Finishing my P-38. Center of Gravity?

bobr

Just finishing up my P-38 build - It's doc's say the COG is 45mm back from the leading edge. I will need to add a LOT of weight to the nose. What are others experiencing? I'm using a 2200 4s battery.

Bob Ross

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
I've not built the P-38. Other FT planes I have build have needed modifications to get the CG right. Instead of adding weight, I have cut the nose off and added 2 inches, moving the motor and battery forward. Similar to the red cut line in this picture.

Put the plane on a balance stand and pull the power pod and battery forward to see how much nose you need to add.

1585668776328.png

Last edited:

FDS

Elite member
It should balance on the right spot. Are you using the recommended battery or a pack the same weight?
Watch how far back the motors are mounted too, they can make a difference.

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
I’m not surprised. I think others have been using larger batteries. When I finish my P-38 I’ll be using two 3s 1500 wired together to make a 3000 3s. I’ll probably end up having to add some nose weight anyways, but the next size up would be a 5000 mah 3s which I think might give the B pack motors a little too much of a work out...

Reactions: FDS

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
I’m not surprised. I think others have been using larger batteries. When I finish my P-38 I’ll be using two 3s 1500 wired together to make a 3000 3s. I’ll probably end up having to add some nose weight anyways, but the next size up would be a 5000 mah 3s which I think might give the B pack motors a little too much of a work out...

Can you fit 2 of those batteries?