First Balsa Build - Cuda 26

TooJung2Die

Master member
Pretend you don't see the scorched covering.
Looks like the damage is over balsa sheet. You can trim the damaged edges and tack down a small piece to cover the bare spot. It'll be less noticeable. I have yet to completely cover an airplane without removing and re-covering sections.

johnnycarlos

Looks like the damage is over balsa sheet. You can trim the damaged edges and tack down a small piece to cover the bare spot. It'll be less noticeable. I have yet to completely cover an airplane without removing and re-covering sections.

If this survives more than a few flights, I'll give this a try.

johnnycarlos

Welp, reached a point where there's pretty much nothing left to do. Except....

CudaComplete.jpg

TooJung2Die

Master member
I got the jitters just thinking about it's maiden flight. I can toss a foam board airplane into the sky on it's maiden without a thought. First flight of a balsa build is like my first ever airplane all over again. Good luck with the maiden flight. Hope your hands aren't shakin' too bad. :)(y)

johnnycarlos

I got the jitters just thinking about it's maiden flight. I can toss a foam board airplane into the sky on it's maiden without a thought. First flight of a balsa build is like my first ever airplane all over again. Good luck with the maiden flight. Hope your hands aren't shakin' too bad. :)(y)

So true! It's a lot of work building a plane. And balsa does not forgive.

The first time I ever threw an RC it was a 2m foam glider I made from a kit. I threw it off a cliff over the ocean! And I was completely shocked to see it fly, up it went beautifully like I'd done it a thousand times before. It was scary though, and it never occurred to me to hand launch in a field for testing and adjustments.

I took to heart though the build your first balsa thread. I'm buying building experience, not a flying plane. If it does fly, that's a bonus.

And in eventuality that I crash catastrophically, I'm so familiar with my components to put it in another kit, it'll be so much less expensive. Compare that to when I crashed my Radian, I went to the hobby shop and there was nothing I could put that motor and ESC in. The motor shaft was backwards and the ESC was not powerful enough for the ARF balsa's they had. I was a little disenchanted that you're supposed to just buy a whole new plane. I'm thrilled to have this skill now.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Buying building experience. I forgot I wrote that - and my kids think I’m dumb... :)

I’ll second the idea of adding a little reflex in for the launch. Set it on a switch so you can turn it off once it’s flying. Also, watch your orientation, that’s how I lost my Cuda. It can absorb a lot of damage with minor repairs, but not full speed straight down!

johnnycarlos

Set it on a switch so you can turn it off once it’s flying.

I like this idea but I haven't figured out yet how to do it (DX6) and my searches only come up with people trying to replace their trim switch. I'm thinking it would be configuring 2 flight modes with different sub-trim values? If there's a better way I'd appreciate suggestions.

johnnycarlos

I haven't figured out yet how to do it (DX6)
Getting close, found this in the manual:

Trim Type
The two Trim Type options are Common and F Mode.

Common trim type maintains the same trim values for all flight modes.

F Mode trim type enables you to save trim values for individual flightmodes if you find, for example, the aircraft requires aileron trim in Flight Mode 1 but not in Flight Mode 2.

johnnycarlos

Solved! For anyone who comes across this post looking for a solution on a Spektrum DX6, this is how I did it. There may be other ways, and either way, the manual is not exactly clear about it:

1. Power On and make sure you are on your desired model.
  2. Scroll to System Setup -> YES
  3. Scroll to F-Mode Setup
  4. Flight Mode Switch -> Switch B
  5. If you were to go to the Main Screen at this point and toggle Switch B, you should observe it saying “Flight Mode 1”, “Flight Mode 2″…
  6. Scroll to Trim Setup -> Elevator: 5 F Mode
  7. Now return to the Main Screen and select the Flight Mode you would like to have some up-trim.
  8. Adjust the Elevator trim the usual way with the Trim button
  9. Now when you toggle to the other Flight Mode, you will observe the trim value change on the slider icon. Each Flight Mode can be set to different values this way.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Uhm, Did you cover OVER the servo hatches? These were meant to be removable to service the servos. You cover the hatches individually and then screw the hatch into the wing. Looking good though. I'd also suggest a diaper for the maiden. :p

johnnycarlos

Uhm, Did you cover OVER the servo hatches? These were meant to be removable to service the servos. You cover the hatches individually and then screw the hatch into the wing. Looking good though. I'd also suggest a diaper for the maiden. :p

Oh man, I sure did. That explains the 8 leftover screws, lol. There's nothing in the instructions about it. I scratched my head over it for quite a while. Thanks for the insight. Wow.

Oh well. This is a one way trip anyways. Nothing in that plane gets out alive.

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Looks great, I love building balsa planes, they fly and last so much better than foam...unless you crash...
Anyway, for your next build, I have been liking the Sig kits lately, they go together nicely, the price is not bad, and there is a good selection.
Also, I noticed, people were commenting earlier about the cost of building and parts, some of my 60 sized planes have between $800-$1,000 invested in them. I guess it just depends on how precise, dependable and how long you want your components to last as the old saying goes "you get what you pay for". I am finding that digital servos and higher end components tend to be easier to set up, and more bomb proof in crashes and under the stresses of flight than the cheaper plastic analog stuff. Congrats and good luck on your maiden!

johnnycarlos

Looks great, I love building balsa planes, they fly and last so much better than foam...unless you crash...
Anyway, for your next build, I have been liking the Sig kits lately, they go together nicely, the price is not bad, and there is a good selection.

Thanks, I am having a blast. And looking forward to my next kit, probably decide some time early next week. With the Sigs, my concern is converting to EP. Other than the old timer scales, seems like the only "out of the box" EP is the Four Star.

My list is pretty narrow at this point. Thinking Four Star or an EP sailplane like Chrysalis or Stevens Aero. I live in a good thermal lift region and a second plane with long flight times would be a win. Prefer large planes over floaty indoor/park flyers.

Last edited:

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
Four star is a nice plane. With the Sig kits it’s not to difficult to convert to electric and there are probably build threads for all of them to convert. I have one detailed Sig electric conversion build thread, The Sig Hog Bipe and it’s an amazing plane, but a tad advanced to build. Also, check out Sigs line of Alien Aircraft as I believe a lot of them are electric builds. I did an Alien Super Dragon flying boat and it was pretty easy and all laser cut.

johnnycarlos

The Funmaster looks pretty cool and it has an electric option, Slow big flyer.

That does look cool, and the build instructions with color photos are just plain awesome. I think though, I'd still prefer an EP sailplane as a second build and second working plane for the longer flight times. I'll put this on the list though. Thanks!

nhk750

Aviation Enthusiast
I looked at that one also and it sparked my interest a bit. But I have lots of projects for a few years right now.

johnnycarlos

Maiden.

It was nuts! 20 seconds of chaos. A broncin' buck. I balanced it a little bit nose heavy, but it should have been a heck of a lot more. Eventually I lost orientation and that was that.

The sealed in servos survived great.

Oh well, I had considered it gone even before I even built it. I got what I paid for, a great building experience. I learned a lot.

All of the components are ready for another model.

CudaCrash.jpg