First Balsa Build: Willy Nillies JR. Skylark

Lilbanks96

Getting some progress tonight! But have a few questions.
1. what is this piece (rectangle with holes)
2. Do you have a specific order that you build in? Like Fuse, electronic install, tail, wing, etc. I would love to know what I should tackle after the fuse is constructed.

Attachments

• A9F575C3-9A10-4DB9-8DD3-D422B46CA850.jpeg
    A9F575C3-9A10-4DB9-8DD3-D422B46CA850.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 93796E60-914A-4CF4-B4AA-ACB5EB703A77.jpeg
    93796E60-914A-4CF4-B4AA-ACB5EB703A77.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

speedbirdted

Legendary member
I usually build the wing first, but many kits come with an instruction manual and in that case I do whatever it specifies. Usually installation of electronics is the last step for me. A note on the tail, is my personal technique is to get the fuselage and tail covered separately as having the tail on the fuselage sometimes introduces a whole bunch of tight areas that are hard to get into with a covering iron. Just remove the covering in the areas where the tail will get glued on first.

Lilbanks96

Done for the night.
Removable Top hatch is done. Got some inspiration from another Skylark builder.
Servos are test fitted
Stringers are in. Feeling pretty good!

Attachments

• 988C6429-E18A-4C09-9647-AB4C51B3B24C.jpeg
    988C6429-E18A-4C09-9647-AB4C51B3B24C.jpeg
  • 89987F8F-752B-426D-843D-02A0AD83BE22.jpeg
    89987F8F-752B-426D-843D-02A0AD83BE22.jpeg
  • 162968F2-EFFD-4186-B92C-B0BD3E2F30C2.jpeg
    162968F2-EFFD-4186-B92C-B0BD3E2F30C2.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Looking good! :D

As for the order of building, I don't know that I do them the same way twice. Perhaps my decision is really made by what pieces start falling out of the balsa sheets first :D

Lilbanks96

Thanks for the encouragement guys! I will use the shorter servo arms, thanks for the suggestion.

This has been very rewarding so far and I look forward to more building.

But in the back of my mind...I understand I have to cover this airplane...yikes!

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Once you get the hang of it, covering with something like monokote or ultracote is pretty easy. If you decide to be needlessly complex with it like I am it isn't, but if you keep it straightforward you probably won't have any problems.

What will you cover it with? Willy Nillies kits are pretty well suited for a lot of covering types. Pretty much everything from silkspan to tissue paper has been done.

Turbojoe

Elite member
Keep in mind the covering Willy Nillies sells works great, is light and best of all for cheapskates like me it's CHEAP! :) You don't have to buy a full roll so it keeps that first build price way down. You'll need two packs for a build.

Joe

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Keep in mind the covering Willy Nillies sells works great, is light and best of all for cheapskates like me it's CHEAP! :) You don't have to buy a full roll so it keeps that first build price way down. You'll need two packs for a build.

Joe
What kind of properties does that stuff have anyway? Never tried it myself. I already have an unreasonable amount of covering material so it's not like I have reason to buy any :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Turbojoe

Elite member
What kind of properties does that stuff have anyway? Never tried it myself. I already have an unreasonable amount of covering material so it's not like I have reason to buy any :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

It's a worthy replacement for Solite. I used it on my Super Sport. It's not completely opaque but is more opaque than Solite. Solite is a little easier on wingtips etc. but this stuff does just fine. I've got a ton of covering too but I'm running dangerously low on anything light and Nelson closed their doors so Solarfilm and Solite are no longer being made. I lucked out and grabbed 8 new rolls of Solarfilm on eBay today for only $63.00 shipped! I'm a VERY happy camper!

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member
I've tried all kinds of them over the years and now I only use the 21st Century irons. For some reason it looks like they almost doubled in price though and getting hard to find. Maybe discontinued. I'm glad I have a new spare tucked away. Any of the covering irons will work for you though. Just don't expect the really cheap ones to last long or have consistent heat. I've even seen people cover with a clothes iron! I'd never try it for fear of dropping it and crushing something. My advice is to skip the little trim sealing irons. I have one and get better results with my regular iron.

Joe

Lilbanks96

Covering is on the horizon, but need to create some wings!
got started by reading Mark Occhionero’s manual on building WN wings. Good stuff.

Got the pieces organized and popped out and sanded.

Let the building begin.

Attachments

• 6957CB64-78A8-46C1-9F7E-5FDE585E44AF.jpeg
    6957CB64-78A8-46C1-9F7E-5FDE585E44AF.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • CD4ADA73-ECD3-4B56-B4B8-884BF1C1476D.jpeg
    CD4ADA73-ECD3-4B56-B4B8-884BF1C1476D.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Yay! Which dihedral option are you gonna use? (I think this comes with multiple options like the Eaglet does) Using the option that gives a little bit would probably give you the best handling - a little bit of dihedral cancels out the inverted pendulum effect that all low wing planes inherently have, and makes the plane handle pretty neutrally.

You might actually not need the shear webbing. The wing is plenty stiff even without it.