First build complete

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Welcome to the forums!

If you run into any problems with the maiden just give us a shout - lots of folks here are happy to help make sure you are fully hooked in the hobby :p

So I had my maiden flight a couple of days ago. It didn’t go as well as I would like. The plane had a huge tendency to dive toward the ground and I couldn’t give it enough trim to counter act it. I spent the whole session having to pull back on the elevator to keep it out of the ground. I had some major wave action going on with over correcting and then the plane slamming back toward the ground when I let off too much. The plane was very sluggish too and would plummet to earth when banking at a higher angle. I’m guessing I need to change my default elevator location so it is giving more lift. Also I’m going to use a 3s battery instead of the 2s flite test recommends. I took some significant damage from my crashes, but nothing that packing tape and hot glue couldn’t fix. My elevator control horn popping loose stopped my testing so I only got about 4 brief flights in before I had to pack it in. I’ve got some 700mah 3s batteries on the way from HK so I’ll give it another go after they come in. Stay tuned.

Mad_Mechanic

First thing that comes to my mind, did you double-check your CG with the battery installed? Sounds like it was perhaps nose heavy. If that is true, it might not be the only issue. I think you have a good plan to check your control surfaces.

Still, sounds like it was in the air so that must be a good feeling!

First thing that comes to my mind, did you double-check your CG with the battery installed? Sounds like it was perhaps nose heavy. If that is true, it might not be the only issue. I think you have a good plan to check your control surfaces.

Still, sounds like it was in the air so that must be a good feeling!

I did check my CG with battery in it. It was about 1/2 inch back from the leading edge of the wing.

Yea I was glad it got into the air and that I officially made a plane. But, I had much higher expectations of it being a much more stable platform. I expected my own lack of skill to cause the crashes, not a plane that was fighting me the whole time.

Mad_Mechanic

@Enderwrath - I think the CG is a big part of your problem.

On the flight test store for the Tiny Trainer, it states that the CG should be 1.5 - 1.75 inches back from the leading edge of the wing.
TT CoG.PNG

https://store.flitetest.com/flite-t...-electric-airplane-kit-940mm-flt-1023/p673687

So if your CG is moved forward about 1 inch, it's going to be nose heavy.

Last edited:
@Enderwrath - I think the CG is a big part of your problem.

On the flight test store for the Tiny Trainer, it states that the CG should be 1.5 - 1.75 inches back from the leading edge of the wing.
View attachment 124236
https://store.flitetest.com/flite-t...-electric-airplane-kit-940mm-flt-1023/p673687

So if your CG is moved forward about 1 inch, it's going to be nose heavy.

It seemed like Josh Bixler put the CG way forward of that in the build video. But your advice is well taken. I’ll try moving the battery back a bunch more when I try to fly it next and get the CG further back.

Headbang

Master member
Your not the first, won't be the last to take a first flight with cg off. Almost every plane I maiden that someone else built has the cg off by a lot. Fortunately I have enough experience and a reasonable enough memory to know approx where the cg should be on most plane designs. So corrections get made before flight. Surprising amount of arf/rtf planes have the cg wrong in the instructions or marked on the airframe!

Keep at it! Only way to know anything for sure is to just keep doing it.

Mad_Mechanic

I think in another video (Walmart foam gliders made into rc) Bixler mentions CG typically being around 1/3 back from leading edge. There will be variation depending on plane of course, every airframe is a bit different.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Enderwrath, I was looking at the picture in your first post. It looks like a Speed Build Kit. If it is, the CG point is marked under the wing by a little circle on either side of the fuse. If you don't have those, I'd be happy to take measurement for you of where mine are.

Also, you built the Sport Wing. Much more difficult first flight than the polyhedral training wing.

I am very glad you got it in the air, even if you did crash. I believe that we can get you in air and you flying. Keep at it! Part of the experience is the build process. We'll get that sorted out and then we can work on flying skills. We are right here, with you, bro.

If you've read either of my build threads, you'll know that I went through my own problems as well, (only my experience was a bit more painful). I'm still a flying noobie (HA! Possible name for my surely doomed DR1! Eff'N. Flying Newbie. ((with other connotations)) I love it! Anyway, sorry, those moments happen for me :D).

