First Build: From LongEZ to not-so-easy Starship >_<

GMalatrasi

That thing looks awesome~ What manner of power you plannin' on for it?
- 2x iFlight iPower MT1806 2300kv
- 2x Flycolor Raptor BLS-Pro 30A ESCs
- For props, I ordered two: Gemfan Flash 6042 6.0x4.2 Bi-blades and some Gemfan 6X4 6040HE Bi-blades

I'll be running it on 2S at first since it's what I have, will need to buy some 3S batteries if it needs more power.

JennyC6

Elite member
- 2x iFlight iPower MT1806 2300kv
- 2x Flycolor Raptor BLS-Pro 30A ESCs
- For props, I ordered two: Gemfan Flash 6042 6.0x4.2 Bi-blades and some Gemfan 6X4 6040HE Bi-blades

I'll be running it on 2S at first since it's what I have, will need to buy some 3S batteries if it needs more power.

Looks to me like itt'l scream on those motors and props! It's not very heavy, it's quite slippery...it'd probably fly on just one of them truth be told. 2S oughtta give ya plenty of punch.

I'll be keeping track of your build. Looks like a fun little plane. Can't wait to build one myself once plans come out!

Gonna be pushers on the rear of those nacelles?

GMalatrasi

Looks to me like itt'l scream on those motors and props! It's not very heavy, it's quite slippery...it'd probably fly on just one of them truth be told. 2S oughtta give ya plenty of punch.

I'll be keeping track of your build. Looks like a fun little plane. Can't wait to build one myself once plans come out!

Gonna be pushers on the rear of those nacelles?

Thanks! Yup pushers on each nacelle.
I just hope it survives it's maiden... >_<

GMalatrasi

It should do just fine. Foamboard's tough stuff. As long as you get the CG 'close enough' you shouldn't destroy it on maiden.
I have no doubt the plane will do fine... it's the pilot that worries me! lol

Anywho... Gotta wait for the weather to improve before anything happens. We actually got some flurries here this morning and it's been drizzling all afternoon.

JennyC6

Elite member
I have no doubt the plane will do fine... it's the pilot that worries me! lol

Anywho... Gotta wait for the weather to improve before anything happens. We actually got some flurries here this morning and it's been drizzling all afternoon.

I'm in a similar boat with my nitro Spear. If the waether cooperates I'll maiden it either this afternoon or sometime tomorrow.

GMalatrasi

I'm in a similar boat with my nitro Spear. If the waether cooperates I'll maiden it either this afternoon or sometime tomorrow.

I have a few more things to do before I can maiden... Control horns and pushrods need to be installed, firewalls need to be made so i can mount the motors, and iNav needs to be updated and configured.

JennyC6

Elite member
I have a few more things to do before I can maiden... Control horns and pushrods need to be installed, firewalls need to be made so i can mount the motors, and iNav needs to be updated and configured.

Fun stuff. Hopefully it goes a bit easier for you than my Spear has been. I spent three weeks fighting a fuel system issue where one engine would run like clockwork while the other barely ran at all. Had to spend a fair bit with the FPV system as well...I ordered a pair of Eeachine 1000tvl cameras and a pair of Eachine TX805 transmitters, cameras work a treat, but the transmitter I tried to use didn't seem to broadcast. Ended up stealing the transmitter from my CA-10 to get FPV working in the Spear.

I'm running Betaflight on a Matek F411 FC for driving the FPV OSD, but my actual flight controls are on a totally separate system. I fly on a Futaba 6J and it has elevon mixing built in so I'm running the flight controls solely off that.

IMG_20190308_083332.jpg

IMG_20190308_084148.jpg

IMG_20190308_084121.jpg

Perhaps FPV is something you could do on your canard plane, too? You've already got an FC, so OSD is there and waiting.

