First Build: From LongEZ to not-so-easy Starship >_<

GMalatrasi

Hello Everyone, and welcome to my first scratch build thread!

This all started when I decided it was time to build my first foam board plane and went on to order the speed-build kit for the FT LongEZ.
Once I ordered that, I began to order all the electronic components for it; and I figured it'd get extras for everything. ^_^

But... As I waited for the stuff to arrive, I got the crazy idea to build a foam board Beechcraft Starship!
Starship.png Sexy ain't it... ^_^

So I started looking into it... Soon I realized that, since I ordered spares, I already had, on order at least, everything I would need for the new build.

Here's the component list so far:
- 2x iFlight iPower MT1806 2300kv
- 2x Flycolor Raptor BLS-Pro 30A ESCs
- For props, I ordered two: Gemfan Flash 6042 6.0x4.2 Bi-blades and some Gemfan 6X4 6040HE Bi-blades
- 2x SG51R 5g Servos
- FrSky V8R4-II 2.4Ghz 4CH Receiver
I'll be running this on 2S for now since it's what I have on hand.
(Feel free to voice your concerns if any regarding the parts listed for this application)

On to the plane itself!
Since I have access to professional CAD software at work, I started modeling up some study files after hours to figure out the general dimensions based on the prop size. It came out to have a 36" which seems a good size to me. So I continued on designing the whole thing.

Here's a couple of screenshots:
Model Pic1.PNG Model Pic2.PNG

It'll use elevon mixing and differential thrust. I did push the motors further apart to improve yaw authority.

Currently, I'm testing the 3D-to-2D process creating scale drawings to use as cutting templates and test building the parts to make sure i didn't overlook something. Then fix the CAD models accordingly.
More Pics:
Nacelles.PNG Inner Fus.PNG Canard.PNG image1.jpeg

I'm also trying to find the best solution to the elevon actuation issue... I dont want to have the pushrod on the bottom of the wing, so i'm considering torque arm links through the center section of the wing.
Something like this, maybe have the tube (shown in red) going all the way to the fuselage or maybe just to the engine nacelle and do individual servos in each nacelle...? Ideas would be great!
Elevon tube.PNG

Update#1:
I figured it was a good idea to get some stick time in before I start test flying an unproven aircraft so started building the FT LongEZ kit.
Should be able to fly this LongEZ while working on the Starship build.
56150597519__6CC3E7E8-7377-4BD4-BF08-4BB71A17E482.JPG 56150807232__86F14065-997D-43CD-92E0-46E0CBB6F638.JPG

Had to do some surgery to fit my bigger servos.
56151020539__7AEAC530-B64A-4132-9396-2430888F61BF.JPG

Good stopping point for the first night:
IMG_4196.JPG

Got a shipment of goodies too:
IMG_4192.JPG

After, what felt like a month of waiting for the new ESC to arrive, I finally finished the LongEZ speed-build kit.
image1.jpeg

Unfortunately, the weather is starting to get all wintery here, cold and windy, cold for me at least.
I'll see how much stick time I can get in before it gets too cold and windy. >_<

Next I'll get back to building the simple prototype of the Starship!

Anyway, I'll keep updating this post as I move along. So stay tuned, and don't hold back on the suggestions, advice, concerns, criticisms, etc.
All are welcome!

Last edited:

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
Nice. I want to build one. (both planes)
I know I say that to nearly every plane build, but It's true!
Keep at it.

GMalatrasi

Quick question:
My ESCs are meant for quads so they don't have the third wire going to the Rx, this means i can't power the Rx from the ESC.
ESC.png
Can I power the Rx directly from the battery?
I'll be running a 2S bat. and the Rx says it can do up to 16V. So I'm guessing it's ok...?
Other solutions:
- Buy new ESC with integrated BEC and three pin connector
- Buy separate BEC to power the Rx
What do you guys think?

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Quick question:
My ESCs are meant for quads so they don't have the third wire going to the Rx, this means i can't power the Rx from the ESC.
View attachment 117023
Can I power the Rx directly from the battery?
I'll be running a 2S bat. and the Rx says it can do up to 16V. So I'm guessing it's ok...?
Other solutions:
- Buy new ESC with integrated BEC and three pin connector
- Buy separate BEC to power the Rx
What do you guys think?
Using a separate BEC usually gives the cleanest power to a receiver, but this is a small plane and the weight saving of using an ESC with a BEC is good. Make sure its at least 2A rated. I put one in a model where the ESC's BEC was only .5A......learnt the hard way.
Caroline

GMalatrasi

Using a separate BEC usually gives the cleanest power to a receiver, but this is a small plane and the weight saving of using an ESC with a BEC is good. Make sure its at least 2A rated. I put one in a model where the ESC's BEC was only .5A......learnt the hard way.
Caroline
So that's a "No" on the straight VBAT power... :(

Andrew

G'day Mate
....Can I power the Rx directly from the battery?
I'll be running a 2S bat. and the Rx says it can do up to 16V. So I'm guessing it's ok...?.....
NO, your servos are most likely to be 5-6volt servos, they won't last long running on 2S

d8veh

Elite member
Huh... I wouldn't have guessed the Rx would pass VBAT to the servos... Ok, I guess I need to order new ESCs.
2A BECs are pretty small - much smaller than an ESC, so it's really just a matter of cost. You can get quad motors with an ESC (that has a BEC) and propellers for less than $10.

I'm new around these parts. Isn't a Beechcraft Starship basically a twin engine FT Long EZ? I thought I'd seen in full scale a bird like the LongEZ, but couldn't place it. Looks FAB! Like to see the Maiden Video.

GMalatrasi

2A BECs are pretty small - much smaller than an ESC, so it's really just a matter of cost. You can get quad motors with an ESC (that has a BEC) and propellers for less than $10.
Already have quad ESCs, that's the main issue. So i can either run the current ESCs and a BEC or just get the ESC with the integrated BEC.
I think the latter is the better choice.

I'm new around these parts. Isn't a Beechcraft Starship basically a twin engine FT Long EZ? I thought I'd seen in full scale a bird like the LongEZ, but couldn't place it. Looks FAB! Like to see the Maiden Video.
In general design, yeah pretty much, but it's quite a bit bigger.
Maiden video...? I can't promise that but we'll see if I can wrangle someone else to come with and play camera man.

Curious... FT Power Packs? Like a PP-B (Pack B Includes 2 ESC's BLHeli 20A w/XT-60 connectors, 2 Motors Emax 2213-935, 4 Props 2-10X4.5/2-9X4.5 CW&CCW, 6 Emax ES08AII 9 gram servos, 1 Y-power lead XT-60 connectors, 4 20 cm servo extensions, set of linkage stoppers, Allen wrench and screw driver. Pack B $85.00
Or the FT Power Pack C, made for the FT Guinea Pig (1473 mm wingspan) for $10 more.

Last edited:

GMalatrasi

Curious... FT Power Packs? Like a PP-B (Pack B Includes 2 ESC's BLHeli 20A w/XT-60 connectors, 2 Motors Emax 2213-935, 4 Props 2-10X4.5/2-9X4.5 CW&CCW, 6 Emax ES08AII 9 gram servos, 1 Y-power lead XT-60 connectors, 4 20 cm servo extensions, set of linkage stoppers, Allen wrench and screw driver. Pack B $85.00
Or the FT Power Pack C, made for the FT Guinea Pig (1473 mm wingspan) for $10 more.
I designed it based on the components I already had. (See first post for specs).
If I didn't already have all the other stuff, getting a power pack would be a good idea.

Looking again at your overhead 3D wing detail pic in asking about servo linkage ideas. If the engine pod sat next to the elevon, couldn't the servos sit inside the outboard pod wall and direct action the elevon? Close to the action of the LongEZ servo location? You did push the engine pods outboard further to improve yaw authority. Would moving then farther out help that, or cause another problem?

GMalatrasi

Looking again at your overhead 3D wing detail pic in asking about servo linkage ideas. If the engine pod sat next to the elevon, couldn't the servos sit inside the outboard pod wall and direct action the elevon? Close to the action of the LongEZ servo location? You did push the engine pods outboard further to improve yaw authority. Would moving then farther out help that, or cause another problem?
I'd rather not move the pods any further for aesthetic reasons... Currently i'm thinking I'll fit the servo body in the wing just outboard of the pod and the servo arm within the pod to link to the torque arm inside the pod. We'll see how it all works out when I model up the servo in CAD.