What I was trying to say is I'm still learning and crashing, too. It's the members here of this forum family that are teaching me how to be better, and I get so much unbridled joy when the plane is in the air, I want you to feel it too.

We'll get you there, Enderwath. You've already got the right attitude, and with that all things in RC Flight are possible. :)

Enderwrath, I was looking at the picture in your first post. It looks like a Speed Build Kit. If it is, the CG point is marked under the wing by a little circle on either side of the fuse. If you don't have those, I'd be happy to take measurement for you of where mine are.

Also, you built the Sport Wing. Much more difficult first flight than the polyhedral training wing.

I am very glad you got it in the air, even if you did crash. I believe that we can get you in air and you flying. Keep at it! Part of the experience is the build process. We'll get that sorted out and then we can work on flying skills. We are right here, with you, bro.

If you've read either of my build threads, you'll know that I went through my own problems as well, (only my experience was a bit more painful). I'm still a flying noobie (HA! Possible name for my surely doomed DR1! Eff'N. Flying Newbie. ((with other connotations)) I love it! Anyway, sorry, those moments happen for me :D).

What I was trying to say is I'm still learning and crashing, too. It's the members here of this forum family that are teaching me how to be better, and I get so much unbridled joy when the plane is in the air, I want you to feel it too.

We'll get you there, Enderwath. You've already got the right attitude, and with that all things in RC Flight are possible. :)

Thanks for the encouragement Buzz. I scratch built the kit from dollar tree foam board and plans from FT I printed out and taped together. Later today I’m going to make my own CG points under the wings where the are supposed to be by measuring out the proper distance from the leading edge and making marks with a sharpie. Then I’ll balance the plane from there using the batter first and then I guess adding a little weight in the back if I have to.

slipshift

Enderwrath, I was going to suggest you check the printed plans but when I checked, I couldn't find the CG on them. I never checked the CG and learning on my own I launched at full power. All 6 of my first builds flew like a boomerang, looping and full throttle into the ground about 20' behind me. I never understood why everyone was saying how easy the TT was to fly, I do now.l

Jim

Mad_Mechanic

I never really noticed that about the Tiny Trainer but @buzzbomb is correct, there are two different wing layouts. One is the trainer wing with the wing tips bent up. This wing is meant for trainer flying with a 2s battery.

The wing you built is the 'advanced' wing and is meant for sport flying with a 3s battery.

I found there is an interactive digital build guide available from Flite Test here:
http://fr.zone-secure.net/11829/124085/#page=3

On page 3 there are bookmarks for the build plans for both wings.

I'll be continuing to watch this thread as it evolves. Looking forward to hearing more about your experience @Enderwrath!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Video of my most recent flight testing. Messing with the CG definitely helped. The video was shot by my five year old son. He was an awesome assistant.
I was watching and thinking to myself, "Can he find a field with any more obstacles to collide with", when the flight suddenly ended in a tree!

Sorry I did find the irony somewhat humorous.

Apart from the sudden end the flight was good and you seemed to have reasonably good control. Well done - You can start thinking about what to build and fly next!

Have fun!

Mad_Mechanic

Just going off the description of your first flight, that flight looked a lot better.

I'm going to have the same problem finding a nice open area to fly in when I get ready to take my first plane up. I suspect there will be much wing damage from trees and light poles.

It flew waaaay better. And yes that field is full of obstacles. But it is very close to my house. A very helpful kid climbed up into the tree and got to down for me. I had a few more flights after getting it out of the tree till I broke the propeller. All in all I am very happy. Minor damage to repair but nothing major. I like my little airplane.

Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Wow, what a difference! You've got to be proud of that flight! I am in total agreement with Hai-Lee. The only thing missing was anti-air defense installations! I am seriously impressed at how well you navigated that obstacle course until that tree threw out a tentacle (who knew they had those) and grabbed your plane.

Your lucky you had help to retrieve it before it was eaten. We've seen that happen. :p

And your five-year old videographer? He's better at it than I am, LOL!