GMalatrasi

Fun stuff. Hopefully it goes a bit easier for you than my Spear has been. I spent three weeks fighting a fuel system issue where one engine would run like clockwork while the other barely ran at all. Had to spend a fair bit with the FPV system as well...I ordered a pair of Eeachine 1000tvl cameras and a pair of Eachine TX805 transmitters, cameras work a treat, but the transmitter I tried to use didn't seem to broadcast. Ended up stealing the transmitter from my CA-10 to get FPV working in the Spear.

I'm running Betaflight on a Matek F411 FC for driving the FPV OSD, but my actual flight controls are on a totally separate system. I fly on a Futaba 6J and it has elevon mixing built in so I'm running the flight controls solely off that.

IMG_20190308_083332.jpg

IMG_20190308_084148.jpg

IMG_20190308_084121.jpg

Perhaps FPV is something you could do on your canard plane, too? You've already got an FC, so OSD is there and waiting.

FPV was part of the plan when I decided to go with the F411. XD
Camera.PNG

JennyC6

Elite member
FPV was part of the plan when I decided to go with the F411. XD
View attachment 126021
Hah, even running the same FC I am! Whole reason I bought it was for OSD and telemetry, but I suppose I could reconfigure things a bit and run the whole plane off of it as well.

Perchance, does INav offer any different OSD elements or graphics compared to BEtaflight? I have the INav software installed and could easily reflash if I wanted to.

GMalatrasi

Hah, even running the same FC I am! Whole reason I bought it was for OSD and telemetry, but I suppose I could reconfigure things a bit and run the whole plane off of it as well.

Perchance, does INav offer any different OSD elements or graphics compared to BEtaflight? I have the INav software installed and could easily reflash if I wanted to.
I haven't gotten in too deep with it yet but the UI looks just like Betaflight as far as I could see, just a different color.

JennyC6

Elite member
I haven't gotten in too deep with it yet but the UI looks just like Betaflight as far as I could see, just a different color.
Mm, same, I haven't done any real tinkering in it either. Given I have the FC solely for OSD purposes I'll go do some digging, might swap mine over to INav if it has better OSD stuff than Betaflight.

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Mm, same, I haven't done any real tinkering in it either. Given I have the FC solely for OSD purposes I'll go do some digging, might swap mine over to INav if it has better OSD stuff than Betaflight.
They are both branches of CleanFlight, so have a lot of similarity.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
@GMalatrasi I hear you for a guy who just had three weeks from work recovering from and outpatient surgery, you would have thought, "that nut-job will have 20 planes completed!" nut alas. Don't feel bad.

We're excited about how this ends up.

GMalatrasi

@GMalatrasi I hear you for a guy who just had three weeks from work recovering from and outpatient surgery, you would have thought, "that nut-job will have 20 planes completed!" nut alas. Don't feel bad.

We're excited about how this ends up.
Thanks FoamyDM... I hope your recovery went well.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Thanks FoamyDM... I hope your recovery went well.
Thanks it did. Recovery is mostly done. Occasionally a twist here or there gives me notice. and pushing on the scar gives me pause.
Did you locate any gear on this, or get a maiden? Do you need a friend to come visit your corner of the state and help? :D
I know I'm not the only one drooling over this beast. My girlfriend who used to work at Piedmont Airlines would like to see it fly too!

GMalatrasi

Thanks it did. Recovery is mostly done. Occasionally a twist here or there gives me notice. and pushing on the scar gives me pause.
Did you locate any gear on this, or get a maiden? Do you need a friend to come visit your corner of the state and help? :D
I know I'm not the only one drooling over this beast. My girlfriend who used to work at Piedmont Airlines would like to see it fly too!
Glad to hear!
Unfortunately it's still waiting for me to make time to finish adding control rods and setting up the FC (needs a firmware update).o_O
But I promise I'll do my best to finish it up in the next 2-3 weeks.
I'll let you know when it's ready in case you want to come witness the maiden. :LOL:

PS: I've started reworking the CAD model for Version 2 when I have some free time at work, it should build easier and look even better!
1558386071428.png