeah - I'm really digging those. Hope we can find that build thread - I'd love to try one of those designs out, especially the forward swept one.

I might throw up that albatross I bought from you as well lol. That plane flies good but definitely needs the rudder more than the ailerons to fly. I'm used to bank n yank planes so I'm really glad that I bought it, not only for its flying characteristics, but it's a good rudder trainer as well.

I was going to say sorry for the small thread high jack but then I remembered it flies off of a 2200 😁

That Albatross would look so cool in a combat event! Especially one as crazy as Flite Fest :D And she's beat up enough that it won't induce tears if she goes down hard :p

Headbang

Master member
I'm liking the Bloody Baron idea, but even better that the stock Baron are all the cool variants people designed in that thread mentioned earlier. I finished scaling up the Bloody P-40 from a Mini to an XL size last night, and plan to cut one out next week.

I think an Arrow with a wider fuselage to hold a 3s1300 would be a great combat flyer too - the 3s1000 version works great but I only have a couple of those narrow little batteries.

We've gone a bit simpler than you guys for our combat rules so far.
  1. Electric only, 3s2275 or smaller battery
  2. Tow a 30 foot long 1 inch wide streamer on a 5 foot leader string
  3. Don't fly over the pits :p
  4. Combat rounds are 5 minutes long
  5. Scoring - 100 points for cutting someone else's streamer, 50 points for being landing in a "spot landing" circle after the 5 minutes end

Yeah - I'm really digging those. Hope we can find that build thread - I'd love to try one of those designs out, especially the forward swept one.

That Albatross would look so cool in a combat event! Especially one as crazy as Flite Fest :D And she's beat up enough that it won't induce tears if she goes down hard :p
I have the original gremlin plans somewhere. I even have a set of cut foam cores. Considering the gremlin was a plastic PVC down spout with a fully symmetrical foam core wing covered in packing tape, controlled with a mechanical mixer and a .20 glow engine. It lends its self well to foam board.

Wildthing

Legendary member
The FT Baron is my first choice, I don't really like the way the Wonder flies. I modified the plans to use 6mm foam and run the Turnigy 2826 1400kv motor, 40A esc and 2200 3S battery along with a 10X5 APC prop.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
As a point of reference, here is a classic controline combat model:

Combat.jpg

And here is a Flite Streak. An all-around great flyer and stunt trainer. It was also popular for "slow" combat.

Flitestreak.jpg

Question: As regards RC combat, do tractors cut better than pushers? Do pushers have a higher probability of a missed cut?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
As a point of reference, here is a classic controline combat model:

View attachment 126405

And here is a Flite Streak. An all-around great flyer and stunt trainer. It was also popular for "slow" combat.

View attachment 126407

Question: As regards RC combat, do tractors cut better than pushers? Do pushers have a higher probability of a missed cut?

I don't think pushers have less of a chance of making a cut - the streamers are barely holding together and in over a year of pusher only streamer combat at our club I've never heard of someone not making a cut due to the streamer sliding off their plane. Not to say it couldn't happen, just that in my experience and at our club, it's extremely rare.

What does happen with pushers and streamers though is they get caught up in your own motor on launch. Lots. At least once per event someone (and often me for some reason) does something when launching that causes it to eat some or all of it's own streamer.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I may be slightly biased, but I vote Bloody Baron as well. It was designed for combat. :cool:

Yeah, all of us could see that coming :p

But seriously, using the Bloody Baron as a base, look at how awesome that Bloody P-40 is! :cool:

I'm expecting a box of foam to arrive Monday and already have the plans converted to gcode and ready to cut! :D

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Baron is my favorite but I also have a couple self designed ones, in the second picture one I call the Harley Hustler is looking very promising. When it's combat day I take them all just incase. :)

Nice looking squadron! And yeah, for best results I take enough planes to fly one per round :D