First 4 Channel Suggestions

sowhatifimnerdy

Hey there fellow flitetest forum users. I'm brand-spanking new to the hobby and have been teaching myself to fly with the HZ supercub. It's been a few months now and i think I have been pretty succesful. So, I've been thinking about a second plane. I want a 4 channel parkflyer. I would not mind a kit, but rtf's are good too. I'm thinking something along the lines of the pz trojan or Se5. A few kits have also caught my eye, like the alien aircraft PT-17, or Zeke's parkscale Monocoupe 90a. I don't have nor want a simulator, so the T-28 makes me a bit nervous. I would like something with good training characteristics, but will easily do some fun stuff. I would really like something that flies slow well, and ailerons are a must. It can only be a 4-channel, as I have the dx4e and don't want to trade up just yet. Anyone have opinions and/or suggestions. Which one of these would be a good choice, or are there other things out there along these lines that would suit me better? All help is appreciated.

P.S. I'll be in a dorm next year, so space is an isue. What about a HK Bonsai? Would that be a good first Aileron plane?
Thanks all.

P.P.S. While I am not entirely opposed to motorgliders, I'd still prefer a scale plane or the bonsai.

Last edited:

earthsciteach

The Parkzone T-28 is often recommended as a solid second plane. I have never flown one, personally, but they have a great reputation. If you are comfortable with your Super Cub, I think you'd do fine with the T-28.

Welcome to the forum!

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
I have the Parkzone T-28 and I can tell you it is a great 2nd plane. I have had it 2 years and I can say it is still flying and is very easy to fly. I have had my share of crashes with it, but one tough plane and easy to fix.

I would not hesitate to recommend it as a second, great one for your first 4 channel!!!

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
Maybe something like a Multiplex Fun Cub. My only problem with the T-28 as both a second plane AND first four channel plane is that it's low wing. That's two firsts...four channel and low wing. Try to take things one step at a time. Since you don't have a sim, go from the high wing three channel to a high wing four channel. Once the high wing four channel is mastered, then move onto the low wing four channel. The fun cub has optional flaps so your DX4e will be fine. You can install the flaps later when you upgrade your TX.

http://www.multiplexusa.com/model-kits/not-set.html

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/fun-cub-kit-MPU214243

Last edited:

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I've flown my friends T-28 and it is a wonderful plane. It's a great first four channel plane. It's docile and forgiving, but it will still climb vertically and do all kinds of scale stunts. Plus it's a tricycle gear so it will land beautifully. That helps when you're still getting used to ailerons.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is adding ailerons to your cub. Everyone I know has done the aileron mod and it really makes a nice 4 channel plane. I have an article on modding super cubs on the main site. Not saying you shouldn't also get a 4 channel plane but you can add ailerons to your cub for very little cost.

I've also flown the Multiplex Fun Cub and it's a blast as well. I would recommend it except you already have a cub and probably want something different.

robschonk

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is adding ailerons to your cub. Everyone I know has done the aileron mod and it really makes a nice 4 channel plane. I have an article on modding super cubs on the main site.

+1. Very easy to do and cheap. Couple of servos, some hinges or tape and a Y adapter. Be sure to flatten your wing to remove most of the dihedral to make the ailerons more responsive. Be sure to switch your rudder servo lead to the socket marked rudder and plug the aileron lead into the aileron socket. Better yet, buy a spare wing at your LHS or over the Internet, and then you could switch back to three channels when teaching friends.

Good info in this board, and a bunch of videos on Youtube.

Here's another source, too:

http://supercubclub.proboards.com/

sowhatifimnerdy

Thanks for all the suggestions, the fun cub looks tempting but it looks a little too large. Does anybody have personal experience with the Bonsai?

SteveRoby

Get a Parkzone T28. Honestly you wont regret it, you wont ever outgrow it or want to replace it.
It bought one last month. It my 3rd (4ch) RC plane
It flies beautifully & slow , so docile & forgiving . Can do some basic aerobatics.
Being low wing doesnt matter on this plane, its just that easy to fly.

Only issues with T28 are the cost & size. (rather expensive compared to Hobbyking Planes)
If you want a smaller plane, perhaps the ParkZone T28 micro.

Not sure a flying wing is a good choice for 1st 4ch plane ??
Have a read thought the Bonsai Questions Comments on the HK site.

