Help! Finding the perfect foam combat design for 3s2200

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
What about Versa Wings?

Our club pretty much uses those exclusively, and there's a LOT of fun with it. They run a Trifecta once a month - guys will try to cut streamers for 5 minutes. After that, they land, and whoever got the highest score by cutting streamers gets a long streamer that everyone else has to cut, called "Chasing the Skirt". Finally, in the trifecta, they play shuffleboard - Go up to a certain height, everyone cuts their throttle at the same time, and they have to glide in to land closest to the center of an X on the runway. Whoever gets closest gets points for the win. Entire Trifecta takes 40 minutes, with landings and battery swaps, and everyone's running 3S 2200 batteries.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
What about Versa Wings?

Our club pretty much uses those exclusively, and there's a LOT of fun with it. They run a Trifecta once a month - guys will try to cut streamers for 5 minutes. After that, they land, and whoever got the highest score by cutting streamers gets a long streamer that everyone else has to cut, called "Chasing the Skirt". Finally, in the trifecta, they play shuffleboard - Go up to a certain height, everyone cuts their throttle at the same time, and they have to glide in to land closest to the center of an X on the runway. Whoever gets closest gets points for the win. Entire Trifecta takes 40 minutes, with landings and battery swaps, and everyone's running 3S 2200 batteries.

I might give the Versa a go after the current kits I'm cutting - I was attracted to the wing format at first for this cause it's easier to stick 3 or 5 of them in the car and still have room for a transmitter.

I really like the idea of the current leader needing to tow an even longer streamer - I'll be raising that with the combat CD at the club meeting tonight :D

Bricks

Master member
With us after about the first 5 minutes of trying to cut streamers the rest is mortal combat until batteries are dead. Rinse and repeat without streamers if any one has something that is till flyable last plane still able to get in the air is winner.

sprzout

Mentor
I might give the Versa a go after the current kits I'm cutting - I was attracted to the wing format at first for this cause it's easier to stick 3 or 5 of them in the car and still have room for a transmitter.

I really like the idea of the current leader needing to tow an even longer streamer - I'll be raising that with the combat CD at the club meeting tonight :D

I'm good with sharing that! :) We actually have a tutu that someone found at a thrift store, and we make the person who's being chased, wear it. It's hilarious. There's always a lot of jokes about it - "Hey Joe, those are some mighty sexy legs you're showing off there!", even if the guy's wearing pants. :) Everyone enjoys it, especially the spectators. :)

Wildthing

Legendary member
What about Versa Wings?

By chance do you have a pdf file of the rules to print out, sounds reall interesting?

sprzout

Mentor
By chance do you have a pdf file of the rules to print out, sounds reall interesting?

I do not, at least, not at the moment. That said, I will be going to my monthly meeting tonight and seeing the man in charge of the Combat Trifecta, and I will ask him for rules on how he determines scoring. :)

Wildthing

Legendary member
I do not, at least, not at the moment. That said, I will be going to my monthly meeting tonight and seeing the man in charge of the Combat Trifecta, and I will ask him for rules on how he determines scoring. :)

That would be great, we really don't have any rules per say :) , it is just go get'm :)

Keno

Here are the rules for combat that we use as they are written to suit our field and membership. I am sure that some will not be suitable for your situation and/or field and I present them only for info.

Attachments

• Combat rules (1).pdf
    66.4 KB · Views: 0

sprzout

Mentor
I was able to get the rules last night for our trifecta combat competitions...Similar rules, done in 75 minutes. :) Our requirements have changed over the years; they used to do it with Mustang/MiG style planes, but now it's all delta wings like the Versa Wing (which a lot of guys have figured out how to modify and make stronger than with the traditional foamboard; one of the guys was showing off a Versa Wing he'd made out of coroplast last night!)

