First Balsa Build, Kadet Senior

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
First time balsa builder here, long time lurker on this forum, figured I'd give it a shot. ;)

Actually, this is the first time I've even touched a plane or kit in over a year now, so I do kind of feel like a novice at it again. I've been wanting to get back into it again for a few months, but my other hobby (shooting and reloading) had taken over the workbench to the point there was just no room for balsa. To get rolling again I'm starting with an "easy" kit that I've had for a couple years. Well, there are actually TWO of these kits in the box except for the wings (which were built when I got the kits). I know there are a couple pieces missing, but it's a safe bet that at least 90% of the parts are here. The nice thing about the Kadet design is that it's mostly just stick-built, so missing parts are easy to reproduce.

The plan is to go with a small gas engine, probably 9cc. It will be a good companion to my electric Kadet Senior which is powered by a 5 cell setup. The big hurdle will be finding where I put all my tools over the past year! :eek:

1.jpg

A little sorting tells me I've got at least enough parts to build one complete fuselage. To build the second will require custom cutting a few pieces or buying the missing parts direct from Sig.

2.jpg

Here's one of the two wings I got with the kits. The other is already joined together as a full wing, and neither is in great condition. This wing is better than the other, and both COULD be used with a little fixing. However, my plan is to add ailerons to this build and flatten out some of the dihedral, so I'm probably just going to order a new wing kit from Sig and incorporate the changes from the start. Maybe I'll build one of the old wings up so I can run the plane as either 3 or 4 channels just by picking the appropriate wing.

3.jpg

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
And of course, right as I’m getting ready to start building again (last night), a storm blows through and knocks our power out. 24 hours later it’s still out. Sooo bored without access to the workshop I actually read the build manual!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Slacker.

I remember back in the day we had to work by candlelight. Not only was it hard to see but even harder to weld with. You thought your grand parents had it rough walking to school in the snow uphill BOTH ways with only one shoe carrying the horse. That ain't nothin.

Back then we not only had to use grease for keeping the machines running we had to cook with it too!! Some days it was REALLY hard telling the difference between the new Good Year tractor ties and mamas mystery meat she called steak.

Well comeback Joker.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
First time balsa builder here, long time lurker on this forum, figured I'd give it a shot. ;)

Actually, this is the first time I've even touched a plane or kit in over a year now, so I do kind of feel like a novice at it again. I've been wanting to get back into it again for a few months, but my other hobby (shooting and reloading) had taken over the workbench to the point there was just no room for balsa. To get rolling again I'm starting with an "easy" kit that I've had for a couple years. Well, there are actually TWO of these kits in the box except for the wings (which were built when I got the kits). I know there are a couple pieces missing, but it's a safe bet that at least 90% of the parts are here. The nice thing about the Kadet design is that it's mostly just stick-built, so missing parts are easy to reproduce.

The plan is to go with a small gas engine, probably 9cc. It will be a good companion to my electric Kadet Senior which is powered by a 5 cell setup. The big hurdle will be finding where I put all my tools over the past year! :eek:

View attachment 204950

A little sorting tells me I've got at least enough parts to build one complete fuselage. To build the second will require custom cutting a few pieces or buying the missing parts direct from Sig.

View attachment 204951

Here's one of the two wings I got with the kits. The other is already joined together as a full wing, and neither is in great condition. This wing is better than the other, and both COULD be used with a little fixing. However, my plan is to add ailerons to this build and flatten out some of the dihedral, so I'm probably just going to order a new wing kit from Sig and incorporate the changes from the start. Maybe I'll build one of the old wings up so I can run the plane as either 3 or 4 channels just by picking the appropriate wing.

View attachment 204952
Great, nice to see you're back at it again 👍That storm knocked out the power for quite a lot of the area, some people I know from Waukesha down to Kenosha had no power.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Slacker.

I remember back in the day we had to work by candlelight. Not only was it hard to see but even harder to weld with. You thought your grand parents had it rough walking to school in the snow uphill BOTH ways with only one shoe carrying the horse. That ain't nothin.

Back then we not only had to use grease for keeping the machines running we had to cook with it too!! Some days it was REALLY hard telling the difference between the new Good Year tractor ties and mamas mystery meat she called steak.

Well comeback Joker.

If it helps, I was working by candlelight, but it was while reloading ammo. Now THAT is something you don’t want to mess up!

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Great, nice to see you're back at it again 👍That storm knocked out the power for quite a lot of the area, some people I know from Waukesha down to Kenosha had no power.

