First Balsa Build: Willy Nillies JR. Skylark

Lilbanks96

COMPLETE!

Wow that was a challenge but super rewarding. I made so many mistakes, haha! Learned on the fly and ended up with a airplane that is SO far from perfect but one I am proud of.

Will she fly? That is too be determined. I made a mistake glueing in the dihedral pieces and ended up with a pretty flat wing (maybe drooping slightly on the right side.) that is a worry of mine going into the maiden.

She balances on the spar a little nose down which I like. My control throws are fairly small. I haven’t measured them yet. I have to do that before the maiden.

Thanks for all your help everyone! Looking forward to getting a flight video sometime soon.

Happy Flying!

Attachments

• FBB5DF27-8491-4BEB-8C83-D8BBBE0DFA5F.jpeg
    FBB5DF27-8491-4BEB-8C83-D8BBBE0DFA5F.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 96B8828F-F451-4083-8A88-E9A5D68339DC.jpeg
    96B8828F-F451-4083-8A88-E9A5D68339DC.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • C2DBF838-3D9C-4D28-B01D-E04DE0BC4BA7.jpeg
    C2DBF838-3D9C-4D28-B01D-E04DE0BC4BA7.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0

speedbirdted

Legendary member
Great for a first build. Looks like you could shrink the covering some more; I'm not sure entirely of the properties of WillyKote but I think the shrinkage range is about 320-350 deg. Just be careful if you decide to use a heat gun; move quickly and keep it about 1-1.5 feet from the surface at all times to prevent burning holes in things or pulling edges. You can do it with the iron too and this is the method preferred by some people; I've never personally liked it, but just brush the iron over the surface lightly while applying no real pressure to ensure nothing gets stuck to anything it shouldn't be (most covering films require more pressure than heat to adhere properly)

Lilbanks96

Great for a first build. Looks like you could shrink the covering some more; I'm not sure entirely of the properties of WillyKote but I think the shrinkage range is about 320-350 deg. Just be careful if you decide to use a heat gun; move quickly and keep it about 1-1.5 feet from the surface at all times to prevent burning holes in things or pulling edges. You can do it with the iron too and this is the method preferred by some people; I've never personally liked it, but just brush the iron over the surface lightly while applying no real pressure to ensure nothing gets stuck to anything it shouldn't be (most covering films require more pressure than heat to adhere properly)

That is kinda what I thought too. But I do not have a heat gun and I was worried I would shrink it too much with my iron.

My wife has a hairdryer haha!

Turbojoe

Elite member
I shrunk the covering like speedbirdted suggested. I can definitely tell the difference and the model looks a lot better!

The maiden is to come when the wind calms down this week! Thanks!!

I'd say good luck but you won't need luck. It'll fly just fine. Don't forget to video the maiden. I think Doug may still be giving a discount on your next kit when you post a video of the maiden flight. (Check with Doug though).

Joe

Turbojoe

Elite member
That's what it's all about. The great experience! Doug has filled a void that other kitters have avoided at their loss. Awesome kits and completion items at very affordable prices. He doesn't gouge us on price like so many other places do. It seems he genuinely has our best interest at heart. Not too many sellers like that in the hobby anymore.......;)

Joe

Willy Nillies

Elite member
That's what it's all about. The great experience! Doug has filled a void that other kitters have avoided at their loss. Awesome kits and completion items at very affordable prices. He doesn't gouge us on price like so many other places do. It seems he genuinely has our best interest at heart. Not too many sellers like that in the hobby anymore.......;)

Joe

Thank you Joe and Brandon for the kind words. It means a lot! This isn't just a business or about making money to us.

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com

TooJung2Die

Master member
Thank you Joe and Brandon for the kind words. It means a lot! This isn't just a business or about making money to us.

Sincerely,
Doug and Becky
WillyNillies.com
I was just wondering how you do it and if you're even breaking even. Your prices are better than any other kit makers for similar stuff. I'll be using you for supplies I need for other builds (like the Twin Cyclone I just finished). Thank you, best of luck and keep going!
Jon

Lilbanks96

Maiden Flight is in the books!

SHE FLIES! She flies really well too! You can skip to 1:30 to see some close flying after I trimmed it out. Shout out to my awesome wife and her commentary!

You can hear my comments in the video but I am so excited! Gotta get my hands on another kit soon.

I did break one landing gear on my really rough grass landing. But other than that...no damage, just a happy builder and flyer.