It's really fun, and the guys who participate are a really good natured bunch. The $5 entry fee is more of a gentleman's fee to pay for coffee and doughnuts, and a pie or cake for the winner to take home. :)

Attachments

• a27443_d2a33490e78746bab2e60b8e7ae3f61a.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 0

Wildthing

Legendary member
I was able to get the rules last night for our trifecta combat competitions...Similar rules, done in 75 minutes. :) Our requirements have changed over the years; they used to do it with Mustang/MiG style planes, but now it's all delta wings like the Versa Wing (which a lot of guys have figured out how to modify and make stronger than with the traditional foamboard; one of the guys was showing off a Versa Wing he'd made out of coroplast last night!)

It's really fun, and the guys who participate are a really good natured bunch. The $5 entry fee is more of a gentleman's fee to pay for coffee and doughnuts, and a pie or cake for the winner to take home. :)

We really just started the combat fighting last year so no really rules to go by , cut another guys streamer and that counts as a kill and you get a sticker for your plane for each kill. We do use about 30 foot streamers not 30 inch.

Wildthing

Legendary member

This was a fun one, got a kill but right near the end of the video we had a midair collision , total lose but great fun and well worth the little bit of foam/glue down the drain.

sprzout

Mentor
We really just started the combat fighting last year so no really rules to go by , cut another guys streamer and that counts as a kill and you get a sticker for your plane for each kill. We do use about 30 foot streamers not 30 inch.

30 feet of streamer seems like a bit of overkill...It'd be really easy to catch one, especially for "Chasing the Skirts". :) 2 and a half feet makes for a much more interesting challenge. :)

Wildthing

Legendary member
30 feet of streamer seems like a bit of overkill...It'd be really easy to catch one, especially for "Chasing the Skirts". :) 2 and a half feet makes for a much more interesting challenge. :)

I have a hard time with the 30 feet, I find the depth perception being really hard. Sometimes I think I am right on the guys tail and I am 20 feet to the side of him. :)

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Over the last year we've found 30 feet streamer on a 5-10 foot leader works out best (suspicious that it's also the official AMA requirement for Event 755 Open Combat). That leader allows the plane to maneuver better and turn sharper. Even with this setup and 7 planes in the air at once, there are usually only 1 or 2 cuts per round.

Wildthing

Legendary member
Over the last year we've found 30 feet streamer on a 5-10 foot leader works out best (suspicious that it's also the official AMA requirement for Event 755 Open Combat). That leader allows the plane to maneuver better and turn sharper. Even with this setup and 7 planes in the air at once, there are usually only 1 or 2 cuts per round.

If you watch my video a few posts back there are no issues maneuvering with the Baron and a 30 ft streamer, truthfully I don't think I notice any difference. Now I know some combats are with wings and I can see that affecting how it flies but I have never tried a wing with a streamer.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
If you watch my video a few posts back there are no issues maneuvering with the Baron and a 30 ft streamer, truthfully I don't think I notice any difference. Now I know some combats are with wings and I can see that affecting how it flies but I have never tried a wing with a streamer.

That matches my experience - I really noticed the performance difference with the Mini Arrow and Eluminator flying wings.

Jackson T

Elite member
I love my FT Simple Scout for combat too, but again I've only got a couple 3S1300 batteries and don't want to buy a bunch more of them.
I just finished my simple scout build, and because of the Australian foamboard, FPV gear, paint, and 2200mah 3s it weighs 790 grams. Yeah, it's much heavier than the estimated AUW of 536 grams according to the plans, but it still flies super slow and predictable! I don't think you will notice much difference with a 2200mah compared to a 1300mah battery. I just wish I had friends to fly combat with! None of them fly RC (yet) ;)

Last edited:

Brett_N

You didn't specify HOW MANY 3S2200's you could use. 2x on a 150% size bloody?

We pretty much ONLY use Bloody Wonders for combat. 3S or 4S 2200's it's fine.

Although - a bigger, meaner nutball has some advantages as well.

Attachments

• 20190131_215027.jpg
    20190131_215027.jpg
    655.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20190225_180842.jpg
    20190225_180842.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0