It’s back on for many, but not for me yet. The generator is getting a good workout, and my new neighbors are extremely glad I have it as well. They’re out shopping for their own now, but good luck!

checkerboardflyer

One of my all time favorite R/C model planes: the Sig Kadet Senior. The build was enjoyable. Just really like stick construction. And a relaxing flyer. Part of the experience was the open rocker, 4 stroke Enya. It just had a unique sound. Switched over to foam board models. Visit my blog HERE.

kadet sr.jpeg

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
After leaving the old plans pulled flat to release years worth of bends for a couple days (while I waited for the power to come back on - 60 hours...), I'm sloooowly getting back into the swing of cutting and sanding, and starting off with the fuselage. It's made mostly of 1/4" sticks of balsa and spruce. Once the first side is done, the second side is built directly on top of the first to make sure everything lines up evenly.

4.jpg

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
After leaving the old plans pulled flat to release years worth of bends for a couple days (while I waited for the power to come back on - 60 hours...), I'm sloooowly getting back into the swing of cutting and sanding, and starting off with the fuselage. It's made mostly of 1/4" sticks of balsa and spruce. Once the first side is done, the second side is built directly on top of the first to make sure everything lines up evenly.

View attachment 205144
Nice! Do you have any plans for the trim scheme?

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Well, welcome back to building. I wish I could say the same for myself. College sucks!

I've owned a couple of these, both the kit and the ARF version, one of each. I preferred the kit even though it had no ailerons. They build out a lot lighter. There's much less plywood in the kit and the ARF has it in a lot of places that aren't necessary. Both flew well regardless.

On a separate note I believe Sig themselves offered a plan for an aileron wing for the kit Senior before the ARF existed...

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
A little picking away at it over the last day finds both fuselage sides complete. As previously mentioned, the second side is built directly on top of the first side to make sure they line up properly. Unless you want to fly a plane shaped like a banana... Building is being done on my magnetic building board (sheet metal laid on my bench), and overall I like using the magnets much more than sticking pins in everything. Tomorrow the sides will be removed from the board, a few rough ends will be trimmed, and I can then go about the task of building the bracing that goes between the sides. That's when it'll start to look more like a fuselage!

5.jpg

TooJung2Die

Master member
A Classic! I always enjoy following your builds. We learn a lot from stealing (copying) other builders ideas. I moved this year to another state. My workshop is finally completed but since I'm a homeowner again the property projects have taken priority over the airplanes. 😢

Turbojoe

Elite member
In a fit of stupidity I sold my NIB Kadet Sr. kit maybe two years ago. Been kicking myself ever since. After I cover and fly my Telemaster 40 and I can scrape the money together I think I'll go for another Kadet Sr. kit. I haven't looked yet but aren't the Senior plans out there somewhere? I've got plenty of wood to scratch build one.

Joe

speedbirdted

Legendary member
In a fit of stupidity I sold my NIB Kadet Sr. kit maybe two years ago. Been kicking myself ever since. After I cover and fly my Telemaster 40 and I can scrape the money together I think I'll go for another Kadet Sr. kit. I haven't looked yet but aren't the Senior plans out there somewhere? I've got plenty of wood to scratch build one.

Joe

Plans can be bought direct from Sig: $14 not counting shipping...

I like the idea of scratchbuilding one. After my current one is airworthy I might have to try that. It seems like I rotate between shortages of time, wood, or money now...

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Joe

Buying plans from Sig is probably the best bet. You can also buy plans on ebay - full size, 150%, 200% etc, however you'd be buying a copy of a copy so quality may not be as good as original. So the fuselage could completely be built from scratch with everything shown on the plans. The only thing I've seen so far that ISN'T shown on the plans is the wing rib profile, but it'd be easy enough to have somebody trace one for you.

Turbojoe

Elite member
I've seen that at Sig. Being the poor cheapskate that I've become I was hoping for a less expensive way out. Now thinking about it just buying a kit with all the extras included is probably the best way to do this. I love SIG!

Joe

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I've seen that at Sig. Being the poor cheapskate that I've become I was hoping for a less expensive way out. Now thinking about it just buying a kit with all the extras included is probably the best way to do this. I love SIG!

Joe

Remind me when I finish this kit and you can have all the extra original printed balsa sheets I end up with. I know I'll have extra parts for the wood cowl, the "cheeks" that go on either side of the nose by the fuel tank, a firewall, etc. No wing components or sticks, but it'd be enough to jumpstart a build.

Turbojoe

Elite member
Remind me when I finish this kit and you can have all the extra original printed balsa sheets I end up with. I know I'll have extra parts for the wood cowl, the "cheeks" that go on either side of the nose by the fuel tank, a firewall, etc. No wing components or sticks, but it'd be enough to jumpstart a build.

Thanks for the offer but you know what? Sig has been a force in all of our lives dating back to the early 70's for me. I should just go ahead and spend the bucks and buy a kit from SIG. Hey, we gotta keep kit suppliers in business right?

Joe