Bonsai by Josh & Josh
http://flitetest.com/articles/tek-sumo-and-bonsai

Last edited:

randelora

When I first got into the hobby I started out with the HZ super cub like you did. I was flying it like a pro no crashes and got bored easily. My second plane was a Parkzone wildcat. I completely destroyed it my first time out. I still claim I lost sight of a blue plane in a blue sky. That may have been a factor but my skills weren't good enough yet. If I could do it all over again I would have made my first plane my second plane. I actually made it my third plane. I added ailerons and flaps to the cub along with a brushless motor and fun cub tundra tires. You could probably do all this for well under a hundred dollars. That way you aren't out a fortune if you crash. Cub parts are dirt cheap. Parkzone parts are a lot more money if you have an accident. Good Luck and land safe.

Wade's RC Hangar

Forever Noob
I do agree with everyone about the T-28 but the size is an issue. I know there is a new release from Horizon Hobby that probably would fit your bill. It is the Archer and it is a bit smaller at about 36 inch wingspan. That thing flies really well and would be a good one for you to learn on. Hope this helps and I would also consider putting ailerons on the super cub. I love my super cub now that I have upgraded it. Once you do the ailerons and maybe even a brushless motor, it is a whole other plane. Maybe think about straightening the wings when you do the aileron mod too.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
What about the Se5a by parkzone? How would that do compared to the trojan?
It would be more difficult to fly. Master a standard 4ch plane (preferably high wing) before you move onto a bipe. The T-28 is probably a very easy plane to fly but a high wing will have properties that will make it easier still to fly than a T-28. You WILL tear up your first 4ch so make sure it's a beater.

If they were still available I'd recommend the GWS E-Starter. It was a 40" high wing beer cooler foam 4ch trainer that was like $40 w/moter. Add a brushed ESC and three 9 gram servos and you have a plane for like $60.

After spending a month on the simulator a few years ago and being able to successfully land most of the sim planes, I crashed the E-Starter on the first two flights.

Last edited:

MrClean

You're FIRST 4 channel plane? I'm here to tell ya, you don't tear up ALL your airplanes eventually, you ain't flying right.

The absolute worse fate a plane can have is to die of hangar rash.

sowhatifimnerdy

Well, I'd love to put ailerons on my cub, but It's just too darn big. After reading up on it, I am seriously thinking about the ultra micro t-28. Can anybody vouch for it's performance? Particularily, is it just as good as a trainer as the big 'un? And, does anyone know if one can buy and install an aftermarket as3x receiver? After seeing the umx gee bee in action in 10mph winds, it feels like as3x is a must for ultra micros. Any input given (and that has been given) is greatly appreciated.

bicyclemonkey

Flying Derp
Mentor
You're FIRST 4 channel plane? I'm here to tell ya, you don't tear up ALL your airplanes eventually, you ain't flying right.

The absolute worse fate a plane can have is to die of hangar rash.
Yeah but you don't want your first four channel plane to be a $200+ Parkzone just to smash it into the ground the first flight.

Well, I'd love to put ailerons on my cub, but It's just too darn big.
So if the Super Cub LP with a 47" span is too big then you aren't left with much else lol. How big of space do you have to fly?

randelora

The Piper Archer has a 36.8 in wingspan and an overall length of 25.6 in. Its big enough to fly in the wind and smaller than the cub. I've never flown an ultra micro before. I can't imagine that they fly too well in the wind. On the plus side they are light enough that they can take a hit pretty well.

Wade's RC Hangar

Forever Noob
Well, I'd love to put ailerons on my cub, but It's just too darn big. After reading up on it, I am seriously thinking about the ultra micro t-28. Can anybody vouch for it's performance? Particularily, is it just as good as a trainer as the big 'un? And, does anyone know if one can buy and install an aftermarket as3x receiver? After seeing the umx gee bee in action in 10mph winds, it feels like as3x is a must for ultra micros. Any input given (and that has been given) is greatly appreciated.

I would say yes to the UM planes only if they have as3x. I have had the micro p-51 without it and it was a bit hairy in the wind. The good thing about the archer is that parts are cheap as usual for PZ and it is big enough to fly in a bit of wind and not have too much problems. That would be your best bet IMO.

sowhatifimnerdy

As for area, there's the uni quad (although i don't know how they'd feel about a plane there) and several parks a short bus ride away. there's also plenty of big parking lots and sports fields around the res. I realize the trojan is only 3 inches shorter in the wing, but, without gear it seems a lot easier to store and hall around, and belly landing could be done in the snow, where the cub needs floats. But then again the micro would be all.the more easier. Maybe wind won't be such a problem, If I can find an area enclosed by buildings and trees. Have you guys flown the archer? Is it's flight trojan-like?