First build for someone else complete!

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
What do you think?
IMG_20181121_201832640.jpg IMG_20181121_201856201.jpg

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
It looks nicely made, but I don't see any reflex on the elevons.
It's there when the servos are half way on their travel. John needs to add his own receiver and tune it. I prefer to use the adjusters on the pushrods, my wire bending skills are not accurate enough for the way Josh does it in thier builds :)

Last edited:

Ventus

Very clean and precise looking build (y).

I also got me some black FB recently (it's actually slightly lighter than the white one I use). Gonna make the cockpit on the Sbach out of it, then maybe use more of it for the next project... Looks very nice.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
It looks good Caroline. How's the weight? My OfficeMax black foamboard was considerably heavier than even their white which is already heavier.

donalson

looks good... just black foam board for the fuse?

and I'm with you on using the push rod stop things... I struggle bending the lengths right... tried and had to throw away (er trim down and use on another build) too many push rods

PoorManRC

Master member
looks good... just black foam board for the fuse?

and I'm with you on using the push rod stop things... I struggle bending the lengths right... tried and had to throw away (er trim down and use on another build) too many push rods

I'll Third that!! (y)(y)
Granted, even Josh made some valid points for them, and against them, only in situations where your Servos will be buried and inaccessible.

ANYTHING with a Screw, has the potential to come loose....
That's why there's Blue Loctite!! ;)

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
I know what you mean about those Bixler Bends. I once feared them as well. You should learn to embrace them. Learn to think holistically. By that I mean, get as close as you can, utilizing the final control horn and servo placement as a rough adjustment. Then use your transmitter configuration to adjust the sub trim for fine adjustment. Seems to work well.

donalson

the bends themselves are easy... it's getting them at the right place... doing them on lower throw builds makes a lot of sense... trimming it up doesn't effect the end points for max throw... I have done some, and on other builds I've done the U shaped bend on the rod to adjust it...

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
It looks good Caroline. How's the weight? My OfficeMax black foamboard was considerably heavier than even their white which is already heavier.
Weight is 345gms excluding the receiver and battery.
I love how the Goblin flys and it was flying my Goblin that decided on John asking for me to build him one :)
Blue Loctite is super stuff.

Last edited:

PoorManRC

Master member
Weight is 345gms excluding the receiver band battery.
I love how the Goblin flys and it was flying my Goblin that decided on John asking for me to build him one :)
Blue Loctite is super stuff.

Caroline, I have NO experience with Flying Wings....
Frankly, except for FULL SIZE Planes, I still have NO experience in RC Flight - yet.
Is this something that a relative N00B can fly??

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Caroline, I have NO experience with Flying Wings....
Frankly, except for FULL SIZE Planes, I still have NO experience in RC Flight - yet.
Is this something that a relative N00B can fly??
I'm still very much a learner myself. This wing scared me initially and I got a very experienced pilot to maiden it. He trimmed it and enjoyed the wide range of flight performance this design has which gave me confidence in my build.
Next flight I got him to launch and land it and I had a fly in-between.
Now I do the whole flight and to be honest, this plane is very docile and forgiving, don't even know why I was so scared of it.
A first plane it isn't, you have to hand launch it and that takes a bit of practice but I would recommend it as a second plane.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Hand launching....... (shudder)

The bane of my fixed wing flying hehe.

Looks great kiddo. You have come a long way in a short time.
There is loads of good advise and teaching available at my RC Club - it really helps.
Come the nicer weather next year I'm looking forward to achieving my A certificate.

Last edited: